Questions about buying a new KDX.

Fatherof2

May 17, 2009
Hi Gang,

I found a 2001 KDX 200 with 16 miles on it. The seller is asking 1300 bux. I went to see the bike, and it has about an inch of dust on it, but it is in otherwise mint condition. The little nubs are still on the tires. It no longer has any coolant or gas in it. The owner thinks it evaporated as he does not recall draining it. Can anyone suggest things to look for or concerns I should have? It seems like a wonderful deal, so I put a deposit on it. It is 100% stock. Thanks for any input guys.

David

Acblind

Aug 21, 2010

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
buy some 50/50 and a funnel and put the mix in the right radiator while venting the left radiator (there is a nut on top) dont spill any!! then look for leakage

I'm not sure where it was stored and if it was just staight water in it, it could be big trouble if it had froze inside the engine, other than that you can not loose if its like new.

if I were the owner I would clean it and get it running and sell for more like $2000-$2500

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
sr5bidder said:
if I were the owner I would clean it and get it running and sell for more like $2000-$2500
Wow, bikes won't fetch a premium price like that in my area! :yikes: Around here, used late mdel bikes go for anywhere between 900 and 1700 dollars realistically and I just saw a 2003 totally stock KDX220 for 1000 dollars with a couple hundred miles on it. Was considering buying it at that price, just as a backup machine for my 03.

Acblind

Aug 21, 2010
Where are you from?

I bought my 95 KDX 200 in CT not to long ago for 1300, and it came loaded with all the mods you see in my signiture....

Fatherof2

May 17, 2009
I am about 20 miles north of Boston.

Those are some good deals that you guys have mentioned.

I still feel like this is a decent deal.

Hope it works out.

Thanks for the input guys.

David

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
Dirtdame said:
Wow, bikes won't fetch a premium price like that in my area! :yikes: Around here, used late mdel bikes go for anywhere between 900 and 1700 dollars realistically and I just saw a 2003 totally stock KDX220 for 1000 dollars with a couple hundred miles on it. Was considering buying it at that price, just as a backup machine for my 03.

well I need to come to your area IF I get my bonus in march I need a kdx for a project that I can't do to my kdx, I'm from the atlanta area:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/2072598170.html
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/2120805947.html
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/mcy/2116217538.html

the last one is not a bad price but would assume its top end time

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
I just bought a 2002 KDX220 with very low hours. I paid $2000 and thought it was a little steep, but the bike is super clean. It also came with some goodies like a FMF pipe and silencer, nice gripper seat, bark busters, aftermarket pegs and a nice Protaper bar. I have been shopping for a KDX for almost a year and the clean ones tend to fetch a premium around here. Of course, you can buy one of similar year that has had the hell ridden out of it for $1300 to $1600, but my thinking is that you will spend more in the long run on parts and time.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Personally, I wouldnt buy anything that I couldnt hear run...regardless of appearance. Also, I would never trust anything anyone says about hours or miles..the bike should tell the story.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
jb_dallas said:
Personally, I wouldnt buy anything that I couldnt hear run...regardless of appearance. Also, I would never trust anything anyone says about hours or miles..the bike should tell the story.

yeah it would be nice to at least start it up

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
jb_dallas said:
I just bought a 2002 KDX220 with very low hours. I paid $2000 and thought it was a little steep, but the bike is super clean. It also came with some goodies like a FMF pipe and silencer, nice gripper seat, bark busters, aftermarket pegs and a nice Protaper bar. I have been shopping for a KDX for almost a year and the clean ones tend to fetch a premium around here. Of course, you can buy one of similar year that has had the hell ridden out of it for $1300 to $1600, but my thinking is that you will spend more in the long run on parts and time.

maybe urban mith but did you consider a new piston for that 220??

Acblind

Aug 21, 2010
Best of luck to you.
I hope it ends up being one killer machine for pretty cheap.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
sr5bidder said:
yes I know.. atleast we know we can load up and go ride without worry...
off this week wanna hit P.C ??

Working all week...

Thinking about pulling my carb and sending it off to ron as a x-mas gift to myself.

Congrats on the bike, you'll love it. Shoulda got a 2 hunny though, lol.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Fatherof2 said:
Hi Gang,

I found a 2001 KDX 200 with 16 miles on it. It no longer has any coolant or gas in it.

If the owner drained the gas (from carb, too) and coolant nine years ago, then you are in fat city.
If not, you've got some problems to take care of.
One thing: coolant does not evaporate, it was either boiled off, leaked out, or was drained. Just so you know.
The fact that the owner "can't remember" should raise a red flag.
I have a rule: if the owner cannot/will not start the vehicle he is selling, I offer exactly half of his asking price. If it won't run, there is a reason and the reasons are not usually cheap to fix. If they were, he'd have fixed it and have a running machine.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
sr5

There is a thread on this forum discussing the piston topic that I posted a few weeks ago. Just like most things, people have differing opinions...most leaning towards replacement. Its difficult for me to believe that the piston will just fail without any noise (especially on a bike with so few hours) but I suppose it is possible. I am on the fence...if it bothers me, I will replace it. I sure would be pissed if it shattered and destroyed my bottom end.

Fatherof2

May 17, 2009
Guys,

Can I just throw some coolant in the bike and try to start it?

Do I have very little chance of getting it to run without a carb rebuild first?

Thanks for any input,

David

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
Mudpack brings up a good piont, and I may be assuming too much ...you have kicked it over to make certain eveything turns in side and feels right havent you?

also I'd have the owner, since your coming to seal the deal, dig it out of the corner and clean it off so you can really see what it is and there is no corrosion under the dust from something being spilled on it.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
those tires that have the nubs should be original and have these markings
K695 rear tire
K490 front tire
if not then look really hard because he is lying about the miles and had new tires put on it

Fatherof2

May 17, 2009
Thanks for the input guys.

The bike seems to have plenty of resistance when I kicked it. Everything sounded and felt perfect.

The radiator was full with coolant. The reserve tank was very low.

The tires are original.

I think I found a good one. I will clean it up, and post some pictures.

Thanks again everyone,

David

Top Bottom