rohleder149

Oct 11, 2006
what brand of radiator guards do you guys prefer? I use the Devol ones because i like the frontal and side to side protection they offer. also, they're fairly easy to mount up. they still bend up though. i have to take them off to straighten them quite a bit. what do you guys like?

rosscopeeko

Feb 25, 2005
I'm using Devol too and haven't had them bend yet, but i haven't had a high speed crash since i've put them on. I've dumped my bike numerous times in the woods and they've held up good. Do your have the brace too? Mine have the brace as well and seem really stout. I'm happy with them.

BonChance13

May 7, 2002
I use Rooster guards,like them well enough...basically the same as Devol's,which I have had in the past and liked as well.At least you are tweaking the guards and not your rads...they did their job.I wouldn't run without them.

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
I use CRD Offroad radiator guards on my '04 - http://www.crdoffroad.com/MC_protection.php#plate5 . I like them because they build a cage around your radiators. I've taken a LOT of hits to the sides (new woods rider) and have yet to break a radiator. I took one MAJOR hit to the left side and it bent the guard and bent the radiator a bit but it didn't break - I was able to bend it right back out. They don't provide any frontal protection but at least for me so far frontal protection hasn't been any issue but side impacts have. For my '89 I fabbed up my own - http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=130917 . They work even better than the CRD ones but I didn't feel like spending another 12 hours making a set.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
Devols will bend enough to actualy bend the radiator... Especially when hit from Underneath... I also know 1'st hand on ktm's that it makes the shrouds point out wider. You have to pull them in and heat them to keep them from sticking out and catching limbs.
They still offer better protection than a naked radiator.

But I got me a set of sold billet aluminum guards. So they aren't stamped out of a sheet, but carved out of a block of aluminum. From Bulletproof Designs.
www.bulletproofdesigns.com

joey26

Apr 16, 2002
i made radiator guards for my kx using some pretty thick expanded metal. they seem to work good and it would take a hell of a hit to bend them.

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
joey26 said:
i made radiator guards for my kx using some pretty thick expanded metal. they seem to work good and it would take a hell of a hit to bend them.

how do they look, though?

But I got me a set of sold billet aluminum guards. So they aren't stamped out of a sheet, but carved out of a block of aluminum. From Bulletproof Designs.

$189!!! thats almost a whole new radiator! sure are purdy though.

Josherichy

Sep 23, 2006
Radiator guards will save you allot of money... our cr 250 has them, abig stick was pointing up right a radiator height and when it poked and smashed the guard all we had to do was bend it back witha hammer... it saved the radiator... Just think about that

jumpingjoe628

Mar 15, 2005
I use the Devol rad guards, I had a big rock hit it once and it put a nice size dent on the left side. I would have a ruined radiator if it wasn't for the guard. I have no problem with bending them back. If it was any stiffer than that I would guess that the shock of a big hit like that would be transfered to the rad and damage it.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom