ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
There is also Larocco. Maybe we could have the first Vet MXdN team- just get Mcgrath and we have the +30 class covered.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i seem to remember the last time Bubba was in Europe young Tanel Leok beat him!!!!:)

anyway, back to RC- dont forget the last few times he raced SX Reed beat him on numerous occasions- he has since missed a SX season which Reed won and now, Reed is right behind him outdoors also- showing a wheel.

it seems to me RC is completely focusing now on the upcomming SX series and not loosing it to Reed- i wonder if Reed will now pull from the MXDN also to spend as much time possible getting ready to race RC?????

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
If you are not going to send the best why bother? It seems like the AMA should be more envolved with this deal. If the best riders from each country don't show up then it is just another MX race. It should be set up so that the top 2 riders in the 450(250) and the top rider in the 250(125) class should represent the US. That would make the US team RC, KW and Bubba. The MXDN has been going on for years and is a great MX tradition it will be sad to see it fade into obscurity due to lack of cooperation between the manufacters, the racing organizations and the riders. My hat is off to RC he has been the last 6 times and has always given it his all. My money will be on Chad Reed and the Ausralian Team to take the trophy back to Australia.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
I agree with all the rider's reasonings. I guess I'm just over the whole MXDN and FIM/Dorna/Guiseppe deal. Let's face it, we don't really have a lot to prove over there, it is a huge PITA for the riders and the teams and we don't get good TV coverage of the event.

The way the the FIM handled the 2002 debacle pretty much sealed it for me. Americans weren't important enough and the event itself wasn't important enough to be handled in a professional, first-class manner. Don't even get me started on the Mickey Mouse (Euro version) changes that have been made to the format over the years in order to end the American dominace of the event.

Other than a sense of history, which the FIM hasn't respected (see above), why should we even care anymore?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
MX-727 said:
IOther than a sense of history, which the FIM hasn't respected (see above), why should we even care anymore?

FWIW, this year's event is the return of the 'traditional' format; 3 classes, 2 motos per rider, 2 classes on the track at the same time.

If Bubba on a 125 took it to RC, Smets, Pichon and Everts on a European sand GP track, MX fans worldwide would go nuts! It would be legendary, epic, superlative, etc...

IMO, testing your skills against the world's best, while representing your country, should provide plenty of incentive for the racers.

john3_16

May 17, 2004
bclapham said:
anyway, back to RC- dont forget the last few times he raced SX Reed beat him on numerous occasions- he has since missed a SX season which Reed won and now, Reed is right behind him outdoors also- showing a wheel.QUOTE]

The last race in moto 1 RC had a 14 second lead over Reed.

In moto 2 RC had over 17 second lead over Reed.

I wouldn't call that "right" behind him...That's a pretty huge gap in professional racing.

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
Any of you remember 1986, that our washed up, about to be dumped from Honda, 125 rider,Johnny O, beat everyone except his 250 team mate? I seem to remember one guy Dave Thorpe remarking about how irritating that bumble bee was behind him, speaking of Johnny's 125. He was no other than the world 500 cc champ at the time. I would love to see Bubba ride a 125 at des nations. What an oppurtunity.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I think buuba could beat almost everyone(including 4 stokes 450s) on a 125 in sand -shame he doesnt seem to want to make the US proud of him.He would be riding MX2 class so he doesnt need to ride the 250 2 stroke-cant see a problem , its not like hes burned out from winning every week?? he doesnt often break a sweat??
I think maybe RC could ride his works 450 honda by the sounds of it, IMO he is pissed at the others(windham and bubba) and decided to focus on the other stuff like preparing for him rm ride.

I remember 1986 but alot of board members were not even born :yikes: lets stick to recent history when trying to get bragging rights :nener:

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
dirt bike dave said:
FWIW, this year's event is the return of the 'traditional' format; 3 classes, 2 motos per rider, 2 classes on the track at the same time.

IMO, testing your skills against the world's best, while representing your country, should provide plenty of incentive for the racers.

Yea, I know they are going back to the original format, but too little, too late, for me anyway.

I agree with the incentive to ride against the world's best, that's why I'm very glad that RC, Windham, Reed and Bubba have chosen to ride the full national schedule this year. :p

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
I more than a little bit bitter. It sucks that we are so far down the list before we can find guys who are willing to ride the MXdN's for the USA. It a sad day for me.

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
Funny thing is those who go generally enjoy the event and want to go back. Pastrana's been he knows it can be a real buzz. RC was blown away at how popular he is in Europe and how well the fans treated him. But Rat remember its a team event. Look at Belgium. Everts....now he's fast....but Ramon and Strijbos can be up and down. There are plenty of top 10 US riders who can beat those two on any given day. A solid B team can win too!!

and Marcus if they get into history....tell em about Roggenberg 94.....a real team ride for the win!!!

Australia....well we aint gone close for years.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
*Sarcasm mode on* Well after watching this video VIDEO LINK I can certainly see why Bubba's not going. I mean watch the video Bubba can barely make it around the track on that 250 *Sarcasm mode off*

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
dirt bike dave said:
it would be great if Honda and Suzuki could work something out - either let RC start testing his Suzi early, or let him ride a Honda for this event.

I think the latter makes the most sense. I don't see a downside for anyone, unless RC were to lose.

:yikes:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
before everyone starts with the RC bashing, dont forget he was the only one that gave your team any credability last year.

As opposed to the ZERO credibility given the British riders. All of 'em.

Funny I don't hear you rompin' it up about your fellow countrymen racers, Bruce. Never. Probably because they don't win a thing. All I hear about is Everts, Pichon and an 8th grade phenom who killed poor Bubba, named Leok. God forbid he come over and race in the US. Bubba would be so humiliated. His utter inferiority is shameful.

As far as I know, Britain isn't a prospect, a county, a peninsula, a territory, a subsidiary, a beef by-product, or anything else of Belgium, France, or Africa. They lost all that many years ago, eh? So what is it that allies you to these countries?

What it is, is what it is with 99% of you guys. It's 'everything but the USA, mate".

No offense, of course. Just the way I see it.

Different subject: What about Bubba refusing the MXDN? What does he owe who for anything he does? Maybe he doesn't go because he doesn't CARE? I'd like to see him go, and lap this Leok a few times for good measure--but none of us really know what it takes to go over there, ready everything, race, come home, and a few weeks later race an SX inside a thermopocket on a hotwheels track, on a new 250....etc. Criminy, why all the disgust and criticism?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
LOL we won in 94!!! Dobb was 2001 world champ LOL. I see what you are saying, however the reason we lump the euros against the US is clear-you have such a big country with so many riders that can raise to the top level-how else could we compete, did you know cali has more bikes sold each year than most of europe?

Honda 125s sell in the 10s here-throughout the whole country.

On bubba some of the top US riders seem to be able to go to Japan and race easy enough-sorry mate but it seems weak to me-its not the distance or anything like that-bubba doesnt want to race MXDN and he doesnt care that hes letting the people of america down, plain simple.

Every year its the same-none of the other countries seem to have this problem-even tiny countries that are almost 3rd world.

Let call a spade a spade, the US has the best 250 and 125 class riders who for some reason wont go and prove it.The whole world looks forwards to the epic battle each season-looks like its a case of riders throwing the dummy out the pram to me.

Lets look at it like this-we are told all the time how the americans are the fastest riders on the planet :yikes: -it comes to the only time in each year where it is proven and they wont go :bang: yes we get pissed at it.

This isnt a anti america thread as you seem to think-its a anti weak excuse and anti 'lets spoil the worlds expectations by saying were not going'

Last edited:

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
Yeah.... thats about its the one race a year where 3 of everyone's best come together.....but the best just really couldn't be arsed to turn up..........the US scene is just too big...too much money... nothing else can compete.

Ahhhh for the glory days of national pride.....when people rode because they wanted to go....gone.....sold for two pieces of silver.....and one week of SX practice.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
nephron said:
As opposed to the ZERO credibility given the British riders. All of 'em.

Funny I don't hear you rompin' it up about your fellow countrymen racers,

LOL- seems i have hit a nerve with the Kanas state cornfield-o-cross open class champion.

OK, lets get back to basics here, i said take away RC from the results and what do we have- well, all we heard before the 03MXDN was that USA would school every one. I never crowed about how bad or good the UK riders might do.

here are the results

1. Ricky Carmichael...USA
2. Stefan Everts...BEL
3. Joel Smets...BEL
4. Gordon Crockard...IRL
5. Josh Coppins...NZL
6. Jussi Vehvilainen...FIN
7. Paul Cooper...GBR
8. Akira Narita...JPN
9. Tim Ferry...USA
10. Antti Pyrhonen..FIN
32. Ryan Hughes... USA

see that guy at number 7 nephron?????

now, lets move on to Bubba since i seem to have hit a nerve there also. Young Tanel Leok is not as good a rider as Bubba. but, he has the heart- he turned up and beat him in a race, just like he has the heart to get on a big bike and go at it with the 250 class. When all the US fans were so confident that the US would school everyone even with a B team you were all into the race. now your top team doesnt want to go and you are not interested. if RC, KW and Bubba were going you all would be singing a much different tune right now, all we would be hearing is that how they are so superior....but now they dont want to represent you the race is no longer important....i dont expect anything less from part time fans, just like i dont expect annything less than full time pro practise riders that are so quick to put people down if they might get lapped! ;)

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
This is fun.

Marcus, you and I both know Dobb was a mouthy loser until 2001, when he finally decided to step it up and show what he was made of. After that, he promptly fell apart. This could have been due to bike (250sx), but after going to the 450, he didn't fare better. I don't think I'd call him stellar.

And Bruce, you seem to have come to MY country, moved into So-Cal, and after a few years, feel you have the right to bash the midwest, like every other ass out there. LOL, if you're not PC in Kali, your ass is grass. No bad talk about discrimination of any kind, yet it's perfectly normal and common to make fun of the midwest, while never having had been there. I'm guessing you haven't either.

Listen. I'd rather be a nose pickin' corn-farmin' lame ass old-bike-ridin' practice rider, than frequent the Gaymart in Hillcrest to get somethin' for 'after the race' at REM.

And just like you Euro guys like to feign 'ribbing' behind insult, I say "No offense intended. Clearly."

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I say "boo" to all those pros who won't go. Dowdy will. Hell, if VD's going, I'll go too. I'll ride the Mighty Vic.

And if we cant' get Dowdy to go, hell, I'll even represent alongside sewer rat. If nothing else, he can be me and VD's designated driver after we hit the bars.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Neph a bit off to say all euros do stuff because brucie baby does :nener: thats like saying your a corn picking .... opps did someone say that already :think:

I can tell you bruce isnt malicous he just likes to play with people on the net.Im sure you would both get one real well and plod around real slow together on any track :aj:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
nephron said:
yet it's perfectly normal and common to make fun of the midwest, while never having had been there.

Nephron, its funny you mention that since you seem to know everything about everyone, especially people you have never met.

and just for your information, i lived in kansas for nearly half a year in 1996! ;) it was that really cold spring if you remember.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
C'mon, let's be logical. US Supercross and US motocross is where the big money is in this sport. If all those top 3 riders from all those other countries were better than the US riders why aren't over here making the big money..
My answer is, the best riders from across the pond are over here trying to cash in, that is why there are so many no US riders in the line up. So why should RC and Bubba go over there to beat them, when they can beat them right here.

Top Bottom