Rear wheel bearings and hub spacer?

YZThumper

~SPONSOR~
Aug 6, 2001
The rear wheel bearings in my 1991 KTM 500 MX (2-Stroke) needed to be replaced when I found I could not spin them freely with my fingers. This bike does not have dust seals over the bearings, just the bearing, inner hub spacer and 2 wheel bearing spacers. When I pulled the old bearings out, I found the inner hub spacer was cracked in 2 different places, so I bought a new inner hub spacer, bearings and wheel bearing spacers. The wheel bearing spacers on this bike are odd in that you have to really force them into the inner race of the bearing and they will not come out unless you drive them out from the opposite side. I installed one bearing and the corresponding wheel bearing spacer. The wheel bearing spacer is made to fit inside the inner hub spacer by just a few millimeters. So, when I installed the new inner hub spacer I positioned it over the first wheel bearing spacer. I then installed the opposite side bearing and corresponding wheel bearing spacer. It seems like the inner hub spacer is a few millimeters too long because when I drive one bearing flush to the outer hub, the opposite side bearing protrudes from the hub by a millimeter or two. Is this supposed to fit in this manner or have I installed something incorrectly?

Top Bottom