1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Hey guys a few months ago I pulled my stator cover of my 2001 Suzuki RM 250 and it was pretty wet and dirty inside.
I cleaned it up nice, but I don't have a tool to pull the flywheel. Can I rent a flywheel puller or some sort of tool
from an auto parts store to remove it? I have the Suzuki service manuel, but it is pretty vague. The bike is getting
barely any spark, and I'm wondering if that was causing bogging and spooging problem... Makes sense, but what should most likely be replaced in there or hopefully just cleaned? I sprayed it down good with wd 40 when I cleaned it both times, hopefully that didn't hurt anything. Thanks guys, I'm trying to learn!

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
I was wondering what all actually needs to be replaced usually if water gets in there?
Those gaskets don't seem to be that watertight, when im riding through some flooded trails in FL the water comes up to the airbox almost sometimes. I've heard some shops can actually rewind your stators and even make them stronger to add a LED headlight? I seen a tiny "weep hole" in the bottom right hand corner of the case inside the flywheel area and was freaking out, but it appears to be there in the manuel as well. Anyone know what thats for?

Last edited:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Dry it out and see how bad its corroding? A little water is not likely going to cause damage. Them covers get squished over time, a burr where the bolt goes through the cover? The seal is not reusable. Condensation can form in there, and that is what the vent/drain in the cover is for. Over zealous misuse of sealer can seal it shut. Vintage Bob

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Well I think i just stuck my screwdriver into the copper wound part of the stator either way through the holes in the flywheel, I'm an idiot. The only stator I've seen for my bike was a Moose lighting coil o on ebay for $160, is that a fair price? I can't seem to really find much of anything on these stators actually... I'm on a budget, but it would be nice to get a lighting stator. What are some decent brands that aren't outrageous?

Last edited:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Price? Shop around, I dare you to see what an oem unit costs! Did you damage the pick up? Stock it has 1 stator coil, the lighting kit runs 2 stator coils? More money. I do not recall seeing cheap Chinese stators, buyer beware. Google it, and see what people say? Vintage Bob

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Well i was sticking a screwdriver into the two holes where the flywheel puller goes and just happened to press it in really far against the actually copper wire thats wound and broke some of the wrapped wires from what I can see. I think I had an ignition issue the whole time which is possibly why my bike has been bogging through the low rpms. I'm going to try to keep an eye out for a stator, and maybe the guy at the local shop will let me rent or use his puller for a few $$$. Seems like a pretty straight forward job I could handle.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Oh no joke huh, I havent even looked because I figured like $100+... How does that thing work, dont ya need some tool stop the flywheel from turning to remove the nut also?
The list of wants/needs keeps on growing! At least the CDI box isn't
too expensive from what I've seen, and now is a good chance for me to
get that lighting coil I've wanted. What kind of setups are people running?
I heard the 98' will fit the 01', wonder if an RMX stator would work? That would be great but I doubt it. Anyone know whats up with this stator, and it just bolts right on? http://www.rickystator.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_39&products_id=247

Last edited:

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Electrolux is a company who winds stators for lighting capacity. I had a bad experience, two overheated stators from them left me stranded in the woods. They would steal a couple poles from the ignition and wind them for lighting output (overheating the overworked ignition windings in the process).

Although this was was at least ten years ago... I've heard they've improved...?

I believe your moisture issue is mainly condensation, leave the weep hole open.

Since a flywheel puller often fits many bikes and they're not a big investment, it's nice to have one in the toolbox.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I happen to have a used stator off of my '01 RM250. I was chasing an ignition problem that turned out to be a broken wire so it's a good stator. Email me your address and it's yours, you just have to invest in a puller :)

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Good stuff! :cool: Once again a DRN member goes the extra mile. Pay it forward..........

Top Bottom