cyrk500

Sep 11, 2006
Theres a small crack on the right sidecase of my 2000 yz250 right in between the water pump cover and the side cover, oil leaks out really really slow. I put a patch of J.B. Weld on it with hope that it would work, but after it sat for about 24hr. I took it for a short ride to test it and when I looked at the patch it was still there but there was oil coming out from behind it, around the edges. I didn't rough up the surface and that would have helped alot and possibly stopped the leak. Would a small weld hold, or do i have to buy a new one? :| Thanks.

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
clean the area, with kerosene or gas, to remove all the oil, then dry, wash with soap and water, then re-apply the jb weld.

you want the area to be perfectly clean, or it wont stick.

if you really want to solve the problem, split your cases, and re-weld the crack.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
If you know someone with a bead blaster thats about the best way to prepare the surface for jb weld. It cleans it very well and also leaves a surface that it will stick to without problems.

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
or rough it up a bit with emery cloth. and you'd have to split the cases in order to sandblast it, and if your going to split the cases, you might as well re-weld the crack.

cyrk500

Sep 11, 2006
Thanks alot, thats a big help, unfortunately i don't know anyone with a bead blaster but i will keep that in mind for future reference, I'll try to clean like the way you said and i really hope it works. Thanks alot.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Pull the cover, use a grinder to groove out/bevel teh crack a little bit, rough everything up and clean extremely well with solvent. Then, apply the JB weld. Use a file to clean up the mating surface between the side cover and crankcase. This will make a permanent repair.

Top Bottom