D3luxe

Aug 11, 2007
After having parts of a dirt bike scrambled all over, the bike is finally being put back together.

When my bike first broke, I had taken it up to my local dealer. They diagnosed it and said there was $1300 worth of damage, with an extra $400 labor if I wanted them to fix it. :yikes: . That was more than I payed for the bike itself! They wanted me to replace the cylinder, crankshaft, a few other smaller things, and the gaskets/seals.

So I brought the engine back home and tore into it myself, checking all of the parts they said had to be fixed. One of the major one had absolutely no wear and tear to it. That happened to be the cylinder, which costs $600. So, between labor and that cylinder, I am already down to only $700. On my way!

So, I decide to leave it be for a the winter. Seeing as I couldn't ride it anyway, and I was spending the money I had on the snowboarding season, I just planned on getting it ridable by the spring again.

After doing some research and talking to a bunch of people (some of them from this very place! =)), here is my result.

$100 for a hot rid kit, + $50 to have the crank pressed and aligned.
$60 for a new piston kit
$50 for new crankshaft bearings
$80 for new oil seals + gaskets

So that came out to a grand total of $340. Quite a drop from $1700, for the same (if not better) result. They wanted $550 for a new crank (OEM), and $600 for the cylinder. Whew!

Our mechanic friend currently has all of my parts + engine, as he has the required tools for splitting the case, torque wrench, etc. Talked to him last wednesday (after him having it for a week) and he said he was about half way done. Hopefully I will get it back this week, and have it ridable by this weekend. Perfect timing for this weather in Michigan, its actually quite decent out (minus the insane mud now from all of this rain/snow melting.)

So, after 6 months of a broken bike, its finally coming back together. Later this month I am going up north for a week of riding, too. Bout time! :ride:

D3luxe

Aug 11, 2007
Heres a couple before shots of the bike, from last fall. Sorry for the bad quality, took em from my phone.

bike-2.jpg

bike-1.jpg

And heres a shot showing me/the bike/my backyard

0819071350.jpg

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Get a bigger yard ;)..... or a smaller bike :)

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
Patman said:
Get a bigger yard ;)..... or a smaller bike :)
Hey-just shut up! The grass is way greener from my vantagepoint...

...Michigan? I'm only one state over and I turn down my street each night to the same depressing car roof high snow banks, cars half in the middle of the street because of the snow laying everywhere....and 2" of ice up the alley...My bikes are frozen & snowed inside a garageport... I can't even go down to Waterman's til the thaw comes....

So much for those winter lessons to get ready for summer....I'd take that backyard any day.

Good job on the bike, btw. That's showin' 'em! :cool:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Heck my gradd is greenish brown but there's not a speck of snow and it's mid 70's so nanny-nanny boo-boo to you!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom