ScottKDX

Aug 12, 1999
do i adjust by changing the setting on the shock? AND, since i'm 200lbs. without gear, can i adjust the stock spring package to compensate for the higher weight? i'm unclear if there's enough adjustability in the stock package to compensate for the added weight.

thanks

John 300 EXC

~SPONSOR~
Feb 28, 2000
Your shock and fork manuals will provide basics of suspension set-up.
I will guess your 300 came with a PDS-2. I am also at 200#s and used a PDS-4, altho. you may be happy with a PDS-3.
Your spring should be stamped with a 2-250 if It's a PDS-2.
Playing with the shock preload is one of the easiest things to experiment with on your bike. If your shock threads are clean, you can usually place the bike on a stand to fully unload the spring; loosen the lock collar and spin the spring and lock collar by hand. If not, the shock can be easily removed and adjusted.
Find a section of trail or track and dial out most of the preload and ride. Crank back in a great deal of preload and ride the same loop again. By going from one extreme to the other you will quickly see the difference, just don't try 100' triples. While you are out there, slide your fork tubes up and down in the triple clamps. Your shock preload setting will change the steering of the bike, as will the fork tube position. In my experience, too much shock preload with a light spring on the PDS system will make the rear end of the bike a kicker; the rear end kicks over logs and bumps and when braking over bumps, and makes the front end nose down over jumps. The PDS needs plenty of static sag. The shock can't properly dampen the spring recoil at full extension, if there is too much preload.
All of the above experimenting is free, just cost a little fuel and your time. Plus you will begin to understand your bike. Carefully record your current setting if you are afraid of messing things up.
(Or you can send your fork and shock off, buy some aftermarket triple clamps and after spending $800.00, tell yourself how much better the bike handles and steers. Plus you usually get stickers to put on you bike so everyone knows it's highly tuned by out of town experts.)
Good Luck
John

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
John & agitt I do think what you (John) just posted is correct on a 200. The older 200's came stock with a PDS 1. The new equivalent would by the PDS-5. The bigger bikes come with a PDS-6, and the RFS -SX come with a PDS-7.

ScottKDX

Aug 12, 1999
the link was helpful...thanks. NOW i've got another question...my measurement on the center stand is 26 inches...and with me on it 21 inches. the instructions call for a sag of 1/3 of the intial height. if i understand that correctly, i should have measured around 18 inches with my weight on it? because i'm mechanically challenged, does this mean i need loosen up my shock setting? that just doesn't sound right, even the smallest jump seems to really thump me on the landing...i had adjusted it 4 clicks up on both adjustments recently to try and compensate...now it seems i went too far?

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
you should messure at 22 inches with you on the bike
you mean 1/3 of the shock travel
:aj:

Top Bottom