Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
Ok, who is pulling this together this year and where will it be? Wherever we end up, please make sure that there are trails to ride since I am now a retired MX rider :ohmy:

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I haven't planned anything yet. If I plan it it will be at TNT again b/c that is easier for me to plan.

If someone else wants to put together a ride at Durhamtown, Bremen, Monster Mountain, Mill Creek, Diamondback or Copperhead feel free.

Ivan

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
The only concern I have is that it be late enough in the year so that I can ride. I will go wherever starting May 1, especially if I can catch a ride with somebody (what a mooch!!!).

I might be allowed to ride slow circles on flat ground in April.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Does Bremen have anything that looks like a trail?

Lemming

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
What about Paradise Park? A few years ago, I contacted them (Capital City Cycles????) and they were receptive as long as the dates did not conflict with other activities.

I have to say that with my current work load, there is no way that I can organize it this year, but I certainly want to see one happen.

Ivan - last year the trails at TNT were unrideable, how are they this year?

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
The trails at TNT are ok for the most part this year. They have done a lot of work but as soon as they get one section fixed another needs work. It is not the best I've seen but it is better than last year.

Ivan

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Aren't the trails usually closed except on days for HS?

If you are willing to set it up and there are trails I think everyone would be willing to show up and offer you a beer or twelve :)

If you are not familiar with our SF, we usually make a weekend out of it. It is a non-event (no shirts, trophies or anything). It is basically a group ride that spans 2 days where we get to tell lies about how fast we are and how good Lemming is in the privacy of a trailer :eek:

Ivan

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Ivan- I left a message on their machine for Larry about the trails and described what we are looking to do. Although I did not mention the Lemming thing... Not sure I wanna know. :D

Be glad to set it up if the interest is there. Beer not even required. :) Although that would not be a bad thing...

The facility really is nice. We may even be able to get Wes from Goatcreations there to do some filming of the spodishness. :)

Here is a copy/paste from web site:

Aonia Pass (Georgia Motorplex,LLC) is located on 3030 Thomson,Rd. in Washington Georgia

AONIA OFFERS HOT SHOWERS,CLEAN RESTROOMS,PLENTY OF PARKING,CAM-
PING,CONCESSIONS AND MORE.
(Mx & Pee-Wee track open 7 days a week for practice)
$15.00 -per-rider on mx track--Open for practice at 10am
(NOTE>>on event week and weekend..closed for practice)
Call us at 1-706-678-3737 or email aoniapass@hotmail.com for more info.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I've ridden Aonia's track before it was re-done and I've raced a HS there.

It is a GREAT facility to hold a SF if we can have use of the trails too.

I thank you for taking the initiative and seeing if this can happen there.

Thanks
Ivan

ConqSoft

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
truespode said:
I haven't planned anything yet. If I plan it it will be at TNT again b/c that is easier for me to plan.

If someone else wants to put together a ride at Durhamtown, Bremen, Monster Mountain, Mill Creek, Diamondback or Copperhead feel free.

Ivan

[threadjack]
Just noticed you were in Spartanburg. I was born there and lived there 'til I was 15. :thumb:
[/threadjack]

Last edited:

ob1quixote

Jul 23, 2003
There will be a charity ride benefitting Dream House for Medically Fragile Children at Aonia Pass on April 25th. The trails and track will be available.

Y'all can check the place out and see if it would do for a Spodefest, and take part in the first offroad event for the charity.

Now for 2 questions; what is a "spode"? and How do you get to be a southern one?

Robert

ob1quixote

Jul 23, 2003
truespode said:
Check out www.truespode.net for some definitions of a spode :)

You get to be a Southin one by either A) Being in the south or B) yell "hey ya'll watch this" and immediately have it followed by a horrifically emberassing crash :)

Ivan
Dang, Ive been a southern spode for years and didnt know it....in fact, now I understand that some of those things said behind my back were compliments in the form of an acronym!!

"That Robert, he's 'A Southern Spode' " :laugh:

Now Im off to see these definitions!

Robert

sammygor

Mar 14, 2003
My boys still talk about last years SF. The sand at Manchester and the track at TNT. It was a fun roadtrip. We just need to get mother nature to be nice to us where ever it's at. Also my old XR was never the same after it spent the night at TNT. Just be carefull who you get to watch your bike for you. I had to put her out to pasture and get a new WR.

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Just left a THIRD msg for Larry at Aonia. Dude must not like to return phone msgs... I know he is there, he updates the answering machine msg every day. GRRRRRRR

Lemming

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
What about Durhamtown? I hear the place is great with both motocross and woods riding available.

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
we ride dp alot. not very challenging, but nicely groomed track and well maintained trails. although mebbe non-challenging is a good thing. :D

pm'd Larry. And just called again and it was busy. Will try again. But glad to talk to Mike at dp and set it up if consensus is to go that way. :)

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
If Aonia doesn't work out I think trying DP is a good option.

Thanks for the leg work Joe. Tim and I have both set these things up and even though it is a small get together it can be time consuming.

Thanks again,

Ivan

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Be glad to do it. I leaned toward Aonia since it is a little closer for the SC crowd. Sure would like to get Mike N and his boys out so I can meet them... I know it must be really hard for them right now, and some riding might be nice for them... Isn't Whyzee from Columbia too?

Is Turkey Creek worthwhile? I read they have mx and trails. The website is not very informative though... Do they allow camping? DP does, have small cabins too. Cheaper to camp.

DP gets pretty crowded some weekends. Aonia does too but they have a lot more parking, and no need to cross a public road to get to track, which is an issue for my little guy who can barely hold up his KTM 65 but rides it just fine.

Has the event been pretty family oriented in years past? Sure would like to encourage that... Is it usually a small group? Is there any interest in expanding it to include more folks, or is it better to keep it DRN folks? Let me know, I have some non-DRN riding buds who would like to participate, but I don't want to breach protocol, etc... Just let me know, my feelings won't be hurt. :)

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Whyzee is from Raleigh but we make him drive all over hell and back :)

Turkey Creek is ok but I have not seen their trails. Last I heard they have been closed for quite a few years. It may be an option if they actually have trails but I doubt they do.

The event is VERY family oriented. It is all about getting friends and family together to ride. We also love to have whoever wants to ride there whether they are from DRN, GOR, Thumpertalk, RMD or wherever.

The protocol is to have fun with fellow riding buds. That is it. If you have your sister's, mother's cousin twelve times removed and he/she wants to ride they are welcome :) We even let Lemmings, Pleazers and things we call James :eek:

Ivan

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Sounds good. :) Will try Aonia a little longer, then fall back to dp if necessary...

ps- got on the tnt site, looks like a nice facility- I can see why that was chosen before. and it looks like camping is free there, which is not the case with dp, although dp does have nice amenities... I think Aonia has free camping, will find out if I ever talk to Larry.. :( Will keep trying. :)

Top Bottom