Aug 29, 2006
I just got a used 03 CR 125. I am new to the whole 2-stroke thing. I'm used to my 400ex. At any rate when I take off in 1st some times the engine sounds doggy and won't accelerate but it also doesn't die. After it gets goin it runs like a top. No problem in other gears.
If I give it alot of gas and take off in 1st it runs fine.
So any suggestions ? The clutch? Carb?? Me??

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Could be the carb, but based on your brief description, it sounds like its you - if you're used to a 4 stroke ATV, a 2 stroke 125 is going to seem like it has ZERO power off the bottom. They tend to feel "boggy" on the bottom compared to a 4 stroke because there just isn't any power or torque until you get into the upper middle part of the power spread.

When you start in a race on a 125, you clutch it, 1/2 to 2/3 throttle and slip the clutch. That's the only way you're going to get off the line quick.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Don't use first. ;) Other than that, rev it up a bit more, and slip the clutch a bit. You would have to do this for second gear starts as well. Personally, the only time I ever use 1st is when I'm riding through the pits. Same goes for my son. I ride a 250, my boy is on a 65.

Aug 29, 2006
Do you have to burn out to take off?? I talkin it doesn't accelerate at all. It just makes a boggy noise and won't hardly move. After I pull in the clutch and rev it up then release the clutch it accelerates fine.
The whole 2-stroke 4 stroke thing I understand. I can tell if its in powerband or not. I'm not takeing off in powerband.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
when in neutral and you snap the throttle open , does it bog at all??

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
clutches are not high dollar , but thats not it. its either jetting, clogged carb or your riding style til you get used to a small 2 stroke. try riding a buddies 125. i know when i get off my 250 2 stroke and take a spin on a buddies 125 i cant understand how he can ride it, it feels sickly.......he believes its sick :boss: :coocoo:

Aug 29, 2006
Yea well the only friend I have that rides dirt bikes (all my other freinds are atving) has a yz 250 so well I can't really tell. I rode his bike tonight after riding mine to compair and its sweet but like I said I'm was all atv till I rode his bike then I had to go buy me a 125.
I work at a small engine repair shop (lawnmowers, weedeaters, chain saws, etc.) and I don't really think its the carb b/c in neutral the engine cracks fine. I don't know much about dirt bikes or if this is a problem or operator error.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
theres no load on it in neutral

:think: heres a thought, try riding it with the choke on. see what happens with the added fuel, let us know

Aug 29, 2006
got a cr 125 it boggs like i'm in third gear when i start off once i get going it's fine what could it be?
I found that a a different site but no one answered. Its exactly what mine does.

crack rock

Feb 28, 2006
based on your description i think you just have to let the clutch out a little slower and maybe rev it a little higher a 400ex and a cr125 are complete opposites when it comes to their power delivery my friend has a 400ex and if im real smooth with the clutch i can get it to take off without any throttle my cr125 has to be revved up a little to take off smoothly you have to realize that a cr125 engine has very little rotating mass and therefore very little momentum and it also doesnt make very much torque at low revs when you let out the clutch at a low rpm the engine can slow down very quickly

aveisone

Sep 7, 2006
yeh i just got my 125 and experienced the same problem. i fixed it by making sure i was in first (despite previous advice) and keepin my revs up. im pretty sure the bike i got has a racing clutch and it was very touchy, so i stalled it out a few times gettin used to it instead of ending up on my back staring at the sky... good luck

elliot-cr133

Uhhh...
Jul 4, 2006
when i first started it seemed like it happened to me. all i do is when its in first or second, have the clutch in..and rev it about 1/4'th throttle, and slowly let it out. when you start to feel the bike moving, rev it up to about half throttle, and let it out fast.

shawntmartin

Sep 26, 2006
1988 CR 125 does the EXACT same thing... I think its operator error because there are times when I take off that the back wheel is tearing up the dirt. I'll just have to get used to the take offs. I swear that my 1982 RM80 would take off like a bat of hell... maybe it was just my age back then... I'd like to have my bike tested to see if it really is me.. or is it really the CR.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
FruDaddy said:
Don't use first. ;) Other than that, rev it up a bit more, and slip the clutch a bit. You would have to do this for second gear starts as well. Personally, the only time I ever use 1st is when I'm riding through the pits. Same goes for my son. I ride a 250, my boy is on a 65.

I practiced starts the other day and it works much better for me to start in first gear! Any other 125s who start in first? I just can't get the right spot with the clutch in second.

XeroRa

Feb 4, 2006
With 125's you have to rev it up like the other suggested and then let the clutch out. It might take some getting use to, but it works :)

Anssi

May 20, 2001
trial_07 said:
Any other 125s who start in first?

I know that a lot of people start in 1st on 125s, especially if the traction is good. You will have to shift up the millisecond your rear wheel clears the gate, though.

I started in first gear on my YZ450F :) (it was an -03 with only four gears and first was really long)

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Thanks!

Top Bottom