4pack

Jan 25, 2009
New to this and was wondering where someone can get their child started in supercross lessons. The whole deal Beginner level. He is six but can ride. Live in the Houston area. Any info, web site, or organization would be great.

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
Buy some dvd's. You watch them and go to the track with him and give him the tips from the video. Ive never actually heard of a supercross training school but Im sure there are some somewhere.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Chili said:
Keep it fun and stick to outdoor Motocross, Supercross is for Pro's and should stay that way in my opinion.
That is excellent advice. At 6 yrs old no way he should be on a SX track and if he shows talent in the outdoor local MX he can start training for SX when HE not dad wants him to. Don't push him to be the next RC or Bubba or you just may end up with a non rider

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
oldguy said:
Don't push him to be the next RC or Bubba or you just may end up with a badly broken non rider

A CRF50 in the back yard is a good place to start, followed by the kiddie track and then the "big" track. About the time he starts spanking the A/Pro class locally, he might be ready for SX.

So, basically:
12 or so years of riding daily and a WHOLE lot of your income and time.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Everybody's kid is the next SX star, or at least that's what we hope. The reality is very few ever get there and the way they do is by the rider wanting to do it and the parents dedicating their life and massive dollars to following the junior outdoor circuit. Home schooling, a big RV and trailer with bikes parts and possibly a mechanic if one of the parents isn't able to cover those things.

So since he's just 6 I doubt he's totally convinced himself and you that this is his chosen path. That being the case ride for fun until he wants to try a local MX race then see how it goes from there.

4pack

Jan 25, 2009
Thanks for the advice and I quess I did come across the wrong way. I'm new to this and this past christmas we bought him a little 50cc dirt bike. He has a 110cc four wheeler that he rides the heck out of (my little dare devil) but then wanted the dirt bike and he can't get enough. Supercross, Motocross is all new to us and I just want him to be taught the right way to handle a bike rather than him thinking he knows how to ride because Daddy showed him how to ride in circles in the back yard. There is a track not to far from us that we could check out and see if they allow anyone to come and ride for his age. Thanks again to all of you that replied and keep it coming more knowledge about all this helps me help him!

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Glad you tookthe advice in the way it was meant. There is no easier way to kill the desire to ride/race than for a parent to push too hard and too fast for the kid. Get real instruction for him and hopefully we will read about him in the future. If not it is still a great sport for family involvement.

4pack

Jan 25, 2009
Also what gear is recommended? We did buy him a helmet and I would like to buy him the chest guard at a minimum but does the boots and accessories really needed and would most or all tracks allow him to ride (practice) without the whole set up? So I guess what would be the minimum to buy for his safety? I know it can get expensive. I've been looking on ebay and craigslist for better deals or hand-me-downs.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Good sturdy boots of some kind not necessarily MX boots would be a great idea along with nice heavy jeans and a sweatshirt. Throw some goggles on the helmet and gloves on his hands and you should be good until he starts getting serious.

One of the biggest pieces of advice regarding practice is DO NOT under any conditions allow him to ride a track with adults, ATV's or much faster older kids on it. Too many stories of little ones getting injured badly or even much worse when they were landed on or crashed and walked over the top of a jump to look for dad or mom and got run it to at speed. Maybe when he's on a 85cc machine it might be OK but I wouldn't let it happen otherwise. Don't kid yourself, your spouse, or kid, riding has some serious danger to it especially when you have no control or knowledge of the other riders on an open practice.

Knowing where you are located might help turn up some DRN'ers that could help you locally.

4pack

Jan 25, 2009
Located in Deer Park, TX (Houston Area). What does "DNR" stand for? But thanks, the pants, boots, gloves, and goggles are duable.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
'DRN' stands for Dirtrider.net In Wis DNR stands for Deot of natural resources or the game wardens :)

Check some of the on line sites like bobs cycle supply
http://www.bobscycle.com/
or
moto sports outlet
http://www.motosport.com/

for some great prices especially if you shop the closeouts on gear for him

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
East side of Houston eh? There are a few good tracks and clubs in the area. I'd suggest talking to the guys at the local shop to get a feel from them about which club or track might best suit your needs. Don't feel obligated to go to the brand you own either, KTM shops are generally MUCH more dirt biker friendly IMHO.

Also give consideration to off road asa Hare Scramble type racing as a really good start. Minimal jumps and VERY much family type atmosphere (sometimes MX tracks are a bit younger age dominated, again IMO). Just whatever you do let his desire drive it.

4pack

Jan 25, 2009
Money Saver

Just doing a little research for accessories and if anyone out there is interested you can check out (scottusa,com), If you find things you like you can enter this code "SXP2009" and get 40% off your purchase. Brochure says this promotion expires on 5/15/2009. Hope this doesn't violate any laws by posting this but if your intersted check it out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom