fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Yikes! This was not the stuck throttle on a KTM episode that I heard about is it?

Something was said about a dance with a tree named Bubba?

Whats the prognosis for the recovery, Bruce? Your wife is going to be understanding, right? Or do we need to look for a new home for a vicious KTM? Better let me test ride it to make sure its ok. :eek:

give me a call when you get a chance

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
Jeff told me about it Sunday evening. I can't imagine just starting to ride again after a broken toe, and then breaking my leg. :( Hope you get well soon!

Jeremy

Tahuya Rat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 11, 2002
Thanks for the thoughts, guys. I was just skipping along the whoops of 4X trail adjacent to Spillman on my way to Sims, one of my usual "warm up laps" that I've done a couple hundred times, throttle stuck pinned in 3rd, why I have no idea, stuck it pretty hard through a bunch of small trees. Jeff's coming over Friday to help me dig through it to find out what happened.
Broke one side of the left tibia right at the knee joint and crushed the rounded part a bit, doc says 8-12 weeks crutches till that heals and then maybe he might "make" me a new ligament, will know after a MRI that he'll do in a month. Other than that, just a bit o' color everywhere the chest protector didn't cover, but nowhere as bad looking as those trees!
On the bright side, toe & wrist are feeling just dandy....sigh.
Bike's ok, couple pieces of plastic and it'll be good to go.

MACE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 13, 1999
Sorry to hear that TRat. Let it heal well and do your rehab and we'll see you back on the trail when you're ready.

pat567

Oct 26, 2002
dam dirt bikes,always try'n hurt ya.take it easy and heel,its still way early in the year.sounds like you still have humor it'll help with the rehab

little jeff

Aug 20, 2002
It was one hell of an accident. I was right behind him when it happened. At first I thought he was gunning it, but then when I saw him go for the trees, I knew he wasn't doing it on purpose. Talk about a roost coming off that back tire, must've been about 5-6ft. high. Then there was the "TREE", Yikes!! I will be going over to Bruce's place tommorow to take his forks off to make sure they are not all twisted up, sure looked like they were. Do some investigating into why his throttle stuck wide open. I'm not a mechanic or anything, I'm just doing it becuase he's my friend, so any thoughts on might would've caused the stuck throttle, I'm all ears.
Little Jeff

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Check the main jet to see if maybe it shook loose and unscrewed itself. If juggled around in there the right way, it would prevent the needle from seating properly when the throttle was let off. Also check to see if there is any fraying of the cable (twist the throttle to see if it's hanging up anywhere --- may help to take the top of the carb off and look at the cable at that point too). Be sure to let us know what you found!

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
Reach down, swing the petcock to off and then ride it out while waiting for the fuel to burn.

I could see how when you're hard on the gas it would take a second for the stuck throttle to register and at WOT you ussually let off just in time to hit the brakes.

Have a quick recovery.

little jeff

Aug 20, 2002
I think I found out what went wrong with T-Rat's bike. It happened to me, luckily I was still in the parking lot just warming up my bike. Where the throttle cable goes into the carb. the end of the cable has a steel cap on it, on the top of the carb, there is a brass fitting that the cable slides into. Well anyway, when he opened up the throttle, the cable came out of the brass fitting and got stuck on the edge of it, hence stuck throttle. It wasn't WOT, but it was close enough to take you for a good ride. My bike was revving really high, then we played with the cable and got it to go back into the fitting and used electrical tape, wound tightly around the cable and brass fitting, then put the rubber boot back over it. Worked great. I guess from what I was told, this has been a problem with KTM's. Check your cable guys.
Little Jeff

Top Bottom