slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
was thinking about changing the gearing on my CR250. Stock is 13/49 and was considering a 50 or 51 tooth rear sprocket. I ride recreational mx and woods and have a very small track at my house. The stock gearing seems too high for my spodely style on the mini track but I just bought a new 520 chain and sprocket combo. The rear wheel is almost all the way back and I always run with the max amount of slack. Can I get larger sprocket w/o buying a new chain?

PS - was going to put this in the basic Q&A but thought Jaybird might see it faster in here.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
probably not.

B

biglou

Mo-I went from a 49 to 51 on the YZF with the stock length chain. The only issues that I noticed were that the rear tire was closer to the mudflap and when rolled backwards, the flap would flip out and have to be "retucked". No huge deal, and it has since stopped doing that. (shrug) The sprocket does also sit a little deeper into the back side of the chain guide. You have to make sure the chain is taught and lined up or it will kink and jamb at the back side of the chain guide (when installing the rear wheel).

Last edited by a moderator:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I swap between a 48 & a 50 on my Montesa all the time with no problem.

B

biglou

Mo-I just made a couple clarification edits to my first post if you want to reread it. It seemed a bit incomplete after thinking about it for a while.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
If you are running in the back of the adjustment, then you will probably be able to go to 50t no problem. It will shorten things up a bit though, which for what you've described is a good thing.
Have you measured your chain to be sure it hasn't grown past 3% ?
(10 chain reels should measure no more than 6-7/16"...new chain measures 6-1/4")

btw...taller gearing is going the other way. :)

Last edited:

Top Bottom