WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
The Spirit of the Family Enduros

I have been riding these enduros for the past 4 years and have had a blast riding them except this last one. The first one I ever did was the Pine Cone in 2004 I was on an XR200 that was way too small for me. I was extremely nervous but I did it and once I was out on the trail I had so much fun I was hooked.

That day I loved watching the little kids and there dads. Fathers would put their foot under the rear fender to lift the back end up to help the little kid get his rear tire over a log. The little kid was just twisting the throttle as far he/she could to polish the log smooth. It did not matter that I took time to wait for them. Other teenagers would pass me flying as fast as they could. They must have thought it was a race where the finish line held their treasure in life. That first race I crashed so much I was covered with blue skin from head to toe. For some reason that did not matter, I was able to finish the race and spend time with Bruno along the way.

The next year I bought a bigger bike and started my daughter on my old bike. That year Megan, Bruno and I rode the Spring Pine Cone and Pine Cone. We had fun as a family. That would be time for us to stop along the trail and chat with each other. We could see each other and help if needed. The comradery along side the trail made the enduros what they are suppose to be FUN as well as a family event. TJ even joined us that year to run gas and cheer us on. The following year TJ started riding with us again. On the 12 mile hour section we would have family time along side the trail, but on the 18 mph loop it was every one for themselves. Since 2006 my family has run every FES event there was and always had as much fun as possible. I even had fun but was in pain at the Pine Cone in 2007 when I was laying on the side of the trail waiting to be carried out.

We invited several people to join us at events. At this last race we had 12 people in our group. Not once along the trail was there any chance to communicate with any of them. I never saw them once, after the first restart. It was not fun for me. Generally at the resets I see Megan who likes to ride a few minutes in front of me. I like to ask her how things are going but was not able to at this last race.

I think the Spirit of the Family Enduros is the Family/Friend time along side the trail.

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Lu Ann, you have a valid point and one of the "wrongs" is in the use of the word "race", when referring to enduros. By definition, an enduro is not a race. If this starts a peaceful discussion, fine by me.

Young Ted

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I think the comments would be best directed to the club, I expect that they will benifit from supportive but helpful feedback. As far as the FES series it is a compilation of club events which are all varying in distance, level of difficulty and level of organization-sometimes a club makes a few decisions that they wish they would not have or failed to take into account all the factors that could happen. I wouldn't let one event discourage any one from riding any in the future.

whitebear

Sep 17, 2007
I would like to say that we missed last years BB, with that said, I knew that it would be more challanging than the others due to the private property. I tried to tell my 8 year old son this and that he should practice more because of this and the increased speed. Watching him while following him I knew that he was riding in some situatiins that were probably out of his comfort zone, yet he continued on. As I said in a previous post...the course will seperate the riders, and it did. Going down to Indiana in two weeks should be so much easier yet the small mistake could cost you. My son stated that the BB was the hardest race so far in two years, yet he was so proud of what he did, as am I. I did talk to the club and thank them for the event after, and they stated that they made every effort to remove all logs and branches from the course, the roots etc exposed by the bikes was a different story. They also said that the section we rode through was the same loop used in one section of national and Lafferty lost 9 minutes with a speed of 30 mph spped for them...amazing! We had a great time!

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
I want to keep this thread as to what is the SPIRIT OF THE FAMILY ENDUROS. I never realized how much I enjoyed the comradery along side the trail with family and friends before this last event.

Fred, I do not want to complain about any event on a public thread. All I said is I did not have fun.

Thanks INCA for reminding everyone to keep it positive.

Please share what you find is the Spirit of the Family Enduro while riding these events.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Lou Ann
My only point is to contact the club and give them your feed back in a constructive way so they under stand what the "customer" wants -they are still new at this and learning. I think they have little choice as to the difficulty of the trail or conditions and of course the weather because they only have the land that they have to use and that makes the trail what it is, but they do control the length of time they allow for riders to get back on time and get a rest. I think that in reading your feedback that if you would have had longer times between sections to take a break and talk with friends and family then every thing else would have been OK, so if I am right then tell them that. I alos think that if you had a longer break between loops that would have made it better too, would that be a correct assumption?

I wasn't sure that they would get your feedback if only posted here on DRN, thats all.

And FWIW I agree with you that this is all about family and fun and not a torture test, there is a lot of different levels of riders, in all sizes and skill levels and it needs to be fun for all. So you are right and telling the clubs that host these events what you want will only help them.

bruno670

Sep 13, 2006
Sometimes when putting on an event,promoters have all good intentions.But without an objective view, it is possibled to think that what obsticles/layout is good for them as a promoter is maybe not what the participants are looking for as far as difficulty. I know from experience that this is true. One year at Dutch Sport Park when I put on a Harescramble right from the start we ran EVERYONE through a small muddy section. On the backside of this HOLE was a small rather steep incline. If I had the gift of foresight I would have seen the 60 bike pileup that would have occured. BTW, Last year at the Pine Cone the club decided to use part of the Jack Pine and run it at 12 mph. Needless to say all H*ll broke out. I was told that after last year they are going to focus more on the FUN FACTOR instead of the TOUGH factor. I think that this is a fantastic decision on the clubs part. This is intended to PROMOTE the enduro and be a breeding ground for future riders. I hope that all the promoters learn from these lessons of the past to keep the FUN to this sport.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Here are the first two paragraphs of a document that I send to the clubs who organize a Family Enduro:

The intent of the Family Enduros is to help teach the sport of enduros to the young riders and older riders who are new to off road riding. Enduro computers are not allowed, only an odometer and a watch will be needed for these events. The spirit of the Family Enduros is to have fun and treasure the time you ride with your entire family.

The following guidelines are designed to make the family enduros more uniform, while still allowing the club’s event to be unique. These guidelines are meant to help answer some questions that the clubs may have while preparing for their event. The items in the document have been complied from situations experienced in family enduros. We are trying to help you have the best event. If your club has any ideas or suggestions that need to be included, please feel free to contact us.

I think the Harrison event provided some unique experiences...restart format, tighter trail, faster speeds (15 v 12 mph) and three overall winners. It is unfortunate that the fun factor was not high for everyone.
I thought the club did a great job (especially with all of the rain) and would be open to suggestions for improvement (for example - longer breaks). The clubs really enjoys the Family Enduros and many of the club members were riding the event with their kids (one of the Lipovski kids was 13 minutes late at my restart = longer breaks).

I do not want to hijack WR's thread with suggestions for improvement. ANYONE can call me (517-655-5505) or email ( mike@nationalenduro.com ) and we can discuss in more detail.

I am alway looking for suggestions to improve the series and make it more family friendly.

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
It's tough to keep everyone happy all of the time.

Like a "real" enduro event, each FES event should have it's own character. That's part of the fun -- each event brings its own set of challenges. We all have our favorites, and we also have some we don't like so much.

The spirit of the FES is (and rightfully, should be) to give novice and younger riders the "enduro experience." I think it's right on track. And I hope to see more riders "graduate" to riding the Sunday events!

Last edited:

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
UP Magoo said:

Like a "real" enduro event, each FES event should have it's own character. That's part of the fun -- each event brings its own set of challenges. We all have our favorites, and we also have some we don't like so much.

The spirit of the FES is (and rightfully, should be) to give novice and younger riders the "enduro experience." I think it's right on track. And I hope to see more riders "graduate" to riding the Sunday events!
Well said Magoo :cool:

Makeshoes

Nov 9, 2004
This was my first FES or Enduro of any kind, (no kids in tow, just me, 40+). The course was challenging (I'm a C rider). I made it through. I would do it all over again!

However, with the restart formula and the average speed being what it was, when I got to the next restart, I did not have any break.

I had done a lot of reading about the time keeping aspect of enduros. So the week before the event I found out it would be a restart format and I did not even know what that meant. Needless to say, I did not need to do any timekeeping as I was to busy riding.

A great beginning, I had fun. But I do want to learn/experience more about the time keeping aspect of enduros. So, I will show up at the next FES and go from there. My two cents! :cool:

whitebear

Sep 17, 2007
UP Magoo said:

I know that when I got back after first loop, I told my son that some of that trail could have been used for part of the Jack Pine...he got a big grin on his face and said "Really, so I rode some stuff that was as hard as the Jack Pine?" He felt proud of his accomplishment and "I" knew that I needed more practice before this years JP!! :whoa: GREAT FUN!

MuddyBuddy

Nov 1, 2006
I understand what you’re saying Lou Ann about the camaraderie aspect of the event. As a newcomer, I did experience it, but probably not to the extent that you’ve experienced it in the past. I really like the atmosphere of the FES and love seeing the little kids being motivated and having fun out there. I had a chance to briefly talk to total strangers while waiting for our start time to come up and even though I may never see those folks again, I felt a certain bonding with them as we were all in it together so to speak. I enjoyed the Harrison course more than the Arbor Day event, but for me, the cold coupled with slow speeds was much harder to deal with than bouncing off trees!!

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
I would bet that when you show up at the different events you will get a chance to talk to alot of the same people and bond again. Th FES attracts alot of great people to the events making them fun for all. :)
Don
Kalkaska Team Marsh

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
The people are a big part of the enduro experience. I wish I had more time at these events to talk, but I get busy with sign up, selling raffle tickets and scoring.
Some of the best memories can be made the night before the event having dinner with your friends or after the event sharing stories of the ride.

MuddyBuddy

Nov 1, 2006
Don Marsh said:
I would bet that when you show up at the different events you will get a chance to talk to alot of the same people and bond again. Th FES attracts alot of great people to the events making them fun for all. :)
Don
Kalkaska Team Marsh

You're exactly right. Heck, I could have been talking to you for all I know. Not like a tupperware party where everyone has a name tag on. :rotfl:

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Makeshoes - I know who you are....I am glad you decided to join the FES after our phone conversation. Thanks for reminding me who you were at the check. Meeting someone face to face is different when they have their helmet and gear on.
I encourage everyone who enjoys the Family Enduros to bring a family member or a friend to the next event. I think WR deserves an award for all of her efforts on FES recruitment.

Nametags????? Maybe something to think about.....

MuddyBuddy

Nov 1, 2006
Well not to make her blush, but Lou Ann is one of my favorite people and I'm very glad to have met her. I'm also glad she talked us into doing the FES, which has proved to be a very fun event and even my husband had fun and wants to do more.

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
MuddyBuddy said:
Well not to make her blush, but Lou Ann is one of my favorite people and I'm very glad to have met her. I'm also glad she talked us into doing the FES, which has proved to be a very fun event and even my husband had fun and wants to do more.

I'm turning Red.......

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
Fred T said:
I think they have little choice as to the difficulty of the trail or conditions and of course the weather because they only have the land that they have to use and that makes the trail what it is, but they do control the length of time they allow for riders to get back on time and get a rest. I think that in reading your feedback that if you would have had longer times between sections to take a break and talk with friends and family then every thing else would have been OK, so if I am right then tell them that. I alos think that if you had a longer break between loops that would have made it better too, would that be a correct assumption?

And FWIW I agree with you that this is all about family and fun and not a torture test, there is a lot of different levels of riders, in all sizes and skill levels and it needs to be fun for all. So you are right and telling the clubs that host these events what you want will only help them.

OK, Fred, I have had time to get over the difficulty of the trail. I feel better about riding a tight trail, now that it is over.

YES, you are correct that longer breaks would have been made the day much better. After the first loop, I did not have time to eat lunch, and by the time I got to the restart I was having a sugar low. It was the first time in the last 4 years I had one. I was shaking and could not think straight. I am surprised I made it to the restart OK. Luckily Rita had a power bar and offered it to me. I waited for TJ and made him ride with me for the remainder of the race. I left the restart 7 minutes late. By the time I got to the easy stuff I had no energy to enjoy it. Heck I did not have any energy to even get off my bike and walk across the road. I did not even care if I was disqualified. I just rode in survival mode. This was a mental and physical race for me that I was not prepared for.

Longer breaks would have made the day more enjoyable. But you have to remember at 12MPH there are breaks built into the ride automatically, that the promoter does not account for. I still do not think if the first section had been 12mph there would have been time to take small breaks. I do not think I was able to get the bike moving faster than 7mph in the tight stuff.

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
The Muddobbers did something different that added to the family spirit of a family enduro at Mathews. They served a dinner before the trophy presentation. It was a welcome end to the day as family's gather under the pavilion to eat. My family was able to talk to several different people that we never had the chance to before. Cudo's to the Muddobbers.

iroc8210

Jun 26, 2006
fatherandson said:
Makeshoes - I know who you are....I am glad you decided to join the FES after our phone conversation. Thanks for reminding me who you were at the check. Meeting someone face to face is different when they have their helmet and gear on.
I encourage everyone who enjoys the Family Enduros to bring a family member or a friend to the next event. I think WR deserves an award for all of her efforts on FES recruitment.

Nametags????? Maybe something to think about.....

Well, not to come across as a big whiner but I was one of the Newb's that WR recruited. They have been trying to get me to come out for a year now since I met them up at Tomahawk. I suffer from SLS and 95% of the time do just fine and pick my way through tight trail. After the first restart of the BB I realized I was in big trouble :whoa: Thank God Bruno was kind enough to stick with me and help me out of a bunch of sketchy situations. That was the tightest trail I have ever rode and I was definitely NOT prepared for that...needless to say, I didn't even finish the first lap and I'm getting my bike lowered in a few weeks. If it weren't for WR and Bruno I probably would've just said "Forget that...I'm going back to my own rides" but they have convinced me to do the Pine Cone. I'm really hoping I'll be able to finish this event with my bike as is (not lowered) and be smiling and dusty by the end of the night!

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
WomanRider said:
The Muddobbers did something different that added to the family spirit of a family enduro at Mathews. They served a dinner before the trophy presentation. It was a welcome end to the day as family's gather under the pavilion to eat. My family was able to talk to several different people that we never had the chance to before. Cudo's to the Muddobbers.

We are going to try to duplicate the meal after the ride at the Pine Cone. Norwich Twp Fire Dept (Moorestown) is planning to have hot dogs and accessories available after the ride. I hope the pavillion is full of satisfied riders filling their stomachs, sharing riding stories and looking at Stineback Photos.

The fire department will also be at the clubgrounds on Sunday with hamburgers.

Top Bottom