Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
It was awsome. Tom and I took off friday after work. Did not get in till midnight. We met up with Tim (AKA - timvv51) that had got there early at the cabin. You Heartland guys might remember him from the Mckinzey ride. He was Trailryder42's buddie on the YZ250.

After a little sleep it was up early to eat out on the porch and enjoy the surrondings for a bit as I had never been there and it was dark when we pulled in. We headed off to the park (carson national forest) were we unloaded and got dressed. It was a bit chillie, but not to bad for may. There was frost on my bike when I got up.

The first trail was awsome. Taking us up some rocky and rooty stuff then opening up to ATV roads and nice pastures. I think that we were up above 11K. We worked our way down though some realy cool trail and spilled out pretty much in front of the cabin. We did less than a mile or two on the highway back to the trucks. After lunch we took off up the main road to what seemed even higher elevations. The bike was running bad as I could not find all the jets I wanted and changing the needle on the trail is a PITA. So I just settled for some flat jetting. It was pretty much jeep trails and ATV 2 track. We got lost and my buddy was running low on gas. So we headed down the mountain again. This time it was wider road and we shut off the engines and coasted in neutral for a few miles untill we found some markers and were able to guess where we were. We spilled out onto the main road and head for the trucks.

We loaded up on gas and got out the jackets as it was getting cold, but still time to do some nice trail on the other side of the mountains. We hit the trail head and a woman buy a tent waved my buddy down (he was lead followed by me and another guy). There was about a 4 inch log across the trail. He pulls up and stops. She starts yelling a waving he finger at him. I see him kick the bike and take off. I heard her yelling as I pulled up. She said something like "You should not be allowed to be here" and "We just came here to get away from all this" I not sure what all she said to my buddy. I pull up and she starts yelling something and wagging here finger at me so I just yelled "Thanks, Bye" as I was getting over the log. I think that my bud in the back didn't even slow down for her. Tim (up front) was just pissed about the whole thing and is moving pretty briskly across the rock garden. I catch up to him and see him hit a rock and go down along the edge of a rut. Upon inspection the radiator clipped a rock and twisted hard. Its leaking realy bad. He heads back to the truck.

We had to go buy the "Green Trail Wenches" camp again. I should have stopped to explain to here that this is one of just a few public places around that allow us to ride out like this and had she bothered to do her homework she and looked at a map of the place she would have seen she was camped right at the trailhead of a trail marked for off-road use! Stupid There were plenty of places that had nice hiking trails and were quite. It was realy the helmet less quad riders that pissed her off. They were camped close to her. I must have seen the riding up and down the roads and the creek there a million times while eating lunch and getting ready to hit the trail. quads are another story. Saw about 5 bikes in the park all had gear on. Saw about 20 or more quads around. Number of helmets = 0 :|

So back to the trucks and raditor. The inlet hose fitting was bent and leaking. Nobody had anything. Luckily, we found out there was a Trials event about 5 miles away at Sipapu ski area. Tim took the bike down there and the second guy that was asked broke bad with some JB weld. We did some "Fixin" on the rads then headed into Taos for some dinner while leaving the Rad to cure overnight.

Next day things were O.K. Rad holds. We tried several trails that were marked off-road and they seamed unpassable to me so we opped for another part of the park. Bingo. Good trail. Lots of creek crossings and about 8 miles of rock gardens. It was great until we came to a big metal sign that said no vehicles. We ate lunch in the big pasture with a nice view then headed back down a ways to check out another possible good trail that intersected. It was more of the same Rocks and creeks (sweet). Tom turned back as he was tired and was not to fond of the rocks. Tim and I carried on. It got nasty rooty and after walking over a nasty crossing we made it to the top only to find another sign on a trail marked for off-road use. It was about time to leave so back the way we came it was. We loaded up and left. It was great weekend, but the 6 hours home sure sucked! Would I do it again? In a heartbeat!

Here is a link to some pics of the trip

Last edited:

Top Bottom