Oct 28, 2006
I have never owned or even rode anything with a two stroke engine. For my next dirt bike that I should be getting this spring is most likely going to be a 2t. Since I am new to the world of strokes I wanted to know how much you have to change your riding technique.

I am under the impression that because the rapid acceleration on two strokes you have to change the way you ride. A friend of mine got a Kawasaki KX125 and just about ever time he tries to pull a wheelie he flips the bike backwards.

I am not scared. I am open to try anything, but i just wanted to see if there really is a difference or if my friend just sucks at riding :laugh:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
1 sit as far forward as possible on the seat
2 rev it higher than you think you should
3 hang on
4 theres no engine braking
5 not only will you get used to it , you will crave it :nod:

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
ellandoh said:
5 not only will you get used to it , you will crave it :nod:
That's for sure...I was getting ready to walk to school today, a guy was out using his snowblower. Kinda smelt like a two stroke...made me wanna move to Texas...

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Smokers ride way different that 4 Strokes.

Most modern 4 strokes need you for turning, braking and acceleration.. (Wild Overstatement) 2 Strokes actually require you to ride them. Like ellandoh said, no engine braking.. Therefore you need to clutch & brake into corners.

They have a mid range hit that if you aren't familiar with, will cause you to get very familiar with the dirt quality of the track you ride. Find a nice soft place to get used to the hit, and learn what your bike sounds like when it's just about at the point that it's going to toss your a$$.. Then hold on. You'll get familiar with squeezing with your legs very quick.

Smokers aren't supposed to idle for a long time. Start it, warm it up for a minute or two, twist the sh!t out of it.

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
So, basically, get ready to eat dirt? If so, why not go with a smoother accelerating 4-stroke that you can let hit lower rpm's if needed and don't have to worry about fouling a plug if that happens? I don't get it. And with no engine braking (causing you to have to take turns with the clutch engaged and riding the brakes) why not just go with a 4? Price seems to be the only thing I can think of...

loudandproud

Jul 29, 2006
it is much different. The motor just pulls so much more aggresively, NOT MORE, just more aggresivly. Wheel spin is going to happen, but you will get good at controlling it and then you will have i down.

they are harder to ride but really fun, fourstrokes are easier to ride hard and a fun it that way to, so it is just something you will have to learn

By the way, ive flipped my bike over not trying to wheely many a time. The sudden wheelspin in powerband and then regaining traction will get you everytime :laugh:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
XMotoX said:
So, basically, get ready to eat dirt? If so, why not go with a smoother accelerating 4-stroke that you can let hit lower rpm's if needed and don't have to worry about fouling a plug if that happens? I don't get it. And with no engine braking (causing you to have to take turns with the clutch engaged and riding the brakes) why not just go with a 4? Price seems to be the only thing I can think of...

one word, three letters... FUN

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
motocross_rider said:
I have never owned or even rode anything with a two stroke engine. For my next dirt bike that I should be getting this spring is most likely going to be a 2t. Since I am new to the world of strokes I wanted to know how much you have to change your riding technique.

I am under the impression that because the rapid acceleration on two strokes you have to change the way you ride. A friend of mine got a Kawasaki KX125 and just about ever time he tries to pull a wheelie he flips the bike backwards.

I am not scared. I am open to try anything, but i just wanted to see if there really is a difference or if my friend just sucks at riding :laugh:

Depends on the bike. Some 2-strokes pull from down low quite well, and if jetted correctly they do not foul plugs. Just takes adapting to it like anything else.

What bike did your friend have before the KX125? If he does not have good throttle control/technique that may be why he flipped it.

Having had both I prefer a 2-stroke because I find it more challenging and fun.

chevyss_98

Feb 26, 2006
I pretty much went from an oldschool 2-stroke, right to a CR-250R, 2000, i can suggest lots of things for the conversion,

for sure hug the gas tank, and if your gonna wheelie, its all about clutch control, but first start out by expecting when the powerband is gonna kick in, using the peak of the powerband, you just ride it!! lol

and when your goin over jumps, you can revv it up quicker in the air to balance things out, and dont worry about stalling the bike if you hammer on the back brake before a turn, cause itll get itself goin again

you'll definately love 2-strokes for jumps, and hopefully never go back to those thumper type bikes... i mean...ewww, lol

enjoy

Oct 28, 2006
IndyYZ85 said:
They have a mid range hit that if you aren't familiar with, will cause you to get very familiar with the dirt quality of the track you ride. Find a nice soft place to get used to the hit, and learn what your bike sounds like when it's just about at the point that it's going to toss your a$$.. Then hold on. You'll get familiar with squeezing with your legs very quick.

By the way you put this it sounds as if I am going to be flipping a lot. Please explain why this is, and how easy it is.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
When trying to wheelie, landing on your back can be viewed as part of the learning process. If you have decent throttle/clutch control, you should not have to worry about it too much during regular riding.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Anssi said:
Should I really not shift up from 3rd?

BTW, I'm now officially spoiled by the usable power of four-strokes and will get back on a YZ450F or a CRF450R as soon as possible.
It is very hard to know when he shifts as he pulls the clutch pretty fast while keeping the throttle pined. I rode in this track all summer long and I can assure you that he is in 4th wide open throttle when he climbs that hill. It doesn't look very steep on tape, but trust me it is something in reality.

Canmx120

Mar 25, 2006
elliot67 said:
That's for sure...I was getting ready to walk to school today, a guy was out using his snowblower. Kinda smelt like a two stroke...made me wanna move to Texas...

Just move over here to the east coast, we're still riding and proabably will be till mid-late november.

xcracer72

Uhhh...
May 28, 2006
XMotoX said:

price and gender

mongial

Oct 28, 2006
xcracer72 said:
price and gender

LOL

Ok lets get real. A 2 stroke is as scary or as friendly as you make it. Your not gonna flip the thing unless you are as bad a rider as your friend (and yes he sucks!) Do not be intimidated by it.

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
don't worry about it, ive been riding 2t's for as long as ive been riding, and i only need a couple fingers to count how many times ive looped out. take it easy for your first couple rides and you'll catch on no problem.

KDX CRAZY

Sep 22, 2005
Your mate is probably trying to wheelie in first gear which is not recommended , use 2nd or 3rd rather , easier to control the power .

2 stroke takes more work than a 4t to ride , but you wont get bored with a 2 stroke , also less maintenance and costs less if you blow the motor .

YZ82

Nov 2, 2006
What do you do with a 2T when you hit a jump? I see some guys let off the throttle once they take off and I have people telling me at school to down shift and hold it wide open. The guys at school are just a**h**es, so I think they just want me to make the bike go boom.

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
keep the throttle steady all the way off the face of the jump, and land with the throttle on. what those guys might have tried to tell you is to downshift in the air, which you could do so when you land your still in the powerband. don't try to gas it right at the lip because that isn't really reliable; one small variant in timing could result in a crash.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I have more trouble keeping the front wheel down on the 450's than I do the 2-strokes. The 450's pull hard at every rpm so a little accidental twist at any speed brings the front wheel up right away. A 2 stroke wont pull hard unless you're in its powerband. When the 2-strokes do hit, they usually just spin the tire. 4-strokes hook up and lift that front end. I personally think the 2-strokes are easier to ride. The lower center of gravity is nice, too.

Downshifting before you hit he ground is a sure way to over-rev the motor. Staying on the gas in the air is a good way to break gears in the tranny when you hit the ground.

Top Bottom