FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
If I am hearing what your peers are saying, the likely result will be a boner air.
Best bet is steady throttle up the face. A higher gear is easier on you (especially if you are new enough to be asking). Once in the air, I let off and then get back in it right before I land. Remember, if you aren't gripping the bike with your knees, you will likely fall backwards with the throttle still in your hand. Also, last weekend I landed with my foot too far forward after leaving in 2nd, my toe bumped the shifter into neutral and I almost went over the bars when I landed.

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
motocross_rider said:
By the way you put this it sounds as if I am going to be flipping a lot. Please explain why this is, and how easy it is.

This only occurs when people have poor throttle/clutch control and have not learned how to cover the rear brake. Its not a problem, really!

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
mongial said:
LOL

Ok lets get real. A 2 stroke is as scary or as friendly as you make it. Your not gonna flip the thing unless you are as bad a rider as your friend (and yes he sucks!) Do not be intimidated by it.

Exactly!!!!

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
YZ82 said:
What do you do with a 2T when you hit a jump? I see some guys let off the throttle once they take off and I have people telling me at school to down shift and hold it wide open. The guys at school are just a**h**es, so I think they just want me to make the bike go boom.

Do as Chris said in his post; but it really depends on the jump. Doing as he said on most jumps will get you the best results while learning.

Some times I am on the throttle, just holding it steady, or even with if off; but all that comes from experience.

Oct 28, 2006
So what do you mean by clutch and throttle control? What will really have to do to prevent from flipping the bike?

My dad has been riding ever since he was a kid and when he heard that I wanted a 2t he said that I would want to stay away from them because I will get myself hurt.

I thought about it and if the two strokes are really that easy to flip people wouldn't be starting their little kids off on them. Plus, if they were so dangerous and people flip and get hurt on them that often they would most likely stop producing them. Am I right, or should I listen to my dad?

joeym4130

Aug 29, 2006
I dont get why itd be easy to flip? Maybe if you never rode any type of bike , be it a bicycle or motorcycle. My first bike was a RM250, and I never had it flip even when learning wheelies. I rode BMX for about 8 years before MX but still..

I think you are worrying too much!

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
XMotoX said:
So, basically, get ready to eat dirt? If so, why not go with a smoother accelerating 4-stroke that you can let hit lower rpm's if needed and don't have to worry about fouling a plug if that happens? I don't get it. And with no engine braking (causing you to have to take turns with the clutch engaged and riding the brakes) why not just go with a 4? ...

I guess you could just watch from the sidelines and take the rest of the fun out of it altogether!

And if that guy in the video would get out of third he wouldn't need a top end so often!

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
motocross_rider said:
So what do you mean by clutch and throttle control? What will really have to do to prevent from flipping the bike?

My dad has been riding ever since he was a kid and when he heard that I wanted a 2t he said that I would want to stay away from them because I will get myself hurt.

I thought about it and if the two strokes are really that easy to flip people wouldn't be starting their little kids off on them. Plus, if they were so dangerous and people flip and get hurt on them that often they would most likely stop producing them. Am I right, or should I listen to my dad?
It's a little hard to describe except to say that on a 2, you need to keep the motor revved up enough that it is making power while using clutch slippage to pull out of the corners. It is really just something that you learn to do with experience.
I once saw a 200+ lb man come off of the back of a KX65 because he wasn't ready for the power to hit. I have also seen my 55lb son hold the front wheel (of the same bike) 6-12 inches of the ground for 40 ft when the gate dropped. The child displayed very good throttle and clutch control that day. The adult had none.

Top Bottom