keltickiwi

Jan 7, 2008
Hey guys, my '90 KDX200 has a seperate oil tank and a wee lil oil level warning light which is pretty cool.

My real question is - i see lots of people on here talking about pre-mix ratios and obviously i dont get to enjoy that privelage. Why is my bike so special it deserves an oil tank?

Final question - if this bike has "oil injection"...does it just mix the oil and gas in the carb or do more clever things with it? Do i have to worry so much about closed throttle coasting on road like i would with a pre-mix bike?

newblue

Jan 8, 2008
What is this closed throttle coasting you speak of? :think:

I'm a noob. I can ride, just don't know all the stuff I need to know about the bike yet.

keltickiwi

Jan 7, 2008
'tis where you would have the throttle closed and a high engine rpm....like when engine braking in a car. Of course - it aint good for a 2t cos closed throttle = not much fuel gettin thru = not much oil gettin thru. And high rpm = need for oil

rostifer

Mar 23, 2006
Be a smart man and pull in the clutch when your coasting. There is the answer to your problem and don't feel so special about your little oil tank. Hey Newblue. go to Motospeak to get a little dirt biking vocab.

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
On my old KE175,which had oil injection and a tank, the oil was injected at three locations. Both main crank bearings and between the carb and cylinder.
A manual for your bike might be a good idea.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
rostifer said:
Be a smart man and pull in the clutch when your coasting. There is the answer to your problem and don't feel so special about your little oil tank. Hey Newblue. go to Motospeak to get a little dirt biking vocab.
Take it easy, they're just making inquiries. I guess if I bought a POS berg I might be a little testy too though.

newblue

Jan 8, 2008
rostifer said:

Sweet thanks :cool:

wileyE

Jul 6, 2003
Use injector oil , not popular premix-only oils often discussed on these forums.

Keep track of your fuel and oil usage for a few tanks and do the math to see what your AVERAGE ratio is. Then adjust the pump if need be, most can be turned down some.

Fryspeed

Apr 26, 2007
Your bike with oil injection is an f or sr model.They also have steel tanks and 28mm carbs.When you shut the throttle down the oil pump still works and pushes a smaller amoungt of oil through.The pump is cable operated so as you open her up the oil pump opens up as well. :cool:

keltickiwi

Jan 7, 2008
cheers fryspeed, thats some helpful advice. If im not supposed to be using pre-mix formulated oils - what should i use? At the moment im running some Motul stuff reccomended from tony rees.

Yup ive got a steel tank so the SR model sounds plausible - any other gadgets or quirks on the SR?

And go easy on rostifer, i get pissed off when noobs come into the forum i hang out on (ultimateSubaru) and start asking questions we've covered a million times.

newblue

Jan 8, 2008
rostifer said:

Hey I googled Motospeak, and came up with nothing. Any help?

keltickiwi

Jan 7, 2008
No idea what or where to find Motospeak....but i found this place quite handy when a new term im unfamiliar with comes up: [ok cant post links so google totalmotorcycle dictionary]

Still a bit concerned about the oil im using - will premix formula oil seize my wee motor? I had a bit of a scout round the local bike store and couldnt find any injection specific oil.

And while im here let me give another big thumbs up to No-Toil - really impressed with its easy to useness :)

breezeair

Feb 8, 2006
If you can't find injection friendly oil at the motorcycle shop I would go to a boat store and by quicksilver plus syn. outboard motor oil. Don't think that it's not good stuff, todays outboard motors turn more rpm's than your kdx ever will.

Top Bottom