High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
OldAndSmelly89'er can give us a much more valuable opinion than mine, but here's mine anyway....

If you're coasting into the corner, you did too much breaking too early.  For me, the slowest part of the turn is usually when I stop braking, lean it over, sit forward, and get on the gas.  Ideally, if you're not on the brakes, you should be on the gas.  Not necessarily hard, but powering through the turn.

Maybe you can follow Trout up for a weekend and take a class with Ike!?

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Ike uses me as an example of how *not* to do things!

Did you notice me stomping on the footpeg because I couldn't find the rear brake in the air over the step-up last weekend? What a spode!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by High Lord Gomer

If you're coasting into the corner, you did too much breaking too early

if you're not on the brakes, you should be on the gas.  Not necessarily hard, but powering through the turn.

Yeah! What High Lard Goober said. :confused: :laugh:

There again, using the one or two finger method on the lever will give you the control you need even if your are leaning in the corner. Practice going into a smooth, flat corner and applying the front brake using only one finger. If the front wheel starts to slide, release the brake. If your brakes are not that good, use two fingers. If you have the room, go around in a circle and while leaning over try to slow the bike down using the front brake. Don't grab it, just lightly apply the brake to see what it feels like. Do this at a slow speed at first.

You will notice the front end will dive and the wheel will try to turn in on you. This is called 'pushing the front end'. There is a critical balance point there that you can only find by practice. The more you do it, the more comfortable you will get.

Be sure to wear ALL of your riding gear. You WILL crash a few times learning this process.

Never use more than two fingers on the lever. This leaves your other two fingers and thumb to control the bike.

Like Gomer said, you should be either on the brakes or on the gas. If your coasting, your losing time. :thumb:

Just my $ .02

Ol'&smelly

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
THanx for the explanation...Sounds like this is a technique that develops slowly. I'll keep working on it. My biggest weakness is not trusting my brakes and slowing down ahead of time "just to be safe."

Dr_Doom

Feb 4, 2003
What are these things you call brakes? Doesnt anyone just use their feet to slow their bike down?

Anyhow, I come from the same situation. It gets more natural to use it over time. Especially for Endos...which come especially handy in the pits for pissing off everyone else.

Dont do it myself, but it's always tempting.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Brakes are what skinny people use when their butt cheeks are not sufficiently large to wrap around the seat and rub on the tire to slow down.

I'm not sure if my bike has brakes or not. :confused:

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
I use the front brake ALOT almost never use the rear. But I grew up on vintage bikes with cable operated front and rear drums you could smash that front brake as hard as you could pull with all fingers, and not lock it so when I finally got a "NEW TECHNOLOGY" hydro front and rear I damn near endoed the firts time I used it cause i used my whole hand now I just use one finger and I get great control

Top Bottom