saddletramp

Oct 6, 2006
After my last ride I noticed a fair amount of water in my air box. I had the snorkel out with 4,5/8 holes drilled in the lid. It was raining pretty hard but will contribute some of the water to wash up afterward. I put the snorkel back in and put duct tape over the holes. Do most of you seal up your airbox for winter riding?

saddletramp

Oct 6, 2006
Yeah, I guess I did not explain that very well. The water was draining out, but after it soaked the bottom of the filter and foamed up the filter oil and sealing grease.

saddletramp

Oct 6, 2006
I am guessing some or most was from wash down I dont know, I rode thru some deep puddles but nothing close to the seat. I just installed a new 1173 and I could see some of the foamy looking oil in the carb body.

strider80

Feb 3, 2003
Hmm, I never have noticed any water.....but I don't remember ever opening up the carb or airbox immediately after washing or riding the bike through water.

Where have you been riding lately? I am not sure where to go to avoid gigantic puddles.

saddletramp

Oct 6, 2006
I know its rained at least 12" since fri. sunday morning it stopped for a while. There is a pipeline close to here on ft. lewis kind of risky though. I have read that people are riding up in shelton, I dont know if Belfair is open year round?

X Fab

Aug 29, 2006
When running through water fast, at times i've gotten water in my airbox (lid off, no holes elsewhere). I added foam between the frame and lower left side of the gas tank to block what looked like a direct shot to the top of the airbox. I haven't the prob since. Hmmmm.....maybe I need to go faster now.

strider80

Feb 3, 2003
Belfair is usually the best bet in winter, it is open year round. It is mostly sand/silt, so it drains okay, not much mud, but there are huge puddles that you can usually skirt. Lots of wet rocks and roots too, but it is still fun!

Top Bottom