ben419

Jun 20, 2006
i have been riding a 04yz450 since the summer of 05. it was my first mx'r and i had very limited experience prior to the new purchase. since than i have gone to local practice tracks on weekends pretty regularly. even after almost two years of riding i'm unable to make more than one lap at an aggressive speed. the fatigue is in my throttle side forearm and causes inability to safely brake and control the bike on the ground. i have stuck to a brief but brisk regular excersise redgement, and i lift weights focusing on repatition of the wrist and forarm. i have also made adjustments to the bar postition and fork height. still i cant but wonder if its just too much bike for my skill level.
23yrs old
5'10.5'', 178lbs
very aggressive/motivated.

Jun 5, 2006
i dont know what to say man. It seems like if you've had that thing for 2 years and if your atheletic you should be getting more used to it. You're pretty normal size too. I think it's up to you. Working out may not necessarily solve your problem since your workout will most likely not work the muscles that are getting tired. I'd say the best thing to do is to just ride it more and grunt through the pain while you're riding, that will improve your muscles. if that doesn't work then try downsizing.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Be careful about building the forearm muscles up too much. That can actually make arm pump worse by the larger muscles pinching off the blood flow.

A few things to try:
- Squeeze the bike with your legs more and loosen your grip
- Take a couple of Advil before riding
- Drink lots of water
- Remind yourself to relax
- Before and after riding, stretch out the muscles in your forearm by leaning against a wall with your elbows locked. Place both hands, fingers up, so they are flat on the wall and hold for 20-30 seconds. Do this 3 times. It will be tough to get the heel of your hand to touch the wall but after a week or so it will get easier

ben419

Jun 20, 2006
it feels like turning is where i seem to muscle the bike the most. i watch vetrans and try to mimic there body postion, but still carry weak corner speed and thats where the fatigue is coming from.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
RM_guy said:
- Squeeze the bike with your legs more and loosen your grip.

Granted, I'm riding a bike with a lot less power and less weight, but I also only weigh 145 lbs.

I was having lots of arm pump issues last year until I started concentrating on squeezing with my legs.

I know I haven't been squeezing when my arms start to hurt.

The other things will help as well.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
ben419 said:
it feels like turning is where i seem to muscle the bike the most. i watch vetrans and try to mimic there body postion, but still carry weak corner speed and thats where the fatigue is coming from.

How's your body position in the turns? Have one of the fast guys watch you and see, or better yet, take a class with someone.

Do you ever have trouble with the front end wanting to wash? I'm wondering if your need to muscle the bike through the corners is a result of not getting far enough forward . . .

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
ben419 said:
Are you muscling the bike around the turns? Improper technique can drain a lot of energy. Read though some of the existing threads on cornering and practice them. Once you get the right balance in turns to can relax as if you were on a straight. Have you ever seen Stewart or other pros pulling a tearoff off while in a turn? That's because they are in control and relaxed.

ben419

Jun 20, 2006
i have not tried squeezing with my legs. so i'm kinda excited to try that along with the other tips. i really appreciate the advice. my only regret is that i wish i would have started riding earlier because i'm really into this sport.

ben419

Jun 20, 2006
i constantly feel like if i go any faster around a turn the front end wants to wash out. i lowered the fork tubes down two lines, but not much difference. body postion must be whats causing my problems.

njkx

Apr 13, 2004
in addition to the advice given about gripping the bike with your legs, you might want to go slower. You are better off doing 3 or 4 slow laps than 1 fast one. Don't worrry so much about speed at first. Once you get to 3 or 4 laps without arm pump, then try to increase your speed.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
As previously suggested learn to grip the bike with your knee's, if your not wearing out shroud graphics you're not gripping enough. Learn to relax your hands over jumps to give them a rest, at least that's what the guys who are in the air long enough to relax tell me, I have a death grip for the .05 of a second my wheels leave the ground. :laugh:

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
besides squeezing with your legs, try to get further forward with your head and chest. If you're having any type of pull on your arms (ie your arms are straightening under acceleration) this will work to cause fatigue and arm pump. Also, more riding (more times a week) helps too.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Brief, squeez the bikes with your legs and loosen your grip on the throttle!

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
For me, the first section in an enduro and the first practice before a MX race both leave my forearms pumped up. If I then take a few minute break, I'm more relaxed and have less problems with it.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
As mentioned a few times earlier, squeezing the grips too hard is bad - it will tire you out and cause arm pump.

You do not need a death grip on the bars. In fact, you can control the bars with a very very light grip.

Practice riding with a very light grip.

If the bar wants to turn too far to the left, push the bar back to the right using your left hand and arm - you don't even need to grab either grip to do this - just push the bar with the "c" shape between your thumb and forefinger. When the bar turns too far to the left, the natural tendency is to grab the right grip and pull the bar toward you. The natural tendency is much more tiring.

ben419

Jun 20, 2006
if i'm riding with proper body position; is it safe to say i should be winded before fatigued? my right arm gets so swollen and fatigued i have to be muscling the bike. since i got the bike i have really concentrated on jumping everything on the track. i should have learned and practiced the fundamentals first.

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
Had to reply because it sounds just like I get. I was out this weekend, and we were at a practice track. If my left forearm would last longer, I could stay out there forever. Seriously. Aerobically speaking, I dont have a problem needing to stop to catch my breath. I can turn one lap really quickly, but then I have to slow down on account of my arm. Then its weird, but after about 20 minutes of riding, it mostly goes away, at least the tight feeling, and then its just a little weak. The third lap of the day is the worst for me!

I get the tightness in my right forearm, and also the first bones in my fingers get really sore. Ive done a few things that seem to help over the years...

First, my gloves. I was wearing XXL and still, they were too tight even though they didnt seem so when not riding. This was causing the "ham" of my thumb to cramp up.
I had to find some super big gloves that were nice and loose at the cuff and at the palm.

Then my jersey. I cut alll the damned wrist cuffs off! Believe it or not that made a big difference with the forearm issues.

And, you have to pace yourself. I try to find sections of the track where I can unwrap my fingers, and stretch them out while riding, while leaving my palm on the grip of course. I try to reserve the death grip for jumps. :)

ben419

Jun 20, 2006
will landing with the power on make for a softer transition? im not ready to scrub my jumps and it seems like it takes more effort for me to clear the same jumps others clear effortlessly. i can tell i'm in the air much longer/higher making for a harder landing, and causing fatigue.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Holding on the gas during a landing will stiffen the suspension and help to absorb a hard impact as long as you land on the rear wheel.

Have you tried seat bouncing the jumps? There are a lot of threads on the technique if you want to read up on it.

You say it is harder for you to clear the jumps but then you say you over jump them by jumping longer/higher. Can you elaborate?

ben419

Jun 20, 2006
when i said i jump longer, i meant my hangtime is longer, not distance. i should have been more specific. my dad even commented it looks as if my run-up speed is faster than others to clear the same table or double.
as for seat bouncing, i tried what i thought was a seat bounce on an up hill jump where i couldn't shift into third like i needed to. i held 2nd to the limiter and really tried to preload the suspension to clear the hill. i wrecked when i landed sideways on top but it did work...briefly. i am going to check out previous theads on the subject.

ben419

Jun 20, 2006
are there any specific training videos anyone would recommend? i found one for 24.99 but i know you get what you pay for....and that sounds kinda cheap.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom