triplerider

Apr 5, 2002
need help!Newbie on this site. i have a 1998 kdx 200 just installed a fmf burly pipe..Noticed from the day i bought the bike(used) is seems to bog out at low rpm so i cant ride good wheelies.I took carb off set the float to the correct level and cleaned it thoughly.also new top end and cleaned power valve parts.I want to put some racing reeds in what kind pro series? part #'s and do i have to change the jets if so what size brand part #s.Any input would be much appreciated!!Ohh ya im gonna use the airbox cover as a frisbee hehe :aj:

teton

Dec 13, 2000
Welcome aboard, the jetting question needs to be figured out first, but you need to find out what is in there first. Check out the jetting info on the: justKDX site, and try a search for jetting on this board, once you find out what you have you can change it, that well help out a bunch.

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
Most do have a number on it.

Not sure about kdx's though.

Dont pull the main jet yet.

Do a plug chop and see if your jetting is rich or lean and at what throttle position. Then you can change the jets accordingly.

Welcome!

DVO

Nov 3, 2001
You can remove the main jet without removing the carb. The throttle cable will probably limit the amount you can rotate the carb so remove the slide(keep it on the cable wrapped in a liint free cloth), loosen the boot and rotate the carb to expose the bottom. Remove the drain thingy and you can see your main jet inside. You can also amost see all of your pilot also but not quite. Be carefull when removing and replacing. Note how tight it is when removing. The number should be stamped on it somewhere and you may need good light to read it. Write down the jet sizes 'cause if you're anything like me, you'll forget with time.
G'luck. DVO

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
hey dude u'll see this place is cool sounds like what i went through.i'm not as technical as some guys here but here is my 2 pennies. i asked the guy i bought my 200 from to write the important info down to save me some leg work.well......i have some advise for u......look urself don't b lazy like me and trust what someone else says.carbs are not as tough to figure out as most think.eric gorr's forward motion also good reading.listen to the others, first set the best jetting and oil mix then one mod at a time adjust to them,if u try to do it all at once u'll get lost and never figure it out.good luck, when u get it in tune ohhhhhhhhh how sweet it is lol

DVO

Nov 3, 2001
Do yourself a favour and do a search under "plug chop". You'll find tons of info that'll keep you busy for some time to come...

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
Hey triple, my advice is if your bike bogs down low but pulls good at high rpm, then you should concentrate on getting a smaller pilot jet and maybe moving the needle clip up a notch, lowering the needle. Just my 2 cents though.

zilla

Nov 4, 2001
If when idling you have to fan the throttle to get the revs up, then your pilot jet is partially clogged. This is a common occurance in motorcycles, as the fuel will laquer after prolongs storage, etc.. The pilot jet is the most prone to laquer fowling as it has a very small opening.. It may just need to be removed and cleaned/blown out.. Many times a bog will be caused by a lean condition and not enough fuel in the carberation system to get the revs to pick up..

zilla

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
sure can.

Find a big straightaway. Accelerate all the way up to 4th gear or so, then hold the throttle wide open(to check the main jet, if you want to check the needle setting, hold the throttle at 1/2)) with the bike revved out for 10 seconds., then in one quick motion let off the gas, pull in the clutch and hit the kill button and coast to a stop with the clutch pulled in and the engine off. Pull out the plug and look at the porcelan right where the electrode comes out. A light tan color means that the jetting is sopt on. A black color means the jetting is too rich and a silvery or white color means its too lean.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I just jumped to the end of this...didn't read all the inputs. So to the extent they are repeated, just say 'I agree'.

1. FmF 'burly' doesn't mean a thing. Kg-30 or -35? (that for future questions you may have about jetting. It makes a difference what pipe you are running)..and (repeat) saying you have a burly is no information.
2. Dollars to donuts the jetting isn't right. Few bikes are.
3. Checkout: http://justkdx.dirtrider.net for basic info on jetting.
4. Off idle bog is a pilot/AS issue. Adjust the AS for best response by no more than 1/8 turns. Hi-idle is NOT likely the best throttle response setting.

Jetting sequences START with a correct main. The main can and does effect idle/pilot/AS performance if it's incorrect.

Bought it used? Get rid of (drain) the gas that's in it. Period. Any time you store it for more than a couple weeks, put stabil gas conditioner in it.

Reed setup? MotoTassinari DeltaForceII. So much better than a boyesen radvalve...certainly better than a set of power reeds on the stock cage.

Top Bottom