JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
Yesterday I went to the local recruiter and had a talk. He took down my name and number and everything. Nothing is for sure yet because im not 17 but when I turn 17 I will be joining the U.S. Marines.

When I graduate I will be going in full time and also doing the Marine Corps Institute. I go to college at my own pace while im in the military and when my term is up those credits and hours transfer to a lot of other schools.

I thought about this for a long time and ever since I was a kid I wanted to join. My parents and I talked it over and both agreed that I would join if I did the college thing and finished when I got out. I am excited and nervous because this has always been a dream of mine. Even though it is still 2 years away.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Congrats!

Make sure you listen and choose your MOS carefully to match what you hope to get out of your time in the service.

I did not get in the service when I signed up at your age b/c I failed my physical (too light believe it or not) and by the time I could pass it I was 3/4 through college.

I think military service is a great thing and teaches a lot of strong values and discipline that we all need.

Good luck!

Ivan

Coop

Jan 21, 2000
Congrats! Like truespode I failed the physical in high school (I am more than 60% deaf) it is about my only regret that I didn't get to serve. So good for you and I wish you the best of luck.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I firmly believe that not serving in the military hurt my development as a man. I learned some things later in life and with much harsher consequences. Am I less of a man for not serving? No. But I feel I would have learned lessons (and more completely in some areas) had I served.

My father served (Purple Heart Vietnam and 21 years after in intelligence). My grandfather served (10th Mtn Div, Bronze Star WWII) and I respect their discipline and ability to handle tough situations without losing their cool.

Ivan

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
thanks for your support guys. that does mean a lot. i was afraid of everyone who is against the war thinking i am dumb for signing up.

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
I still have a lot of time to think about it but im pretty sure im going to do the basic training and pick Combat Arms as my MOS. What I am going to try to do is then go and do the Officer Candidate School to become a 2nd lieutenant. Then go on and complete the Platoon Leader Class.

I know this seems like a lot to accomplish but I have wanted this all of my life and cant wait to try and pursue it.

ohmthis

Jan 31, 2008
congrats, It may not be popular right now, but you are following you dreams and noone can stop that. We need people to protect our country and Thank you for doing your part. Good luck! :)

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
It may not be popular right now
So says the media and extremists ...

Don't give them a second thought bro... there are MANY of us that appreciate those that serve. Something else to consider, there was a time when we got spit on, yet still took great pride in the uniform and our service.... it's not even close to that these days.

Go for it, the day will come when you'll know you did the right thing.

mateo_32

Feb 14, 2007
I don't post on here much but I saw this one and had to respond.. I served for 7 years (Navy) and I firmly believe that it was the best thing I have ever done. I learned a lot and it has helped me throughout my life. Good luck and don't let the recruiter try to talk you into an MOS you don't want. Tell him what you want and stick to it. :cool:

Kwakasaki

Aug 22, 2004
Okiewan said:
So says the media and extremists ...

Don't give them a second thought bro... there are MANY of us that appreciate those that serve. Something else to consider, there was a time when we got spit on, yet still took great pride in the uniform and our service.... it's not even close to that these days.

Go for it, the day will come when you'll know you did the right thing.

AMEN! Well put sir. :cool:

B

biglou

Do your best to get a guaranteed MOS. If your test scores are high enough, you will qualify for any number of fields, so pick a good one and get it in writing. For instance, you might qualify for avionics, but that covers a broad range of possible jobs you might get. Still, and this is coming from experience, the more technical training and experience you can get, the better off you'll be when you get out and head into the real world. And of course, if you "rock" out of your schooling, you'll get dropped into infantry or ordinance or something else where they need a slot filled that doesn't require a higher test score. So, just like for college, apply yourself in schooling after bootcamp and you will be fine. Now, by all means, if you have your heart set on being in the infantry, go for it, but try to keep your mind open for what lies down the road a ways and where you might gain the most benefits for your future after the service.

And thank you. :cool:

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
JD-MX Hey man congrats. Im from Kirkland, just by chance who is your recruiter? I had Sgt. Harper about 2 years ago. He was the only recruiter for both Rockford and Dekalb back then. I was curious if he was still around. Im stationed at Lejeune right now, I signed up right out of highschool myself, and no regrets so far! My only advice is really think hard about what you want to do for a job. If you want to be a grunt, then be a grunt. Just know that you can go thru OCS no matter what your job is. You dont have to be a grunt to become an Officer. I am a Engineering Equipment Operator, which is a pretty choice job for me, because I grew up on a farm, and plan on going back to farming once my 4 years is up. No matter what you do Im sure you will do fine. If you ever get to lejeune let me know, we can go riding!

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Good on you, and guaranteed MOS is the way to go. The college thing is a good idea too. My wife let the gov't pay for her associates degree during her first term (there are minor expenses with tuition assistance). She left active duty after 4 years and played the reserve game for a while. During this time she finished up her bachelors. A few years ago, while activated with her reserve unit, she put in an OCS package and was accepted. Now she is an active duty Lieutenant working on her master's degree (more tuition assistance). Fair warning, OCS and TBS are tougher than boot camp. Keep your head up, stay focused and out of trouble, and you can go far in the corps.

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
Thank you all for your support and advice. I am taking it all into consideration. Most likely I will pick Combat Arms as my MOS but I may do something with computers. I dont remember what it is called off the top of my head because when I get out that is what I plan on doing. Either that or making a career out of the military. I wont decide that till after boot camp and all that.

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
I tried to sign up for the Girl Scouts but they would not let me. :yell:

I think it is so cool to hear a young man get excited about building a future that will pay dividends the rest of your life.
The military is a right of passage that is so lacking these days.I would encourage you to read anything you can find on what it means to be a warrior in the true sense of the word.
Hats off the the elders here blessing this mans endeavour. :cool:

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I was a 4066/4067 (data dink) during my time. Let me know what you need to help make you decision and I can try to get you the info (not the stuff recruiters say). In fact feel free to email me.

Bones74

May 28, 2008
I was in the marines. I can give you this advice. Think hard about what you want to do after you get out and sign up for that MOS. Don't be like me and go RECON becuase you had some worthless talents like I did ( martial arts, sharpshooter) Because I feel that I was behind when I got out. Just a thought.

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
Bones74 said:
I was in the marines. I can give you this advice. Think hard about what you want to do after you get out and sign up for that MOS. Don't be like me and go RECON becuase you had some worthless talents like I did ( martial arts, sharpshooter) Because I feel that I was behind when I got out. Just a thought.

im not totally sure what my MOS will be. Since I want to become an officer I think I will pick combat arms ground. But before i go to the officer candidate school I will complete atleast 2 years of college for engineering or something with computers. But in the military I really want to do combat arms incase I make a career out of it that is what I would want to be in.

Bones74

May 28, 2008
Here is a little info that is not well known. If you score in the top 3% in camp, you get a rank increase. Food for thought. Two years of college sounds like it will have to wait since you have signed up already. OCS is a good route if you plan on being a lifer. That was my original thought (Got Hurt) Good luck and don't let the camp mind games get you.

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
thanks for your advice bones74. i havent technically signed up yet. i cant till im 17 but they have my name and number and everything now and im sure as soon as i turn 17 or 18 they will be in touch.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
You can not go to OCS until you have you batchelors degree (2 years won't cut it). Also, your MOS has absolutely no effect on whether or not you are accepted for OCS.

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
yea i know you have to be atleast a junior in college to start some officer training. cant remember what its called. but you do that and then once thats over and you earned your bachelor degree then you can go to OCS.

I just got some more info in the mail. its all about the NROTC program. I dont want to do that because that is for either the navy or marine reserves. Is there another way to have them pay for most of my college w/o joining that? im still a little fuzzy about the basic training and college at the same time thing. or which comes first and so on.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
There are ways, and I think that you are referring to MECEP. I have just been briefed on that program.

You may find it easier to just take the tuition assistance and attend classes online or at night. Then, once you have your degree you can put in a package for OCS. Either way, the acceptance process is quite selective, so there is no guarantee that you will make it. Don't let that discourage you, instead it should fuel you to soak up all of the knowledge you can, and keep your nose clean. Your military records will have an affect on the decision making process, as will most other aspects of your life (including any tattoos that you may have).

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
You'll be making many decisions and perhaps the most critical will be the buddies you align with at boot and onward. You'll see many things that up until the time you've only seen on TV. This isn't a bad thing, just reality... and you'll be stronger for it. Picking and choosing your friends will be critical. Be smart, don't be lazy and don't expect something for nothing...

When/if in country, keep your head down...

I look forward to having you as a brother... good luck and gods speed.

Top Bottom