BenJamieMike

Jul 25, 2003
Recently I've been growing an interest in dirt bikes and have a rough idea where to start. I'm very interested in racing as well as just biking offroad with some friends. I'm a 5'10'' 15 years old and am about 150 pounds. I'm leaning towards a 250 fourstroke but am not sure if that is the way to go. Would a 250 be too much bike for me? I know that honda, kawasaki, and suzuki are each releasing a 250 fourstroke competetive bike in the fall, can you please give me some tips on which would be my best bet. Please help me.

dobent56

Jul 26, 2003
If you're talking about the YZ250F,NEW KX/RM 250 F four strokes,these are not a good first bike for someone with no experience.They are great bikes,but not for raw beginners from a performance or maintenance stand point.
I would recommend a TTR225 OR 250,a CRF230,or DRZ 250. These all would have excellent resale if properly cared for,a real plus when and if you want to move up.
For a two stroke I'd get a KDX200/220. Doug

Dogman5

Jun 20, 2003
Also look into the Kawsaki KX100 and the Suzuki RM100. A very good gap for the inbetween from the 85cc and 125cc bikes.

If you are going to start out on a 125 2-stroke, or 250 4-stroke, your going to have a very tough time learning, and not having fun like you would be on a smaller, less powerful bike. And I cringe to say "less powerful" because these bikes are all VERY powerful, but the 250F 4-stroke will be a pain to learn on.

But deffinetly check out the 100s.

dobent56

Jul 26, 2003
Dogman5 is right!I keep forgetting about those bikes,and they're great machines.Karel Kramer,one of the few testers I;ve got much use for,had them rated in his top 5 bikes,and he's over 200lbs ! Doug

BenJamieMike

Jul 25, 2003
so you are saying that i should defenitly not go for a 4-stroke. I've heard that that is the way of the future and that 2-strokes will soon be banned in places because of their high polution.

dobent56

Jul 26, 2003
I think any two stroke'ban" is way off in the future if it happens at all.What we're saying is that if you pick a four stroke it should be a mellower one,like the DRZ 125/250,CRF 150 OR 230,KLX'S,etc.
The YZF/RMZ/KXF thumpers are not for beginners. Doug

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I figured I'd add my two cents to this thread since I feel some very bad advice has been given in the previous responses. First thing to clear up Do not even look at a TT-R225 it is an overweight undersuspended pig and quite possibly one of the worst bikes Yamaha has put out in years. Secondly if you are 5'10 you are simply too big for a KX/RM100. Dobent56 did give you some good leads but it is going to boil down to your budget and an honest assessment of what you see as your riding priorities. I agree that a YZ250F would not be an ideal learning bike. Is your budget such that you could consider a starter bike to ride for a year or so and then when ready to advance you can sell it off and upgrade? If so then I would suggest one of two paths the first being an XR250 or a KDX200 both of these bikes would give you ample performance for trail riding and be good learning bikes. The KDX can be made into a somewhat capable MX'er with some suspension mods. After a season or two on one of these bikes you might be better prepared to upgrade to a 4 stroke race bike and hit the track.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by Chili
Is your budget such that you could consider a starter bike to ride for a year or so and then when ready to advance you can sell it off and upgrade?

I highly suggest that path to any true beginner. I have seen quite a few who have had trouble on a bike that was too powerful for them and it scared them out of the sport.

The KDX 200 is quite a capable bike and a great beginner bike. Just this past weekend there was a long table top that all the 125's were trying to clear but having trouble. A guy on a KDX 200 had plenty of bike to do it so don't fall for the comments that a KDX200 is going to be "outgrown."

Ivan

d.u.g.

May 23, 2003
Good advice from Chili and Ivan.
Wow,I didn't realize the TTR-225 was such a pig! I rode the 250 and it wasn't bad,I still don't think it was as good as an XR250.I didn't give enough consideration to him being 5-10.
That XR250 is a great bike,maybe a little mellow for us experienced types.but lots of hop-ups available.Of corse the KDX200 is a classic.You guys that owned or own 'em speak so highly of the bike that I may have to go get one for a second bike!
Doug

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
If the intention is to ride/race MX in the near future.....I wouldn't waste my time with XR250s, KDX200s, or any of the playbikes listed at your age and height. Although the new 4 stroke 250s (well the YZ250f is the only one any of us could have ridden thus far) are greatly improved over the XR250, they still aren't unreasonably powerful.

I started on a Yamaha 250 two stroke when I was 12 and followed it with an RM125, so I'd say get the 250 4 stroke MX bike you want, use some common sense and be careful with it. Ride it on flat ground until you are comfortable with it. Take a riding lesson or two. Ride a gear higher to take the snap out of the engine especially if you are jumping the first few times. I think the YZ250f would also make a good trail bike (based on my very limited time on it). Just be prepared to do the maintenance and read/ask questions before you start wrenching on something.

You'll save yourself a lot of money and aggravation by not trying to modify bikes that weren't intended for your purpose. Personally, I don't think most of these playbikes are meant for jumping anyway and there are plenty of ways to hurt yourself on an inappropriate bike beyond horsepower.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
While I can see where you are coming from James I disagree.

For a true beginner I highly recommend starting on a slower bike and improving then moving up. Yes, some will progress faster than others but overall getting the right bike for the skill then buying a better bike later is the best option. That way you get a bike you can trully learn on and when you feel that the bike no longer meets your needs you can move to something else.

Most true beginners have an idea of what they want but end up going a different way. Too many have gotten a bike, dumped it in the sand on their first ride and then sold it b/c they were scared of it. Getting a bike like a KDX200 that is more appropriate for a true beginner will give the rider a chance to learn the mechanics of clutch, brake and shifting without the stiff penalty for error that a YZ250F or YZ250 would. Plus, the KDX 200 can cheaply be upgraded for more power and be as much fun to ride as any bike out there.

Those that take to a bigger MX bike and adapt well are more the exception than the rule IMO.

Ivan

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
My point was, at 12, I was a "true beginner" and the bike I bought from the guy who dumped it in the sand recently was a 250 2 stroke...not a 250 4 stroke. HE also had a baby on the way. And to clarify, we are talking about a YZ250F NOT a YZ250.

I am not saying you are wrong, but it really depends on the person. From my perspective, if I had it to do over, I would have still got the 250 2 stroke back when I was 12, I just wouldn't have waited until I was 31 to get out of the woods and try motocross.

Would a WR250F be a good compromise? They come in a rather detuned state stock. I would think that they would handle better, be lighter, and be better suited for jumping and modifying for MX than an XR, DRZ, or TTR 250.

Last edited:

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by James

Would a WR250F be a good compromise? They come in a rather detuned state stock. I would think that they would handle better, be lighter, and be better suited for jumping and modifying for MX than an XR, DRZ, or TTR 250.

Not for a true beginner in my opinion. It is a fair option but for a kid (he said he was 15) and a beginner I still think the KDX 200 would be a better option.

Now, if the kid has riding experience, knows how to shift and use the clutch then it is another story but I feel the KDX is a great beginner bike that is hard to outgrow. The maintenance and lifespan of the KDX's are a factor as well. Plus, when he turns 16 and decides he wants to drive more than ride the KDX will hold its value more.

He may jump on a YZ250F and be great out of the box and have no problems adapting, many do but that is the exception. However, without some riding experience behind him I would recommend the KDX200 (or the XR line - something reliable, safe and fun).

You can never start out on something too easy to ride but you certainly can start out on something too hard and too powerful. I'd rather err on the safety side.

Ivan

BenJamieMike

Jul 25, 2003
Well, I was thinking, I'm still saving up and have quite a ways to go, so why don't I go for something like a used XR or KDX. This way while I ride and get experience on this bike (just get comfortable, no racing or jumping), I'll still be saving, and maybe in a year I'll sell it for close to what I paid for it and put the money together to buy something like a YZ250F.

How does that sound?

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by BenJamieMike
Well, I was thinking, I'm still saving up and have quite a ways to go, so why don't I go for something like a used XR or KDX. This way while I ride and get experience on this bike (just get comfortable, no racing or jumping), I'll still be saving, and maybe in a year I'll sell it for close to what I paid for it and put the money together to buy something like a YZ250F.

How does that sound?

I'd say that is a great decision....probably the best decision you could make. Let us know how its goes. :thumb:

d.u.g.

May 23, 2003
I like that idea too.It would be good to take a very experienced rider/mechanic with you to ensure you buy one well cared for.
That's one of the beauties of bikes like the KDX's.XR's,etc. The playbikes do very well come resale time,while sadly our "racers" don't,especially two strokes.
For a new one the WR idea is a good one.I don't know if the 250 's come "corked up" like the 400/426/450 's did/do.
If so,and left in the restrictive state of tunr,that could be a really good choice.
I don't think the play bikes should be under estimated,either.I mean me on my woods ready 03 RM250 Rodney Smith look alike,vs.Jeff Fredette on a KDX,Scott Summers on a CRF230.I'd get dusted SO bad! Doug

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by BenJamieMike

How does that sound?

That sounds like a very mature and good decision. After you get used to riding you'll quickly learn which type of riding you'll want to do more of and that will narrow your next search down.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Ivan

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by d.u.g.
I mean me on my woods ready 03 RM250 Rodney Smith look alike,vs.Jeff Fredette on a KDX,Scott Summers on a CRF230.I'd get dusted SO bad! Doug

Me too but that would only be for a few seconds b/c they are so fast I wouldn't be able to keep up with their dust!!

Ivan

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom