keith_nlrider

May 30, 2008
1) your physical size %foot 6 150 pounds
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?moderate
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????trails a bit of track etc
4) Do you have any riding experience?yes
5) Do you think you will race ?not sure
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?only very minor things
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?no preferance but no old bikes
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?honda,yamaha,suzuki,kawasaki,ktm
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?what ever it takes for a good bike
10) Do you live in California?no
11) Your age?14
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
Hi I am looking for a new bike down the road. I like the crf 250r but im afraid it will be to much maintenince. Does anyone have any recomendations for a bike. Thanks ...........Please help

geoffro

Nov 16, 2007
best of both worlds

Keith,I am just going to give you my opinion from 26 years of riding and 33 bikes down the line.(some may agree,some not)
Seeing that you want to do a bit of both,whatever you get will have to be modified slightly for mx or enduro.Realising this you will neither have a full MX weapon or a offroad weapon,but can have LOADS of fun anyway.My choices are:
1)KDX 200,pipe,reeds,heavier springs for jumps(maybe revalve)and have a bike for ten years(oldish technology but the best "bang for your buck")
2)RM/YZ 250 2t,flywheel weight,revalve suspension for happy meduim between offroad and jumps
3)Any 250f 4 stroke with similar "offroad mods" as RM/YZ.
Slightly more technical maintenance withchecking valves etc.
Just a final thought:remember the more you adjust for enduro the more you lose on the track and visa versa,happy riding :nod:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
keith_nlrider said:
is the crf 250f a race bike or trail or everything
far as I know, it doesn't exist. There's a CRF250R or CRF250X, but no CRF250F, unless they still make an XR250 and renamed it like the little XRs

keith_nlrider

May 30, 2008
ok thank you
Any othe recomendations for a bike that wonr give me problems or would a 250r be good. I ride lots of trails and a bit of tracks.
Thanks please reply

Apr 30, 2007
XRpredator said:
far as I know, it doesn't exist. There's a CRF250R or CRF250X, but no CRF250F, unless they still make an XR250 and renamed it like the little XRs

Pred, didn't they make one for one or two years? I could be wrong...but I think they made one in 2003?

Apr 30, 2007
Well it depends on your definition of maintenence...if changing the oil is a lot of maintence, then you're in for a bad time...if you have a good set of tools, are willing to learn, and a repair manual, you should do just fine.

Apr 30, 2007
I don't know exactly how often you have to check valves etc.

The CRF 250 R is a race bike.

The CRF 250 F is a trail bike.

Apr 30, 2007
A simple google search will answer a lot of these questions for you actually. Just make sure and read everything you find with a grain of salt. Check more than one resource to make sure that the information you're reading is accurate. This is especially true for forums...where someone biased might post a poor report of a bike without having any previous experience on it.

I am not positive, but I believe the CRF 250 F was made in 2003, and one other year (that I cannot remember). I would suggest going into a Honda dealer, and asking them to look it up for you.

I believe that the 250F model has a lower maintenence schedule than the 250R (logically speaking). However I haven't heard much about it. I have heard quite a bit, though, about the 250R's having some pretty particular needs. I have never been on the 250 F or X model, but have been through the thick and thin with a friend who has the CRF 250R model...she hasn't had the greatest experience with it maintenance-wise.

I'd also suggest that you pick up a newer model (2000-2003) Honda XR 250 if you can't find the CRF 250 F. They are not that great on a track, as the suspension can be a little soft. On the trails, they really shine! The power is very predictable and steady, and it is fantastic for learning on. Also, once you do learn, it will still have enough power to keep you interested. They are really fun out in the gravel pits and woods!

Maintainence is also going to be super low on this bike. You fill it with gas, check and change the oil regularly, and that will pretty much be it. They are extremely reliable as long as you give them a little care.

Another good idea, if you haven't done so already, is to go to the dealer and sit on the bikes, and ask as many questions as you possibly can.

Hope this answers a few more of your questions!

keith_nlrider

May 30, 2008
ok thank you I rather a crf I do not really like the xr thanks for ally your help. I dont plan on getting a bike till I stop growing but this will help my decision in the future thanks.

Top Bottom