pharris1992

Apr 12, 2008
Hey everyone. I'm totally new to this sport, and although i've done tons and tons of research I still have several questions. I'll get this thing done with first.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 5',10" 150lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? Pretty agressive
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? mostly woods and trails
4) Do you have any riding experience? no
5) Do you think you will race ? no
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? yes, and i'll learn how to fix everything
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? not sure whats gonna be better
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? will be buying used
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? $900-$1100 is my target range, i know thats not a lot though.
10) Do you live in California? nope, new york
11) Your age? 15
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion... nothing that i can think of

so i'm fifteen right now, and I'm going to be getting a dirt bike in a month or two. When i'm 16 (4 more months!!!!) i'm going to get my license then motorcycle license. Sooooo... heres the deal: I need a bike that I can use for aggressive trail riding now, and also make street legal in the near future. I've been thinking a 250 2-stroke, but i would love to hear what everyone thinks. (and i've read a ton about how the 250 can be a beast to learn on, but i'm not worried about it, I'd way rather have the power later on.) and along with that i just dont have the money to buy another bike later on. What i get now will be what i have for a while.

very sorry about the long post.

Any help is very appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!

--Preston

atkkid250

Uhhh...
Mar 18, 2008
laws

not sure on the laws in new york, but i know that in most states you can't register a 2 stroke as a road bike, because of the "emissions" #$&**Y@^$ hippies. any way, im thinking a used wr 450 or something, or an xr 250, which all have street legal kits available and are all 4 strokes. if it is legal to ride 2 strokes, then im moving to new york, and i would recommend maybe a kdx 220 just my 2 cents anyway

pharris1992

Apr 12, 2008
okay. I have no idea about registering two strokes... anyone else know about new york??? i couldnt find anything on the dmv's website. And since thats a minor issue, then put it to the side. If i didnt care at all about the road, and was only going to ride off-road then what you you recomend??

thanks again!!!

pharris1992

Apr 12, 2008
Sorry to be redundant everyone, but i've decided to just totally ditch the street legal thing. I'll just have to save and get a road bike when the time comes.

Hope this helps

Thanks guys!!!!

atkkid250

Uhhh...
Mar 18, 2008
allright

allright, judging by your size, and how much you've got to spend, a used 125 2 stroke of some kind, look for a lateer nineties or newer yz 125, or a cr 125, or a kx 125 in your price range a 125 ktm sx would be nice but they are $$, hope this helps. >pat

pharris1992

Apr 12, 2008
okay... thanks!!!

stupid question maybe, but where's a good place to look for used bikes??? not a very big mx scene around here

Thanks again!!!

atkkid250

Uhhh...
Mar 18, 2008
?

try a website like craigslist, or unclehenrys.com, but uncles is mostly maine i suppose. look in the local papaers. and drive around a lot there are ussually a couple with signs out on the road

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom