What size tires will fit Honda XR 50-100

cinco in W MI

Mar 10, 2006
I have a Honda XR 50 for my son. He magicly grew over the winter and now looks too big for the bike. It has the stock tires still, which I think are 12". What size tires can I go up to? Are the the same size or different? I saw someone selling a 14" front and 17" rear for this bike. I was looking into just getting a 80, but that would only fit for a year maybe and I hate to go through getting another al over again. I also want to keep the "50" because it has a larger engine and a 5 speed transmission with clutch and front brakes. ... At the same time, I have located a 100, that is slightly too big. I could get bigger wheels for the 50, the swap those to the 100 in a year, then put the stock 100 wheels back on later. So what might fit for that? Are the hubs going to match up? Is this possibel or I am dreaming?

I might instead just pick up an 80 and forget the 50, and take the 100 and put street tires on it and ride the thing myself! :debil:
Ideas, thoughts, etc. ?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
So is this a modified Honda or a knock-off bike? I couldn't figure it out from your description. Also typically the front tire is large than the rear. It's also been my experience that 14" would be the largest front or rear you would put on a pit bike sized bike.

Now as far as the other bikes..... What kind of 80 and what kind of 100? Yes it matters because a TTR80 is way smaller than a YZ80 and a KX100 is quite a bit larger than a XR100.

cinco in W MI

Mar 10, 2006
Sorry, in my ramblings of confusion I guess I was leaving a lot off. It is a Honda XR 50r. I will stick with all real honda xr when moving from 50 to 80 to 100. I went out and measured and it has 10" wheels on it now. The true engine size is unknown to me. It had been modified before I bought it, but I was told it has a 125 convesion kit. I have looked over the whole thing and can not find a CC mark on it. It has a Loncin 5 speed trans, with a clutch. It will take me at 190 lbs to 28mph, with a gps strapped to the handle bars. I had the throttle limiter screwed down for about 2 months to let the boy get used to riding it and let it out a little each ride over a few weeks.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
OK so if the frame identification says "HONDA" then your chassis is Honda but the engine is very likely a complete swap not a parts build up on a stock Honda. It's very common as swapping in one of these engines in is quick, inexpensive and less hassle than doing all the various performance hop-ups on a stocker.

If you want to look at a fork swap then you will have more tire options than with the stock Honda fork. You will also need to upgrade the rear suspension to keep things in balance. When you start looking at the numbers I would suggest selling the current bike and moving to something larger.

Top Bottom