c00ld00d

Mar 12, 2006
OK, I'm looking for some advice. My wife would like to get a bike, and I'm stuggling with what to get her. She's a new rider, and is about 5' tall. In addition, she has some arthritis problems that hinder her hand strength.

What I'm thinking about is either the Kawasaki KLX 110 (has automatic clutch), the Yamaha TT-R90 (has electric start and automatic clutch) or the Yamaha TT-R125E (has electric start). The 125 fits her body size better, but it's 40+ pounds heavier than both of the other bikes. Siting on the 90 seems OK, while the 110 looks a bit small, even though they the two measure close to the same dimensions.

My worries as a husband go along these lines: if we go with the 125, she may not be able to work the clutch, may not be able to lift it, and may end up not enjoying it at all. On the other hand, if we get either of the other two bikes, they may work great while she's learning, but she may be ready for a bigger one before the year is over.

SO, does anybody have any recommendations? Does your wife/daughter/girlfriend ride any of these bikes?

Also, does anyone know of any aftermarket products that would aide the clutch? I know of EasyClutch, but that may not be enough.

Anyway, TIA for any help!

Brian (and Jana)

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Honda CRF100F. The clutch pull should be light enough for her to operate it. Make sure to keep the cable and lever pivot well lubed. If might be possible to adapt an aftermarket clutch lever from works connection with a sealed bearing pivot to the bike to help keep the pull. I'd also adjust the cable for more play so the lever is closer to the handlebar; that way she'll have an easier time pulling it. Does recluse or revlock make auto clutches for any of the smaller play bikes?

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Take her to look at a TTR-125. lay the bike on the ground and have her pick it up. Have her work the clutch. If she thinks she can handle it, go for it. The last thing you want to do is get her something she dosent want, or she'll never want to ride it.

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
what about the CRF150F its a 4 stroke and seems easy enough to handle. but if she doesnt think she can handle the 150F then i'd go for the CRF100F. good luck with the decision.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I would NOT get a TTR90 or KLX/DRZ110 for an adult. The TTR sounds heavy, but they aren't that bad. If she really wants to ride it won't take her long to learn how to work the clutch. If she can drive, she should be able to manage it. The clutch pull on the TTR is way easy, too, but places out there might just make an auto clutch for it (Berg Racing makes 'em for minis, Rekluse for the big bikes, not sure about the mid-sized)

We all know that women somehow manage to drive, apply mascara, eat breakfast, and curl their hair all at the same time, so riding a dirt bike with a clutch is cake after that. ;)

c00ld00d

Mar 12, 2006
Thanks to all those who have replied.

Masterphil, I'm going to start with your advice to see if she can lift the 125. I'm leaning heavily toward this bike, with the possibility of an aftermarket auto-clutch at some point.

I'm staying way from the CRF's for 2 reasons: about $300-$500 difference in base price, and they come with neither the electric start or the auto transmission, two key ingrediants for her.

Just a bit of background: many people thing that 'arthritis' is something that only older people get. My wife is 26 and has had it since she was 14. It's not just stiff joints, its painfull swelling and shooting pains. So, anything that can be done to reduce the stress on fingers (clutch) and hips (kickstart) will make this a much more enjoyable experience for her. It's really cool, because she is SO excited to be getting a bike!!!

Aside from the auto-clutch solutions out there, does anybody know of a hydralic-pull clutch setup that could be used? I've used Easy-Clutch mechanical mechenisms before. Is there others available?

Thanks,

Brian

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
You might be able to adapt a hydraulic clutch from a GasGas to one of those bikes, but it would take some work. If you go for the hydraulic clutch, get the one used on GasGas bikes. The pull is way lighter than the magura unit used on KTMs.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Hebo and Magura make hydraulic clutches.

Has she tried out the pull on the TTR yet? I've found it to be very light, but then my arthritis is injury induced.

c00ld00d

Mar 12, 2006
For those interested, I've found another site that may be helpful along these lines....

The AMA (American Motorcyclist Assoc.) web sie has a section for disabled riders that links to lots of adaptive devices. Most are for street bikes, but it's a good place to start looking.

Brian

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Masterphil said:
Take her to look at a TTR-125. lay the bike on the ground and have her pick it up. Have her work the clutch. If she thinks she can handle it, go for it. The last thing you want to do is get her something she dosent want, or she'll never want to ride it.

I agree! I have a TTR125LE, with e-start, etc...I didn't realize that it was that heavy, but it has a great center of gravity, which makes picking it up a breeze.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
We have two TTR' 125'ss, one with Estart one without. One is a small wheel version one is regular size wheel(?). My wife can ride them both but without doubt will chose the small wheel estart every time.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Oh yeah I forgot to add that mine's a big wheel...but I still love it!

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
My BETTER half is 5'2" and no pounds " ;) " she started on a XR100 ( her sister too( 5'4")) she now has a KLX125 3 years later. She loves it but I want an KLX125L for her :ohmy: Must be a boy thing :coocoo:

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
i added avs shorty levers (brake and clutch) to my wife's ttr125le and it greatly improved ease of use for her. they are adjustable in pull so i took out most of the clutch freeplay so it engages closer to the grip (more leverage). even my 11-year old is riding this bike with one finger on the clutch now.

as for the weight of the ttr125 - as with many things, technique makes a big difference over just muscling the thing up. show her how to properly lift the bike and she should do fine with the ttr125.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom