windfall

Trials Paddler
May 1, 2003
Can someone explain why KTM is getting such good press lately? Also, why are KTM riders so pro-KTM compared to most other brands' riders?

Is it handling, engine response, dealer experience?

I realize this sounds like trolling, but I'm just looking for what people like about the brand/bikes.

woodsracer369

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 3, 2004
Windfall,
I can not speak for everyone but as a person that has owned every brand (except Suz) the reason I have gone to KTM is due to the fact that they have a specific bike to fit my needs. With evrything else I had bought I had to do extensive modifications to get the bike to suit my prefernces and governement mandadted rules/regs. I ride offroad in varied conditions. KTM makes the only bike that fits my needs.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
woodsracer369 said:
Windfall,
I can not speak for everyone but as a person that has owned every brand (except Suz) the reason I have gone to KTM is due to the fact that they have a specific bike to fit my needs. With evrything else I had bought I had to do extensive modifications to get the bike to suit my prefernces and governement mandadted rules/regs. I ride offroad in varied conditions. KTM makes the only bike that fits my needs.

KTM makes a bike that fits just about everybodies needs. And they make a quality product.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Most bang for the buck, IMHO. I have a '99 (that we bought new) that has seen no down time for failures, and that's after 7 years of trail riding, harescrambles, and enduro abuse. Tires, brake pads, and oil changes are the major expenses. I'm ready to buy a new bike, but it's so hard to justify it when this one runs so well!

Quality components, reliability, DURABILITY, great performance--and the bikes are QUIET as well. That's why KTM people are fanatics.
KTM puts as much attention to performance and quality on every single product line, from the 65SX up to the 950 Adventure. Many other companies put their quality components on their MX race bikes, and leave the 10+ year old technology for the "play" bikes and enduro bikes.

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
windfall said:
Can someone explain why KTM is getting such good press lately? Also, why are KTM riders so pro-KTM compared to most other brands' riders?

Is it handling, engine response, dealer experience?

I realize this sounds like trolling, but I'm just looking for what people like about the brand/bikes.

I find the gasgas rider's are just as "pro gasgas" as ktm rider's are "pro ktm". Makes for interesting conversations... :-)

jeff

windfall

Trials Paddler
May 1, 2003
Thanks for the resposes, everyone. I passed up an opportunity to get a deal on a 2001 300EXC a year or so ago based on a bad exerience with a '92 and a friend's worse experience with a similar vintage.

Sounds like I may have screwed up (again) :bang:

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Night and day difference between those year bikes. 1998-1999 was when KTM really started coming into their own. Keep looking, there's lots of nice recent model bikes for sale out there.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
LoriKTM said:
Night and day difference between those year bikes. 1998-1999 was when KTM really started coming into their own. Keep looking, there's lots of nice recent model bikes for sale out there.

Really? The newer KTMs are very nice, and many say the 06 have made a huge upgrade in handling, I have not rode one so I don't know. My 03 handles fine for me and like all KTMs and Huskys I've been around, it is very well built. But compared to the compitition at the time, I still believe my 89 KTM EXC was as good or better bike for its day. Of course that is back when KTMs still had rear linkage.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
I sold it. I liked the bike just fine, but at 200lbs, I should have bought the 250 in the first place. It is a decision I'm 100% happy I made.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
Yeah, I was just curious because I remember chatting with you when you switched from the 426 to the 125 I thought it was a pretty drastic change, I'm sure the 250 suits you much better at your size.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Most people that ride Euro bikes (KTM, GasGas, Husaberg, Husqvarna, etc) are VERY happy with their bikes because they've realized how great the bikes are. I'm the same way with my GasGas. I can't believe how good it works everywhere and plan on buying another when I can afford it.

dillbree

Apr 8, 2006
It's the attention to detail the bike have.
I have a 300 exc and i love seeing the look on my mates faces when they hop off it and realise how much their WR feels like a tractor.....

gardner154

May 9, 2006
I love KTMs because their bikes are just amazing when their stock. You don't have to put tons of money into an exhaust like other bikes to get a great amount of power. That and their motors run awesome even 5+ years down the road, shoot my 2005 450 still runs as good as the day I bought it and its been exactly 1 year since I got the bike, and its been ridden like no other.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
As a lifetime Honda only person you could say I was a little bias! Yet based on a couple folks from this board I went and looked at the KTMs. The first time I sat on one and hit the button I knew it was for me. Thats the bike I bought and still have.
I think my next one will be a EXC 450 dual sport.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
The late model forks don't appear to eat fork seals as bad as the earlier 43mm forks.

But yes, simply put, you buy a ktm, slap some handguards on it, and you go racing...
you don't have to monkey arround trying bolt a bunch of stuff onto it like a jap bike.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Zerotact said:
But yes, simply put, you buy a ktm, slap some handguards on it, and you go racing...
you don't have to monkey arround trying bolt a bunch of stuff onto it like a jap bike.

Hmmmmm......

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=135244

Zerotact said:
I went Emig racing on my '06 200 XC. They took care of my triple clamps, handguards, suspension, and steering dampner. The bike is way more forgiving and easier to ride now. It just tracks were ever I point it and I don't have to fight to keep the handelbars from yanking out of my hands when I hit something wrong.

I also have a set up bulletproofdesigns radiator guards, because there simply isn't a stronger guard. www.bulletproofdesigns.com

Calm down Zerotact, I'm not picking on you ! Was just researching KTM brakes and ran across these two threads- seems like you did replace quite a few parts. Made me chuckle.

Here's what "SpeedyManiac" suggested:
SpeedyManiac said:
Here's what I would get:
1) Armor for your bike: Eline carbon fiber pipe guard, heavy duty aluminum skid plate, barkbusters (I'd probably go with the Fastway FIT system), radiator guards (bulletproof designs makes SWEET billet ones) and case saver (EE makes a nice one).
2) Suspension revalve by a reputable shop for your weight/riding level.
3) Pro-Taper Taperwall handlebars (personal preference thing).
4) Softer seat (KTMs are brutal).
5) Scotts Steering Stabilizer.

I dunno....sounds like what I'd do to a KX250...

I'm a new KTM owner (04 200sx) after nothing but Hondas, Yamaha, and Kawasaki for the past 30 years. I've had my KTM for just over 2 weeks and am finally getting it sorted out for me (used bike stuff). My observations are:

1) KTM does some neat stuff like: sparkplug boot, interchangeable head inserts, adjustable steering stops, easy access carb, really easy air filter, easy shock access, large handlebars, adjustable bar mounts, low-slung gas tank, etc. But they also do some "HUH??" things like those Brembo brakes, the too-small front brake guide on the number plate that lets the $60 cable kink, 11 mm bolt heads, and leaky seals (countershaft). Most of the weird things are just a learning process, but when you come off of Japanese bikes, there are definitely some "different" things.

2) Suspension- after reading zillions of posts here and on KTMTalk before I bought my 200sx, I was prepared for the worst. Maybe I'm just not that critical, but honestly, I was surprised at how well the suspension works. I've totally forgotten about the rear shock. I did increase the fork compression 3 clicks and stiffen the rebound 4 clicks from where it was set (can't remember the actual setting right now, though), but after I did that, all was well and the forks DID respond well to the changes. Coming off the KX125, I'm now overjumping the same tabletops I could barely clear on the KX and the KTM handles the resulting flat-landing far better than I thought it would.

3) Handling- likewise, I'd read about how the KTM likes to turn from the "middle of the bike", but I haven't noticed much difference. I'm really more of a rear-wheel turner anyway, so the KTM seems just fine to me. It doesn't hold the inside line quite as well as my KX125, but a) it's about 1" taller and b) I'm going much faster, c) it ain't bad. What I do like about the KTM is the light feeling. I was out in the yard (we have a BIG yard) doing slow feet-up full-lock Figure 8's and felt totally comfortable. I was also practicing wheelies and stoppies and managed to loop the bike a few times, but had no trouble hanging on and swinging it around- I sure can't do that on my KDX (and the KX125 doesn't do low-speed wheelies, period!). I'm also not getting headshake or swapping and have had the bike up to well over 60 mph (it came desert geared 14/44, I've since dropped back to stock 14/47).So, handling-wise, I'm totally comfortable with the KTM and was comfortable right from the first ride. If anything, the KTM feels more stable than my KX.

4) Reliability- I don't know yet. I'll check back in a year.

5) Of course, I've put a few aftermarket parts on, too. The bike came with a ProCircuit pipe, pipe guard, and WP frame guards. I've added KTM radiator guards, KTM skip plate, ASV levers, changed the gearing, and new Twin Air filters. After a few months, if I still like the bike, I plan on dropping the suspension 1" (I'm short!) and adding some MX roost guards. I'll probably mount the WER off my KDX on the KTM just because I have it.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
NM_KDX200 said:
..."HUH??" things like those Brembo brakes, the too-small front brake guide on the number plate that lets the $60 cable kink...and leaky seals (countershaft).
I love the breaks. By far the strongest stock brakes on any dirtbike I've ever ridden. I'm not sure what you're talking about on the front brake guide, I don't have any problems with mine. Make sure your chain isin't too tight, otherwise you'll either break your chain, cases, or bend your countershaft.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Masterphil said:
I'm not sure what you're talking about on the front brake guide, I don't have any problems with mine. Make sure your chain isin't too tight, otherwise you'll either break your chain, cases, or bend your countershaft.

When I bought the bike, the cable had "folded" up between the two cable guides. When the front suspension compressed, instead of running up thru the number plate guide, the cable buckled and snagged on the front tire. Whether this was due to a crash that cracked the black plastic sleeve and then allowed it to kink or whether it kinked and then broke the sleeve, I don't know. I asked this question on KTMTalk and several guys knew exactly what I was talking about. Over there, "Bleeding Brakes" is a sticky- lots and lots of comments on mushy brakes. I've got mine working good now (had to install that new hose, after all) and no complains except that there were some definite tricks to bleeding them. I had an airlock in the MC that wouldn't let me back-bleed, until I figured out to let the adjustert out all the way. Then all was well, esp. after I compressed the cylinders and then re-pumped them from the MC. Took me 2/3 of a day the first time, I could probably do it in 30 minutes now.

I'd already read up on the chain and that was the first thing I adjusted. Took the shock out, lined up the countershaft, swingarm bolt, and rear axle (this would be the tightest point) then gave the chain 3/4" of slack. Put the shock back on and measured the slack at rest.

Anyway, enough of this- I'm going riding!
:ride:

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
NM_KDX200 said:
Calm down Zerotact, I'm not picking on you ! Was just researching KTM brakes and ran across these two threads- seems like you did replace quite a few parts. Made me chuckle.

Well that's what I ended up doing to my bike. I've been fortunate enough to Be able to have all the extra work doen to my bike. But in stock form The KTM is pretty race read short of handguards..

Avena Quaker

Dec 9, 2004
windfall said:
but I'm just looking for what people like about the brand/bikes.
For me, they just happen to be the only brand here that has a reputable dealer network and build off-road ready 2-stroke machines. Nothing else, Im of the opinion that no brand of bikes has anything above the others. KTM's for example lack a a lot of the front suspension, which is great in the japanese bikes, and the other way around, KTM put stuff like hydralic clutch and so on...

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Zerotact said:
But in stock form The KTM is pretty race read short of handguards..

Did you read the little "test" on Shane Watt's bike in Dirt Rider? The tester came back and commented on the "normal-ness" of the suspension and Shane said "That's because it just came out of the crate this morning, mate!". :) And he WAS getting ready to race it- in a recent Cycle News, there's Shane right there in the first corner on that same 200 pretty-much-stock XC-W.

I'd like to drop my suspension 1", but otherwise, the more I ride the bike, the more I like it.

Crash217

May 4, 2005
Shane has always ridden his bikes basically right out of the box as far as suspension goes. I remember in 99 I pulled up next to him to wish him a good ride at a national h.s. looked down at his bike then looked down at mine. Identical 125 exc's other than a couple little nic-nac bolt ons!

Top Bottom