firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
This was touched on another board but I'd like to revisit it.

What are some good excercises you can do at home, without weights? I can't afford to join a gym and use fancy weights and equipment, but would like to do something about my wimpy spaghetti arms. :confused: Legs too but arms/shoulders are my main concern.

Bbbom, I know you had a couple--is there a website with that kind of stuff on it?

Also, if I were to buy some hand weights, what are the most useful sizes?

gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
Most women that do not lift weights for bodybuilding use 5 & 10 lb weights for toning (you can get an adjustable set to increase or decrease weight).

If you don't want to buy a set of dumbbells you can also use gallon jugs of water to start. What you can do with them depends on how creative you are.

A set of dumbbells can be used to do a good variety of exercises which can cover almost every muscle group in the body. To find exercises do a search on the internet or just go down to the drug store and look through the bodybuilding magazines in the rack. You can usually pick up an exercise routine out of at least one issue. If they use a barbell or a machine for an exercise you can usually modify the exercise to work with dumbbells.

MudnRocks

Apr 15, 2003
FC22 there is some good info in here and also KTM or TTalk under a physical fitness headings. There is also great info on nutrition. I read about motocrosstrainer.com from one of these sites and started a workout program geared for me but from that advice. Magazines are also good sources, insperational if nothing else.

I have a 5 and 10lb set of hand held weights, they are the solid kind, but they work fine for me. I don't think they were real expensive and they have that rubber surface. You can do push ups,( I started on a low surface, placing my hands on my bed not directly on the ground and definately stayed off the knees) you can do pull ups, you can do dips, hand boxing moves is great for the shoulders, you can do wall exercises ect... Remember you want to do everything with control and good body position to get the max benefit and not do any damage.

Hope this helps, have fun.
Kimberly

Pegasus

~SPONSOR~
Jan 31, 2001
FC ...You're gonna laugh but that Suzanne Sommers thigh master thingie is pretty slick..You can do all kinds of arm exercises with it. Its resistance work that tones and works shoulders and arms. Easy to do watching TV or reading on the computer .Also push ups even the girlie ones are good strengthening, squats (back flat on a wall )are good for keeping quads strong.Even doing 8 - 10 of each a day help then increase it as you feel..

Hand weghts I like 5's & 8's..You can use one of those big exercise balls for a bench plus other good stuff.

I find just keeping up with a few bacics and keeping aerobically fit by walking,hiking or bike ride a few times a week make a huge dif in stamina and the art of picking up my bike numerous times :-)

altagirl

~SPONSOR~
Mar 17, 2003
Originally posted by Pegasus
squats (back flat on a wall )are good for keeping quads strong.Even doing 8 - 10 of each a day help then increase it as you feel..

They had me doing squats with the exercise ball between my back and the wall for PT after my last knee surgery - it makes it such a nice smooth motion with the ball rolling - feels like using a smith machine (the barbell that slides up and down on rails) at the gym.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Run. It's free and is about the best cross-training you can do for motorcycling. Also, don't forget push-ups, pull-ups, chin-ups and ab work.

All are free and will get you in GREAT shape.

Noseat

Jun 23, 2003
FC22 I found the best workout is to ride, either your mountain bike on trails or your KTM. Mountain biking is great for your balance and it also teaches you to stand up and corner with almost the same technique you use on your m/c. If that's not possible try hiking for you legs and a set of 10lb rubber coated weights to work out your upper body. I think chin ups work better for building strength in you upper body. Pushup seem to hurt my lower back so I don't do many of those anymore.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Rubber tubing is a great replacement for weights. When I was bodybuilding, I used to play with tubing on days when I wanted to do a light workout and focus on flexibility and range of motion. You would be surprised at what you can do with just your body weight... push-ups, chin-ups, dips, lunges, etc. I could ramble on and on and on... but I'll spare everyone's eyes. :confused: If you'd like I could give you a run down via email of the various exercises we did for PT in the military. I went away burning everytime. ;)

Last edited:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Thanks guys. I've been mountain biking a little, mostly on gravel paths here in the city. My workout WAS riding the bike but I haven't ridden much in the heat wave over the last couple of weeks. It is soooooo hot here.

Anyway, I am going to start putting together a routine both for looks and for strength.

As for running, I despise it and it hurts my knee. The only time I really liked it was when I had a dog and took him running with me.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I hate running too, but that didn't stop me from running a marathon! It's a necessary evil. If your knees hurt try a softer surface (high school track or dirt path) and some proper running shoes.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by RV6junkie
It's a necessary evil. .

I beg to differ. There are MANY other ways to increase cardio and leg strength. Running is evil, but not necessary.

altagirl

~SPONSOR~
Mar 17, 2003
I agree. My orthopedic surgeon encouraged me to give up running becase there are so many other good ways to work out for general fitness and running is so hard on the knees (yes, some surfaces are better than others, but it's still high impact compared to cycling or an elliptical trainer or something like that.) He basically said that if I loved doing it or something - go for it, but if I'm just continuing to trash my knees in order to stay in shape, I should consider other approaches.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Like dirty~d said, pushups, pullups, dips...........they will all help build strength and don't cost anything at all (except some good sweat).

Check out this website for some interesting information (it's humourous but has some decent info):

http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html

You can use lots of different household items for building strength but be sure to search the web or fitness mags for proper form.

MTB, is by far my preferred method of training when the dirtbike is out of the question but with the heat & time constraints right now I've gone back into the office gym (yes we are very spoiled) and started lifting again.

As with any workout/fitness routine, you have to find something that you enjoy doing or it won't work. I like lifting weights when the weather is less than conducive to riding but on a nice day I gotta be outside so the MTB wins.

Are you looking for a training program or just some ideas of excersizes to work on?

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by bbbom
Are you looking for a training program or just some ideas of excersizes to work on?

Both. I have been missing working out, and Lisa's (or was it Lori T.'s?) suggestion about upper body strength got me motivated again. I was mentioning my dislike of gyms due to all the costs, and someone recommended one out in the valley that is only $18/month and billed monthly, no direct pay and no contracts. I may do that but it's hard with no workout partner.

As soon as it cools down some more, I want to mountain bike some more. Keith and I have gone a couple of times (couple of weeks ago we rode from GU clear down to SFCC and up the trail along the cliffs above the river and back--what a long ride!) and I really enjoy it but I SOOOO hate this heat.

You and I should go too, Lori, you just have to promise to be nice to me. And I need a helmet for actual trail riding, but I haven't found one I like yet. Compared to motorcycle helmets, bike helmets look SOOO lame.

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
I love running, even tho it seems like I've damaged myself more running trails than dirtbiking - am currently nursing a big hematoma on my shin from Saturday's trail run fall-hit-my-shin-on-a-sharp-rock. And its my weight bearing exercise to help the bones stay strong - however, I've run with people who didn't like it or whose knees couldn't take it and you know, if its not fun, don't force yourself - there're other exercises you can do.

"Arnica gel" is my new miracle treatment for bruises...seems to work best on ones that aren't too deep in the muscle, shin bones are perfect, have been putting it on 3x a day and bruising is way less than I'd expected. Too bad I wasn't wearing my motorcycle shin guards!

Yeah, bicycle helmets seem entirely inadequate after mc's, I've seen some that actually have chin guards, look like lighter weight dirt bike helmets. Anyone know anything about them?
-Susan
BBR230

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Like I told my boss when he was making fun of me in my lame'o bicycle helmet (have yet to see one that looks cool) "I'd look a lot lamer if I crashed without it." Susan, my son had one of the full face bicycle helmets and it worked well until he outgrew it. I've never used one of those because they look too hot & heavy but I've seen several of the downhillers that frequent Beacon using them. Are you thinking of using one for trail running? ;)

You definitely need some type of helmet to ride Beacon Hill area even if you avoid the downhill course. Liberty Lake is a great trail too, Upriver Drive, the Hiawatha Trail (easy ride but with cool tunnels one of them 1.8 miles long and great train trestles) - there are many many places for MTB here.

Let me know when you want to go. I haven't been out since last week because I've been riding my streetbike to work & haven't figured out how to haul my MTB on it yet. The roads from my office to the trail are really crappy for the MTB and it takes about 30 minutes on the bike each way so there goes lunch. Wish I could find a place to store my bike over by the Hill. :think:

Anyways, let me know when you want to join me, maybe one morning on the weekend? Pat wants to go too so I'll take it easy on both of you. Now if Randi goes we are all in trouble. :eek:

I know I've come across some good at home workouts, I'll have to look through the library at the office.

What I used to do to get ready for volleyball was to workout everyday possible doing as a minimum:

10 minutes of cardio to warm up (jogging on a minitramp picked up cheap from a yardsale works or jumping rope on a pliable surface think wood or grass not concrete)

3 sets of pushups

3 sets of dips (you can use a chair to put your hands on behind your back with your feet out in front, like you are going to sit down using your arms & not your legs)

3 sets of chinups if you have a bar somewhere to use

3 sets of lunges, you will feel a burn even without added weight

3 sets of various situps/leglifts in a huge superset

3 sets of supermans (hyperextensions on the floor)

I did as many in each set as I could, it helps to keep track of your max each time to keep motivated. If you can do more cardio then by all means do it. Most of these excersizes get easier with practice so if you can only do a couple to start out or not any (chinups or dips probably) you can work up to them by using modified movements. Like chinups, if you can't pull yourself up, use a lower bar and standing on a chair use your legs to assist your arms. Just make sure you are letting your arms do as much as they can.

The gym in the valley is that Stroh's? It's a good gym and I think they still give you a trainer for free the first few times. They have the Nautilus machines there too which are very beginner friendly, especially if you aren't sure how to do the movements using free weights. I prefer freeweights because they help with balance but machines are easier to get the hang of and a good place to start.

Another option, but it's kinda spendy - a friend of mine here at the office is doing the Power 90 from www.beachbody.com with her husband. She is a little older than me and outa shape. They've been doing the program for about a month and she said she feels much stronger. She couldn't do the pushups at first & now she's cranking them out.

That might be a good way to go too.

Last edited:

altagirl

~SPONSOR~
Mar 17, 2003
I have one of these for XC:
GiroE2yelblSmall.jpg

Nice and light, well ventilated, etc.

And one of these for when I'm riding anything where I really think there's a risk of a good wreck:

Bellistic-gun((US_EU).jpg

Ventilated, but nearly as hot as wearing a motorcycle helmet, just lighter.

Giro does make a model called the Switchblade, which has a removable face/chin guard, but that piece looks flimsy to me. I do know a lot of people who use them though and haven't heard any complaints. It's lightweight and fully ventilated like a regular XC helmet, so it would be tolerable on an XC ride. If I'm taking my DH helmet on a climb it gets attached to my pack until I get to the top.

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Thanks for the helmet info, Alta!!

We're definately going to look into these. Even if we have to drill the "hell out 'em" for good ventilation - they would still provide some decent protection.

I have done too many 53 mph decents.... My luck can't hold for ever. :scream:

Cheers! E-Ticket

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
link to an animated example of the bench dip that bbbom mentioned: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Triceps/WtBenchDip.html

Triceps make up 2/3 of your upper arm. So if you want your biceps to look good, you need to train your triceps too.

For legs, lunges are good. But here's my favorite- http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/DBStrBackStrLegDeadlift.html zia likes them, too. They really work your butt & hamstrings. You may not think so while you're doing it, but just wait until the next day.

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Hey for what its worth, elevate your legs on a chair, and do push-ups, (hands on the floor). That will add some extra pump to your chest and arms, and its free! :thumb:

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Originally posted by Fe_princess
So, when did you make that video Zio?
Did you shave your body for DW'02?
Yeah baby...

Yup, that's me... macho mustache & all. I made that video back in 1976, at the height of my adult video career. :aj:

Top Bottom