MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
I need to replace the sacked out springs on our 2001 XR50. The primary user of the bike will be my youngest son, who weighs about 30. But also plenty of big guys, adults included, ride this thing too. Any suggestions on springs that would solve all needs? If I put the adult rate springs on it, will it be too stiff and tall for the little guy? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Originally posted by MXTex
The primary user of the bike will be my youngest son, who weighs about 30. But also plenty of big guys, adults included, ride this thing too. Any suggestions on springs that would solve all needs?

Not really. You now can get two different rates of adult springs for the XR50. I believe they range from 120-160lbs and from 160-200lbs (rates may vary per manufacturer, but you get the idea). With your son weighing in at a paltry 30 lbs I don't think these springs are for him. I don't think the height would be problem (only lengthens the forks 1") but I do think that the suspension will horribly stiff.

Unless...you build him a ramp and teach him to clear a 35' gap. :scream:

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
It's been a while since I generated this post. Anyway, I installed the medium range springs in the XR. It's been fine but the fork springs rattle inside the fork tubes. Anyone had this problem and know of a solution?

Top Bottom