cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
i just rebuilt my bros 86xr80 and i put it through 3 heat cycles. i was out riding it tonight keeping the rpms low through each gear. i stop and it dies. S!IT. it kicks over n restarts w/ a little gas n it starts screeching. i removed the flywheel sus;ecting one of the stator screws came out. nope. the bike runs but wont idle. i dont think it is the piston bec i figure it would have blown by now n scored he cylinder. would the valves or more like the cam make a noise like this w/o proper lubercation? it has plenty maybe too much oil? the only things im suspecting r in the top end, seems to be where its coming from. could one of the bolts on the cam sprocket have worked them selves loose or something? what about the cam chain? if its too loose could it make that kindo of noise rubbing on the cam chain tunnle walls? please help me.

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
help help help help help!!!!!!!!i just pulled the valve cover n there is no oil in there!!! the cam lober arnt damaged though. thank god. what should i look for? the oil pump under the right side cover? please help me!!!

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
the oil pump wasnt working. i put it back together wrong. i cant figure out how 2 post the parts diagram but at www.yamahaoftroy.com u can see it. i put the shaft that the gears of the pump run on backwards, and the only thing that worked was the gear that meets the primary gear. the one thats there to create suction wasnt moving.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Good thing you found the problem.

Now for the bad part. Even if the bike now starts and runs without a doubt there has been damage done to the engine.

Check the cam and especially the cam bearings. They need all the oil they can get.

Let us know how it comes out.

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
the cam looks good n the xr80 engine dosnt have cam bearings. the only problem im having now is the pilot jett. it starts 1st kick cold w/ the choke, n actually runs w/ the choke on. i flick the chock off n the rpms go up. the idle seems high n dies out everyonce in a while while im sitting there. the rpms will go down n if i give it some throttle the rpms will go up n it will idle again. the pilot jett is 1 step leaner so i figure its too lean? it also takes a little throttle to start. any imput? where can i get a carb gasket? the one inbetween the bowl n carb body.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by cr25096er
the xr80 engine dosnt have cam bearings.

I know it doesn't have cam bearings. You can wipe out the part the cam does rotate on in a heart beat. I'd take the cam out and check it if you havn't already done so.

Good luck. :)

Top Bottom