RoadDawg

Jul 10, 2009
Ok,my wife is ready for a bike. I have found some good prices on a 2007 TTR125 (L & LE) Models.

I have also been looking at the Kawasaki KLX140 for her. She has never ridden a bike before and I want to get her a good solid bike to learn on.

What model do you think would be better. I am a Kawasaki guy, but she really has no preference. I want the bigger tire model as I think that is going to be better for her and the TTR's should fit her perfectly.

The KLX's are a little more money thatn the TTR's, but I will get her whatever one is best. Ultimately I can'tmake the decision until we get to the shop and she sits on the TTR's and check if the fit is right for her.

Any input would be appreciated. I have read a great deal on here about the TTR's and the seem to be solid and safe. The ladies on here also think the TTR is what would be best.

Just fishing for some more input before I plunk down the cash.

I have also read that the jetting needs to be adjusted on the TTR's. I am still not sure of how to do this even on my KDX's. you can read 100 articleson this, but unless can see what you are to do, it's all greek. To me anyway !

Last edited:

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I suspect that the better question is if your wife would want the electric start or if kick start is fine.

The TTR-125LE has both so you won't be stranded some place with a dead battery. The battery does add a fair amount of weight, however, and can be an issue when your wife needs to pick the bike up after a tip over.

If your wife is fairly athletic and is gung-ho about this I would lean towards kick start only. On the other hand, if you are trying to increase your riding opportunities by getting your wife into riding and she is just being a good sport about it then I would lean towards electric start. It is a real bitch to be on a trail that is a little difficult for you, you keep stalling the bike, you are already tired and now have to kick start the bike 100 times. Having the "happy button" can make life back at camp a lot more pleasant.

Rod

lucapachin

Aug 23, 2009
i'm 5'8'' 140 lbs and the 125l is fine for me don't know about the klx and how long are the rides going to be because if they are going to be long rides she may want the LE because it can be hard to kick the bike after its flooded. otherwise save the weight and just go for the L
another thing i have heard is the Chinese bikes are good for older female riders because they wont ride hard so getting parts wont be a big problem and its about 1600 to have a new one delivered to you front door.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
chinese bikes are junk! dont buy one

Look at a 06+ CRF150F bike. E start, great bikes and a bit larger than the KLX and the TTR bike. Great woman's bike!

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
I know you don't like Honda's but the CRF230 is a great learners bike. You don't say how tall your wife is, but the CRF230 is taller than say... the KLX140. It wouldn't hurt to sit on one in the shop to see if she likes it, and they are just about un-killable. I disliked Honda's too until I owned one.

Top Bottom