Yamaha xt 350 problem

J

Jimbo's thumper

Hi folks,
I have just purchased a xt 350 thumper, and she's a beaut apart from the fact that she does my leg in every kick! This is my first four stroke, and I am having troubles with the engine.
It starts with choke, and then runs for probably about 3 or 4 mins very nicely before erratically fading in and out until stopping. It will then start up again several kicks later ( i think when it's cooled down), but the same procedure occurs.
I have cleaned the carbs out, and all seems fine. Could somebody please advise me here, as i'm dying to ride her for more than a mile!
Could it be that it needs timing adjustment? I have also noticed a stumpy pipe sticking out of the top of the LHS engine casing, which puffs out white steam, or smoke. What is the purpose of it, and should it be covered up?
Any help much appreciated.
Cheers
Jim

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Jim:

Welcome to the site, glad you found us :cool:

Sign up (it is free) and go to your User CP and update information relating to your location, type of riding, etc. After that grab a spot on the couch and tell us a bit about yourself. How long you have been riding, what kind of riding you prefer, where you are located, etc. We will do our best to hook you up with some fellow dirt bike enthusiasts.

Regarding your question, I am going to move this post to the Thumper Central forum. It will get much better answers there.

Again, welcome to the site and shout if you have any questions!

Thumpin'John

Sep 8, 2005
fuel problem

Runs and then dies, runs and then dies.. Hey, how about a bad fuel filter or blocked fuel tank outlet. Sounds like you are draining the float bowl each time it runs for a minute or two. The waiting is only needed to allow just enough fuel into the float bowl for the same frustrating thing to happen !

What do you think ??

Did you solve this problem all ready ?

KTM Pete

Sep 26, 1999
Also check the carb vent lines to see if they are plugged or melted.. If the air can't get in, the float bowl can't fill. The tube is a crankcase vent-I think it attaches to the airbox. If it is puffing steam, check your oil for water/condensation. The crank pressure pulses in and out of the tube and it should not be plugged.

Top Bottom