clarkie

Mar 14, 2006
I'm wondering what bike should I get. I'm looking at either a yz 125 or 450f. I'm 16 about 6 foot and about 140 pounds. I've been riding for about 5 years in total but on and off whenever I had a bike. I drove big bikes before so the power issue isn't really a problem. I'm going to be doing a lot of sand pit riding and jumping and maybee get into a bit of moto x. Do anyone have any suggestions on what bike I should pick?

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
motoman124 said:
get the 250f because it is tougher than the 125 but easier to control then the 450f.

Some people on here just reccomend what they ride without even considering what the person wants. Ever thread you post says "Just get a 250f, it is better, because I have one..." :blah: Tougher than a 125 my ass.

Since you're an on-off rider, don't get a 4t, a 2t will be much easier to maintain. For the type of riding you do I'd reccomend a 250 TWO STROKE, but a 125 would be my second choice. For your intended riding, a 4t bike wouldn't be nearly as much fun to ride.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Masterphil said:
Some people on here just reccomend what they ride without even considering what the person wants. Ever thread you post says "Just get a 250f, it is better, because I have one..." :blah: Tougher than a 125 my ass.

Since you're an on-off rider, don't get a 4t, a 2t will be much easier to maintain. For the type of riding you do I'd reccomend a 250 TWO STROKE, but a 125 would be my second choice. For your intended riding, a 4t bike wouldn't be nearly as much fun to ride.

+1

clarkie

Mar 14, 2006
I was leaning more towards the 2 stroke becase seeing I'm only a twig lol and it would be easier for me to throw it around but I have to ride for about a half hour to get to the pits. How much better fuel mileage would a 4t get over a 2t?

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
These are all race bikes - if your looking at fuel economy maybe you should be looking at an offroad bike like KTM's XC lineup. I would definitely stick with a 2-stroke. A YZ250F tougher than a YZ125 - HA !!!!! IMHO I would 2nd the motion for the YZ250 ( if blue is your color ).

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
I don't think there is really "more" maintenance on one verses the other persay. The 4T is just more difficult and time consuming to perform the required tasks ( I don't mind working on bikes, there just comes a time when I'd rather be riding ). Even minor jetting changes on a thumper can be a royal PIA vs a 2T, there's just a lot crammed into that frame ( bear in mind the frame evolved around a 2T ). The other thing is when something breaks on a 4T, chances are it will be a LOT more expensive to repair. Refurb's are definitely more on a 4T. I think a fair estimate ( watch the sparks fly now ) is it will cost about 2-3 times as much to keep the thumper properly maintained vs the 2T.

Top Bottom