mrbb

Aug 26, 2010
thanks for the feedback
But I am very aware that a big part of everything is to have it tuned and running as it should

right now the bike has some hrs on it, buts its strong and handles very well,
had suspension work done, triple claps, bars and , a pipe and silinecer, reeds, wheels and some added goodies to frame and what not's!
I am just thinking about a project of sorts, since its winter here, and I don't ride in the winter,so a perfect time to build!

I again, have been playing with bikes on and off for about 20+ yrs,
but I am not involved near as much as I was 15 yrs ago.

I am looking for thoughts, and ideas based on what others have done , and hwat they did, and now what they wished they did.

there are many great parts out there, but not all work great together

I don't want to seem cheap, but if others made bad put togethers, and are willing to share
I call that research to a point!

thats what these post mean to me, we share our finds, and thus we all get better at our rides and what really works and what doesn't!
I am not speed track racer, I run trail, but like to play on bigger hills, so turning fast laps is not my agenda, making Hp is more of the deal, rather than speed!
if I had deeper pockets, I would be buying one of them all bells and whisles 500's out there from the custom shops that still sell them!
But for now, i am planning to see what i get out of the 250 I have!

OriginalRider

Nov 23, 2008
I just sent my cr250 cylinder out to eddie sanders for a 330 big bore kit.ive been dealing with eddie for about 4 years now him and kustom kraft.He charged me $568.76 for everything.he also threw in the new RB2000 Billet Reed Blocks

mrbb

Aug 26, 2010
that sounds like a good deal, and idea

Please let me know how you like it when you get it back.

thats the kind of info i am looking for, just wish you had it done and a season on the bike to tell about pro's and con's of opening it to a 330.

any trans issues, or where does it shine the most
thats what I am looking for!
and maybe a list of goodies you put on to work with the new power, from guys that have done a 300-330 kit

but thanks for the thought and again, let me know how if works out!

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
mrbb,

What is the current compression reading? What jetting is in the carb. now? What slide? What fuel are you running & what has been done to the Cylinder head? What is your timing set at? Which FMF pipe? Which silencer? What suspension settings & sag are you running, currently? What handling issues would you like to improve? Have you greased & adjusted the steering head bearings yet? What condition are the various rear suspension linkage needle bearings in? What about the wheel bearings?

I have not yet read any specific information from you about any of these details. Gather this information, then do a search of each specific topic. It's almost certainly been discussed, with respect to the YZ250, here already. You'll find lots of good information that way.

Then, when you have some more specific questions, along with all of your technical specs, post in those threads you've found.

You'll get the information you are looking for that way.

Good luck, Ken :ride:

mrbb

Aug 26, 2010
Ken, Thanks, for the advice
as for all my spec's, i don't have them handy, and honestly, I probably don't even know some, BUT I have many good friends that turn tools very well, some have even worked on some big name companys for factory racers.

I try not to bother them all too much( not that I like to bother anyone on here or any where else either)

I know my bike right now is set up for me, had the suspension settings & sag set up by a shop that does that for a living, and am more or less happy with its works( I know things can always be better)
as for the pipe, its a ganrly, and a shorty sil.
, the rest of the STATS are not off the top of my head, have to ask the pro's that set me up.

again, I am not new to bikes, been playing with them for over 30+ yrs, I admit I am not a great tool turner, thats why I meet and became friends over time with guys that do it for a living.
But from past experience, most better shops like to work with a single( or few ) company and lines, to get there best from, and not always whats the best out there,

how many sopncered or just working with a company rider or tool turner will tell you to use a different brand item?
thats another reason I like having forums

you get a lot a feedback from average to pro's and want a be's, at time's,
on what they did, and how they liked it

like I said, I stepped away from the bike game for a while, and as such, I might not be up to date on what guys really run these days, compared to the past( I am still a 2 stroke guy, and very few new 2 strokes out there)
I am more or less happy with my bike now, just always looking to make it better if possible. more power is always good if it doesn't hurt anything to get it!

and since winter is here, I posted before to get ideas on maybe what I might want to do to it,

thus this post of sorts,

looking for ideas, and suggestions, on what guys have done!, and then there likes and dislikes!

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Gorr's site looked OK (up and running today). Got two YZ250's in the family, 04 and 09. No engine mods and they rip just fine. Suspension mods always seem like a stellar idea given a riding style/weight/ability. Would try a 300 if given the chance. Service has a Yamaha 300 on their site and Gorr does a </= 300. Think the facts and opinions are right :cool:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I know the old Kustom Kraft, they specialize in liners. Bye, bye horsepower and reliability. You want power, rebuild your bike per the recommended maintenance schedule. More? Bump up the compression and run what used to be 85 dollars for 5 gallons of race fuel. More, get the 300 kit from Forward Motion. Ask Eric if the 330 kit is viable, there are a LOT of mods that work in bar rooms, not the real world. I believe a steel liner can have a plating sprayed on it, but the heat transfer and bore would still be suspect. BUT, I would still stick with a basically stock motor, better cooling, and mod the suspension. That is not enough, get the KX500AF. Most tight areas the 250 is quicker though!

YZ Teacher

Mar 13, 2007
Really do you need the 295? I say for most, no. Keeping a mech. sound bike with a fresh topend and proper tuning is more than most need. The single biggest improvement for my 03 YZ250 on the MX track was a fly wheel weight. My Thumper buddies could not believe how much easier my bike was to ride. The second best mod. ever for the YZ was P90X. Yeah, amazing how fast you can ride when you are in extreme shape.

Top Bottom