ddfda

Apr 18, 2004
Greetings:
I have a 2000 YZ125 with a very recent bottom end AND top end rebuild. Before the engine was rebuilt, the plug hardly ever fouled. Now that it is rebuilt, the plug fouls easily. If it is ridden hard, i.e., "on the pipe" and the revs kept up while idling, then the plug seems to do ok. The first time I let the engine idle normally or don't keep revving it on a jump, etc., the plug fouls and the engine bogs badly and then it won't start unless the plug is replaced. (interestingly, if I clean the plug and put it in my RM250 it runs fine while it won't work in the YZ after cleaning) I have had the carb apart twice and cleaned it and then took the bike to a local Yamaha dealer 3 times - they tweaked the carb adjustments and told me to keep it "on the pipe" while riding. I think it may be a weak magneto but the dealer doesn't think so. (I don't know if they checked the mag or not). Why would the bike NOT foul plugs so badly before the rebuild and now fouls so easily?? I use a 38 to 1 mix, have tried fresh gas 3 times, and the rebuild was to factory specs. ANY IDEAS???? THANKS!!

ben.handasyde

Jan 28, 2004
did you change oil?(synthetic to mineral based) after your rebuild. that happened to my yz i would foul plugs all the time then i changed oil and never has a problem. was the plug wet and oily when you took it out aswell. maybe adjust your jetting and make it leaner. also what oil eatio aree you running.

ddfda

Apr 18, 2004
ben.handasyde said:
did you change oil?(synthetic to mineral based) after your rebuild. that happened to my yz i would foul plugs all the time then i changed oil and never has a problem. was the plug wet and oily when you took it out aswell. maybe adjust your jetting and make it leaner. also what oil eatio aree you running.

I am not sure what oil you had success with?? I am mixing 38 to 1....... Thanks for the fast reply!

Dave

Top Bottom