XR400RMan

Dec 11, 2000
I am just wondering which of these bikes have more power? I am now looking at a 400 to get after I sell my 91 XR250R. How realiable is the Suzuki? I am looking at the Kickstart only. I think the DR-Z400E is just to heavy. How does the DR-Z400 start? Is it easy? Also what about the XR400R. I am just wondering which one has overall better power and Suspension and also be very realiable. I would think that the Suzuki has more power because of the Double overhead cam(DOHC) instead of the XR400's Single overhead cam(SOHC). So thanks in advance for the replies. I know I have been posting alot it seems lately but with all of the choices that are out there I just want to get the right one. oh and I will not get a KTM 400 because I like the Japenise bikes so just count out Harqvarna and KTM. Thanks again Matt

B

biglou

I rode the DRZ for about a year. I really liked it. Great low-end like a tractor! But, I've heard the same about the XR400 as well. The ergos and the technology seem to be a little more up to date on the DRZ. They are heavy as well as the Honda, but a few mods can shave upwards of 10 pounds off if you want to spend the money. I have only known of a few reliability issues with the DRZ's, and the Honda reputation for reliability is bulletproof. I think that regular maintenance and inspection will go a long way to increasing the reliability of either bike. Not sure about the XR, but there are a couple simple things you can do to the DRZ that will really wake her up for next to nothing.
I don't think you can make a wrong choice here. Then again, that's just my opinion. Good luck.

weekendtoy

Jun 2, 2001
Your main question seems to be power?The DRZ will make more of it way longer into the rpm band.A stock XR400 will put out just over 30hp and quits by 7500 rpms a DRZ will hit 40hp and pull to 10,000rpm's.Both bikes weigh the same but when riding it the DRZ feels lighter.The front end of the DRZ is stiffer due to 49mmforks as opposed to the 43mm forks the XR comes with.I ride my 2001 DRZ kicker with a bud who rides a 2000 XR400 both bikes start with ease.Both bikes are jetted and piped and my DRZ eats him on the flat open drag type situations.The DRZ is just an updated version of the XR.Both are great machines and due a good job at doing what they were designed for trailriding.

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hey,
I'm a Honda XR freak so I'm biased. I've had Xr's since I got my first XR200 back in '87, now I have a '96 XR400. I've never ridden a DRZ.

High tech stuff on dirt bikes is great, but that also makes them less reliable, harder to work on, and more expensive to fix. The DRZ's haven't really been out long enough to say whether they will last or not, but I've not heard of any serious issues thus far.

As I'm sure you know with your 250, XR's are virtually bulletproof, for years and years. My '87 XR200 still has an all original engine, clutch etc. and still runs great, I keep it for posterity, and one day I will give it to my grandchildren to ride. I bought my XR400 used, I'm the 3rd owner, all original engine etc. and I've put on an easy 1500 miles+ just since this last summer. I've worn out wheel bearings, tires, sprockets/chains, and about to wear out one of the footpegs, but the engine/tranny has never let me down.

Both the XR and DRZ will required suspension mods if you intend to ride more aggressively than just casual off-road, but with the newer DRZ, it would probably win in the suspension category.

I'm not sure about the quote of the DRZ making 40HP, but they are definitely made to run at higher RPM's, which is nice, but definitely doesn't add to the reliability of the DRZ. One thing to note, the DRZ comes with a 12.2/1 compression piston, whereas the XR comes with a 9.4/1 compression ratio. The added compression really increases the HP, but again will insure that you will need top end work more often than on the XR.

Both bikes will respond well to mods. My XR400 has XR's Only exhaust and a Mikuni pumper carb. It is so much better than the stock setup, it still suprises me. I ride with guys on 250 and 125 MX bikes on tight and wide open trails, and I have absolutely no problem keeping up or leading them. On a track or fast, rough terrain I would be at a serious disadvantage though due to suspension limitations, and that instant hit required on tracks.

I will tell you this, the XR400 will feel just like your 250, it will just be faster and more powerful. So, if you are happy with your 250, except for power, then you will be very happy with a 400. By the way, don't buy a new XR400, get a good used one and save a grand or two, use the extra money to put on a pipe and pumper carb or whatever mods you like.

On the other hand, if you just want something different, and have plenty of money, then go for the DRZ. However, if I was going to get a DRZ, I would HAVE to get the e-start. Good luck.

TR

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 17, 2000
Snagglexr4,

Some points to research:

1) How much does the DRZ actually weigh ?
2) What is the suspension travel on the DRZ ?
3) How does the DRZ cope with 1 & 2 nd gear survival riding ?
4) If you fall while crossing a river, the bike takes in water and YOU have to get it going again... It happens to the best of us.

In Australia the XR's are typically sold with the HRC kit. They are still a strong seller. It is the CAM on the XR which makes it a bottom end mid range performer. The HRC cam changes this.

Regards
TR :D
Fun bike XR400 (HRC cam, J&E406 piston, Mikuni pumper, Ohlins forks, vortex ignition)
Race bike 00 YZ125 ( Reikon handelbars. re valved forks and shock)

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Weekendtoy is dead on. I rode both an XR and DRZ kicker the same day, and it felt like the XR motor quit on me way before it should have. Im not saying its weak, just that the motor felt underpowered, and didnt rev out like the DRZ. Then again, I ride the forever-revving monster! ;) :cool: :)

cetris

May 8, 2001
DRZ ??

How are you doing? I saw your post on DRN and thought I'd say hi. I live up off of Rocky River, very near the I-485 construction. I recently sold a KTM 360 and bought a 2000 DRZ kicker. So far, it has been bullet proof for me. It will tractor around in first gear all day, or it will rip when you twist the throttle. I rode the big-bore KTM 360 2-stroke for five years, so I am accustomed to massive doses of horsepower, and the DRZ has not disappointed me. The KTM was fun, but it was a very hard-edged race bike, and it could really tire you out after awhile.

I decided to go with a kick start DRZ instead of the estart because I just didn't feel like I needed the complexity, maintenance issues, and primarily the weight of an electric starter on my dirt bike. I haven't regretted it, it starts ridiculously easy. Usually the first kick. I bought it December 2000 and I haven't used the hot-start button yet- seriously. The people that have the button love it, but if I had it to do over again I would buy the kicker again.

Have you been riding the I-485 area any? It is a pretty popular place to play on the weekends. I have been riding out of my driveway, through the woods behind my house, and over to the construction area for about 2 years now...pretty neat. I like the KTM 520's, but I couldn't justify $7500 for a dirt bike.

Let me know what you decide to buy.

Good luck,

Chuck

MistaBuff

Jan 1, 2002
GET THE DRZ400!!

SnaggleXR4 is very biased, and very WRONG! The xr 400 is an aircooled bike, and the drz is water cooled. His claims that the xr are more reliable are wrong. Granted, a watercooled bike has more moving parts and thus reliability would seemingly be less, but its actually the opposite that is true. The water cooling keeps ur bike's engine temp constant,thus keeping parts from warping and going bad. Air cooled engines fluxuate greatly every time you ride, and after years of riding an aircooled bike, it may start right up, but the hot temp. abuse will make ur bike less and less powerful with every season you ride. GET THE SUZUKI. Besides, it is more powerful and more reasonably priced for what ya get. Looks better too. Honda has 20yr old technology in all their bikes- stay away from it. You'll be glad you got the suzuki- I'm getting mine this spring!:scream:

weekendtoy

Jun 2, 2001
For that matter forget the Yamaha too and buy a KTM RFS and be done with it.I must disagree with the Honda having 20 year old technology in all their bikes.Look at the CR250 and the CRF450 and try repeating that statement.For the money the DRZ is a better bike.

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
not to go off on a tangent, but...

TR, How do you rate the vortex ignition? In what ways does it noticably affect performance?

kudzukudzu

Sep 2, 2001
As a former (many year) XR rider, I have to say this is not much of a contest. I loved my old XR500 but was sorely disappointed in my tests of the XR400. Virtually no progress! I got the DRZ and love it. It's not like my 520, but then it's not supposed to be. It's a great trail bike and wheelie king.

Frankly, I don't see the XR400 being around much longer in its current form (or even heavily modified). You just know Honda is building steam to put the CRF450 into an enduro version. When that happens, my old (by then) DRZ will have real competition, not to mention the EXC520!:p

Until then, the DRZ is a great all-around bike; it didn't win a bunch of kudos for nothing when it came out. And if you do get one, go e-button unless you're under 25 and enjoy your right leg shorter and bigger than your left. You will not likely even notice the extra weight (especially vs. an old-style Honda).

Best of luck.

weekendtoy

Jun 2, 2001
I disagree my DRZ is a one kick wonder.Im 31 and have yet to regret getting the kickstart model.Though it is MUCH easier to push a button.Most say they indeed do not notice the extra weight.The kicker fires with real ease.

cetris

May 8, 2001
Weekendtoy is right on the money regarding kick-starting the DRZ. It lights up on the 1st kick more often than not, hot or cold. Clearly more effort than pushing a button, but definitely an easy kicker. I am tall so that may make it easier for me than someone under 6' tall.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom