XR400RMan

Dec 11, 2000
I posted earlier about which 2002 MX 250 is best for woods riding, Well I went on Suzuki's site tonight and was looking at the DR-Z's and they look nice, I was looking at the DR-Z250 and saw that is was 259pounds Dry Weight if I remember correctly and then the DR-Z400(Kickstart)was 10 pounds lighter. Which of the DR-Z400 bikes would you suggest, The DR-Z400 is 2 pounds heavier than the XR400R. Since I am about 5'11" inches tall and weigh about 155 or so with gear on would I be happy with a DR-Z400? Will it be to heavy? Can I putt it around like my XR250R? How Realiable is it compared to the XR400R? How much faster is the DR-Z400 than the XR400R since it has the DOHC engine? How are the DR-Z's trail manners? Sorry for the questions,Matt

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Great bike, great power from low down, very easy on the trail, is a mountain goat, and very reliable. Check out the for sale forum CAL is selling his with many extras for a very good price, and he will ship !

Jim Z.

Nov 10, 2001
I have an 01 Drz 400 kicker. I love it.
* It starts easy
* It is fast when needed
* It is slow when needed
* It handles good
* It is plain fun
* Easy to ride

Is that enough reasons for you. All I've done to mine is a pipe, new bars and Cycra race plastic. It is a dream. ;)

kudzukudzu

Sep 2, 2001
Have 2 DRZ400e's in our family. Everything said above is true and more. It is easily as reliable as my old XR. And the e-button is magic! :aj: If you want to race or ride very, very aggressively, then the YZ426F, CRF450, or KTM RFS's are the right thing, but for what you describe, the DRZ really can't be beat. The only drawbacks are weight and the need for a kick-start kit if you want a backup. However, neither of these are a problem for trail or even most enduro riding.

Good luck!

XR400RMan

Dec 11, 2000
Since I am 16,about 155 to 160 pounds with all my gear on,about 5'11" tall would I be able to handle the DR-Z400? Will the weight make me tired alot faster? I want something that starts very easy, How is the DR-Z400 compared to the XR400R? What are most of you paying for your DR-Z400's OTD? Thanks Matt

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Looks like a perfect fit, e-start makes it start 'very' easy - the weight may make you tired faster, but the bike is so easy to ride this shouldn't be a problem. If you fall a lot, then the extra weight will tire you out - see if you can get to ride one, you will like it - a lot. :)

kudzukudzu

Sep 2, 2001
Got mine used (~3 hours) with trailer for $4050. There are a ton of these only slightly used, so you can get a bargain. Don't , however, get a highly modded or raced one without very close inspection. Best to find one bought by someone for trail riding who finally figured out they just don't have the time!

XR400RMan

Dec 11, 2000
Thanks for the replies, Does anyone know where I can get a 280cc kit for my 1991 XR250R? If so how much and what is involved in doing it? Thanks Matt

Top Bottom