MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Okay its not a 100% update yet I haven't tried the needle yet. I just got in the mail the other day that special needle mxa keeps suggesting along with a few other rags. The reason stock needle is causing a slightly to lean condition. I suspect the reason is now that I got this new needle has to deal with the taper. The stock needle right before it go's into the main has a sudden taper change. Its pretty normal for a needle as in it tapers very gardually till that point. The new needle I just got doesn't have this sudden change in taper its striaght taper all the way threw. My theory is cause of the sudden change in the tapper on the stock needle its setting into the main to deeply causing the slight lean ness its offering. The hype of the new needle is that it gets rid of this and the bike runs more crisply overall. The weather has been crappy here lately (snow) so I haven't gotten a chance to try it. I'm going to try it this weekend during my next ax race, not my ample idea for testing but i'll let ya know if I can detect any difference I'm thinking small gains here.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I feel like an idiot, I got the new needle went to install it on sat night before the race. I pull out the needle to find out I all ready had it in there! I thought the dealer had ordered me the euro spec needle. (I need to pay better attention!!) So now I have two of the 6BHY24-77 needles, I've been running it for like the last month now. Here's my settings pilot #30 needle 1st clip 6BHY24-77 420 main stock slide 1.5 to 2 turns out on air screw adjust accordingly running Trick 110 at sea level conditions.

What the needle does compared to stock, when I got the bike new it had this slight hiccup/hesitation on the bottom. It was making me believe either float hieght was off slightly or it was just a tad rich on the pilot. With this needle installed the hesitation is now gone and throttle responce is much crisper. It is very noticable when getting back on the pipe. Other '02 riders with the same bike running stock jetting most notice also cause people have been comparing thier throttle responce to my bike. My bike comes on like a good second earlier now. Soon as I crack the throttle the bike responds instantly and starts pulling right away. No more hesitation the stock needle used to cause once in awhile. the anyoying burble it had when landing from jumps or taking a hard hit is gone. So if I was to choose one word to describe the improvement it made it would be crisper.

podia

Aug 31, 2000
I use the no. 77 needle with the clip at the top position.
PJ= 30 and MJ=430, AS= 1 3/4turns out

Use a NGK9 plug, it roll on smooth and crisp.:cool:

podia

Aug 31, 2000
For my Euro spec YZ, the jets sizes and the no.77 are the same as what I post.

Only the clip is in the 3rd position from top. AS= 2turns out:cool:

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
No podia your needle is different than the needle I'm talking about your needle is like the stocker in the US models instead of being a 79 its a 77 but it has the same taper design. So the 79 is leaner than the 77 needle and by installing the 6BHY24-77 needle your richening up the overall jetting specs to cure a slightly to lean condition it causes. I can't remember exactly how it had it listed in the owners manual. something like 6C-H8-22-79 something like very close to that I don't have the manual on me right now.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
No stock on the US spec models is 6CHY5-79 in the 3rd clip #30 pilot #420 main 5.75 slide 2.5 turns out on air screw.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom