02 YZ250 problems....NEED HELP!!!!!!!!

justinator

Jul 8, 2005
Okay first of all my clutch seems to drag. In gear it will only stay running with the clutch in if you give it throttle and when you do it wants to lunge ahead. Is it time for some new plates and springs?? My tranny oil was grey after maybe 5 hrs of riding. Is this due to the clutch problems???
My other problem is I noticed that there is some white/gray slimy stuff coming out of the vent to tube for my power valve on the left side of the cylinder. What causes this?? The bike runs great and has excellent power. It does smoke a bit more than most but I know my jetting is quite rich and that was going to be my weekend project. My plug looks good, a little on the dark side but no excessive build up or anything. I run amsoil interceptor oil, 40:1. Any help is appreciated.

B

biglou

Is there too much freeplay in your clutch lever? ie, is it adjusted correctly? As for the PV vent, I had a drop or two of crud after riding at first, but have since rejetted from a 45 to a 42 pilot and haven't noticed any since.

justinator

Jul 8, 2005
Yes the clutch is adjusted correctly. I did just notice something though. When idling in neutral and I release the clutch lever the clutch makes some funny noises. Could something be loose and wore out and thats why I'm getting the grayish oil so quickly????? So you think jetting my jetting straightened up may eliminate some of this crap coming out of my pv vent?? Thanks alot for any help, 2-stroke bikes are new to me

B

biglou

A smoked clutch will turn the oil gray, but it should be slipping instead of grabbing, that's the part that I can't figure out. As for the noise when engaged, that's fairly common to hear some chatter in neutral with the lever out.

justinator

Jul 8, 2005
I already thought about the anti freeze but its full and has stayed full since I got the bike. I guess I'll have to pull the clutch cover and see whats going on. The reason the noise bothers me is that it just started last night. I know it didnt make this noise before. Thanks again

justinator

Jul 8, 2005
OKay, My tranny oil is greyish within an hour of riding, my clutch doesny feel toasted but it does make some grinding shearing noises when letting off. I think its something with my clutch because the rest of the gear box works flawless and has continued to work flawless day after day. Now I had mentioned the grey crap dripping from my pv vent. My tranny oil is grey so does that sound like my rh crank seal is gone out. It hasnt fouled any plugs yet but it does smoke quite a bit and I went from a 50 pilot to a 45 and I dumped the 180 main for a 178 and it didnt improve at all. It may sound funny but the exhaust doesnt really smell like a 2-stroke usually does. My buddy runs the same amsoil as me and it has a unique smell but mine is eye watering. So what do you think??? Also as far as the grey oil is concerned should I replace the clutch and try it out from there before jumping into the gearbox or is it likely something else is wrong since my clutch seems to be holding up??? Thanks in advance guys......

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
I would just take off the clutch cover and inspect. It takes 2 seconds. Also make sure you havn't lost any anti freeze.

Erik

NathanA

Oct 2, 2004
the noise and dragging in your clutch could be the result of broken/warped plate and notches worn in the inner and outer hubs. sacked out springs would make the clutch slip not grab. it is also possible, especially if your oil is loosing its lubricity, that the clutch outer hub bushing has worn or galled to the main shaft causing it to drag. a dragging clutch will definately break down the oil. it sounds as though the water pump water/oil seals and impeller shaft need to be replaced. the exhaust smell could be from a leaking right main seal or maybe a coolant leak into the combustion chamber. that might explain the grey goop from the pv tube. just inspect ( look, measure, fondle, taste) the parts before you buy what you dont need. what type of tranny oil do you use? spectro, maxima, bell ray are good, penzoil motor oil is pure evil!

MadArrow

Sep 8, 2003
You might try a magnetic drain plug. On my 95 RM250 that I am sure has a shot clutch I find lots of metal shavings on the drain plug after only an hour of riding. I'm assuming the friction plates have worn through and the driven plates are rubbing? The clutch is extremely grabby but does not slip at all, I am pretty light though 150 lbs.

justinator

Jul 8, 2005
I took the bike apart today to replace the crank seal and I found where the metal shavings are coming from but dont know why. The pushrod that disengages the clutch had some shavings right on the end(clutch side) I pulled the rod out and the other end(clutch cable side) had a big ole glob of metal. What is causing this?? Does the rod need replacing or is it the problem on the other end where my cable connects to?? Any help appreciated

justinator

Jul 8, 2005
Well the bike is back together and running but it sil seems like I'm getting some tranny oil out my pv vent hose. I know my crank bearings need replacing since I noticed some play in the bearing while doing the seal. Could a bad bearing be causing the tranny oil to still seep into my lower end or is there another place for it to sneak in?? Also why is that pushrod getting so much metal shavings????? Cmon guys I know someone knows all the answers.......plzzz help............TIA

anca

Nov 7, 2003
yes the push rod is the problem, you have to change it and inspect the cam that is actuated by the clutch cable. I bet that it has to be replaced too. I had the same problem. The clutch is making funny sounds when engaging it when the oil is very old, or not enough, or contaminated with water(also from experience).
Some oil coming from PV is normal (there are many treads regarding this subject).
The crank bearings have to have some play, they are C3, are made like this because are working at high temperature, so it is needed place to expand. Too much play...not good, read you manual for specs.
If your lower end is sucking oil from tranny then you will see all the time black spooge at the muffler(much of it) and the oil level changing rapidly

justinator

Jul 8, 2005
anca said:
yes the push rod is the problem, you have to change it and inspect the cam that is actuated by the clutch cable. I bet that it has to be replaced too. I had the same problem. The clutch is making funny sounds when engaging it when the oil is very old, or not enough, or contaminated with water(also from experience).
Some oil coming from PV is normal (there are many treads regarding this subject).
The crank bearings have to have some play, they are C3, are made like this because are working at high temperature, so it is needed place to expand. Too much play...not good, read you manual for specs.
If your lower end is sucking oil from tranny then you will see all the time black spooge at the muffler(much of it) and the oil level changing rapidly
THANK YOU!!!!!!! I will order a pushrod and cam and go from there, Now that I got my bike jetted correctly I dont really have any spooge from my pipe, Its just my pv vent that drips and its greyish so I figured it was tranny oil since the level was droppngf and I have no leaks. I have a new seal on and am still getting some grey splooge from my vent, havent ridden it enough to see if the oil level is dropping yet. Thank you again.

Top Bottom