gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
ok, so the weather broke open, and the temp was above 45. I have been sitting on this bike in the basement for over a week, waiting, itchin to get it out and ride it. Ok, so, I am coming off a 01 KDX220R with ALOT of mods, and it screams, BUT, when it came to a hill, It fell short of my expectations.
First off, i flooded it when I got to the park, but with the compression release, i was able to clear it out in a few kicks. ( i ran the battery down. ) once started, it runs lean at an idle, but after awhile of running, it wasn't so bad. A JD kit will be next on the list.
:aj: THIS BIKE ROCKS!!!! :aj:
The best way I could describe it to my wife was like this:
It's like I had a cast on my legs, and not being able to do things other people could, THEN, i got my casts off.
The bike has ooddles of low end power. it was VERY crisp at the throttle. i weigh 220lbs, and stand 6ft. IT FEELS LIGHTER THAN MY KDX!!! it is VERY tractable. LOL, I was doing 70, and still had ANOTHER gear to go yet! hows that for speed! It does feel narrow, but I think that is why it feels lighter to me. The seat may be hard, but the suspension is plush, and soaks it up. Usually I have my hands falling asleep when i ride the KDX, but today, I didn't have that problem. I did quite a bit of jumping also, and my back isn't freaked like it did after riding the KDX. coincidence????
I dont think so...........
Don't get me wrong, I love the KDX still, but maybe I have moved up the ladder a notch, and this bike fits the bill. BUT, I do know, I will grab this one from home first! :thumb:

Last edited:

tlm

Feb 20, 2001
As a new owner of an 04 450 EXC, I could not agree more with your analogy. I think of it as the bike doing what I want and not having to conform to the bike's nature.

I have not found a situation where the bike could not save from a bonehead choice, I know it is only a matter of time. But till that day comes, this is the most amazing bike I have ridden. I worry that the faster I go the better it feels, is that bad?

Tim

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
Tim,
I felt the same way! it just feels light and agile! and the suspension just keeps on soaking it up. this bike and I have an agreement. we will together, and not against one another! with that unity, we ride well! LOL

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Gnarlykaw, Did you get the feeling that it ran like was electric, so smooth? Even though I stepped on to a 02 Husaberg instead of a 04 KTM, she's still a RFS four stroke. And has almost the same components. (Brakes, hubs, suspension etc.) You’re so right on it's a step up. Enjoy your new bike and keep the reports coming in on future rides once you really get the feel of her.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom