Spokes574

Apr 27, 2001
MDK has a CAM fix. Its $40.
If you know how to work on engines you can do yourself.
I had my bike done when they opened it up to get me some more top end.

Spokes574

B

biglou

No issues for me yet (knock on wood). Still relatively low hours on mine (1.2). And I'm old and slow, so...

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
TRexRacing said:
Ah........well...................point of reference for me.I own an '03.

From what I understand, they redesigned pretty much everything on the 09. As to how much the decompressor changed from 08 to 09, hard to say.

As for what railer was saying, the decompressor on the CRF450 has always been automatic. As far as I know the only modern bike that had a manual decompression was Yamaha..

The hot start isn't just automatic on the 09, it's gone. No need for it on an injected bike.

railer

Nov 4, 2005
IndyMX said:
Hot Start's & decompressors are 2 different things. The lack of a hot start lever on the 09 450 is due to it being fuel injected.

Yea, that's what I said. :)

Wayne Meuir

Feb 2, 2009
I am speaking from a totally inexperienced point of view, but a friend of my son has a CRF250R, not sure of the year but it is almost new. He says that if you drop it and the engine is at normal running temp, you may as well plan on waiting five mintues or you can kick till your leg falls off and it will not start.
Is this a common problem, I have heard others complain about hard starting. I never had that problem with any 2-stroke I ever owned.

Wayne

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
two strokes almost never have a prob starting. thats one of the reasons I ride a 2T, I'm not vary big and the 4 strokes are soo hard to start If I kill it on a steep hill I want to be able to start it easily.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Wayne Meuir said:
I am speaking from a totally inexperienced point of view, but a friend of my son has a CRF250R, not sure of the year but it is almost new. He says that if you drop it and the engine is at normal running temp, you may as well plan on waiting five mintues or you can kick till your leg falls off and it will not start.

There is a definite knack to starting 4 strokes, especially when hot, when my son first switched from a 125 I was ready to burn that dang 4 stroke every time I changed the oil and tried to start the bike. After a short period of time I learned the technique for starting that particular bike and could get it to light up in a few kicks hot or cold.

railer

Nov 4, 2005
...kick it harder. :)

Also, here is the link to the MDK "HD Decompression Pin" they have developed that is supposed to be better than the stock one.

http://www.mdkgear.com/servlet/the-191/MDK-Speed-HD-Decomp/Detail

I ordered mine today while I was at work and when I got home, I received an email saying that they are on backorder and should be shipping out again on the 18th, so bare that in mind.

Brian.

railer

Nov 4, 2005
TRexRacing said:
That's nice.I'd send Honda a copy of the bill.

HA! yea right. The jokers at the shop want an hour and a half of shop time (at 75.00 an hour) just to put it in. I was like thanks, but I'll do it myself...I tell yea, the fact that there hasn't been a recall is really starting to chap my a$$. Honda needs to suck it up and back their mistake.

By the way, any 09 owners done this yet? I'm wondering if I'll need to re-shim my valves once I put the pin in. My thought was "no", considering I'm not changing anything except that pin.

Brian.

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
Yeah I know it was said tongue in cheek.

I don't have any experience with the later models but my '03 is easy to work on.Apparently the change is not a good one.manufacturers are in a big rush to get things out the door with very little internal R&D so you become the guinea pig.That's why my CRF is an '03.I wanted one bad but waited a year.My bike is good enough for me so no more new ones unless the new Maicos turn out as good as they look.No more thumpers for me.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I could only imagine that they have to have a certain amount of failures or have determined that there was a manufacturing flaw to warrant a recall. I've heard a couple of guy on here who've had the problem, and a couple that haven't.

Perhaps they haven't yet reached the point of needing to recall the bikes..

Kawi4life

Feb 21, 2005
I'm a diehard Kawasaki fan, but I gotta say I think this new Honda is pretty damn sharp! I'd almost buy it based on looks alone, lol! I also like what I've read about it being designed to feel lighter and smaller. That's one of my main complaints about the 4-strokes is that they feel like big heavy Harley Davidson beasts and not a light nimble MX bike.

If I could afford or was willing to spend the price on a new 09, it would be a hard choice for me KX450f or CRF450....heh.

railer

Nov 4, 2005
Kawi4life said:
I'm a diehard Kawasaki fan, but I gotta say I think this new Honda is pretty damn sharp! I'd almost buy it based on looks alone, lol! I also like what I've read about it being designed to feel lighter and smaller. That's one of my main complaints about the 4-strokes is that they feel like big heavy Harley Davidson beasts and not a light nimble MX bike.

If I could afford or was willing to spend the price on a new 09, it would be a hard choice for me KX450f or CRF450....heh.

it's a nice bike. It feels like my 125. But I gotta say, this whole decomp. pin issue is really getting under my skin, becuase I'm trying to take a trip in a few weeks to ride dunes in Cali. and the shops say that they won't get the new parts in until right around that time, so I may not get the fix before I take that trip. If the bike takes a s**t while I'm out there, I'm going to have wasted a bunch of money and time, and I can't reschedule, so I just have to take a gamble.

Kawi4life

Feb 21, 2005
railer said:
it's a nice bike. It feels like my 125. But I gotta say, this whole decomp. pin issue is really getting under my skin, becuase I'm trying to take a trip in a few weeks to ride dunes in Cali. and the shops say that they won't get the new parts in until right around that time, so I may not get the fix before I take that trip. If the bike takes a s**t while I'm out there, I'm going to have wasted a bunch of money and time, and I can't reschedule, so I just have to take a gamble.

Drill a hole in the side of the cylinder and put a cork in it. Manual decompression, lol. :laugh:

No seriously, this problem wouldn't hold me back from buying one if I where to buy one. Doesn't seem like a big deal as long as they're willing to stand behind it and fix it. Even though the new 09's are out of the price range of what I'm willing to spend to go riding anymore, I think I'm going to go to my local Honda dealer and check the bike out anyway and see it in person, sit on it, bounce on the suspension and see how it feels, lol. :ride:

B

biglou

Kawi4life said:
I think I'm going to go to my local Honda dealer and check the bike out anyway and see it in person, sit on it, bounce on the suspension and see how it feels, lol. :ride:
That's how they get ya! It is an amazing looking bike, that's for sure.

And thanks for the info on the TSB! :cool:

Railer-I'd go regardless. Some fun is better than no fun at home waiting for parts. I'm gonna call my shop and I will schedule mine around when the part arrives. Fortunately (unfortunately) it's still very much winter here, and it will be too muddy for a while to ride, so maybe it will work out.

B

biglou

Ah, and after actually reading the article:
Not all 2009 CRF450Rs are affected by this product update, only those within the specified range. A complete listing of affected 2009 CRF450Rs will be issued with the upcoming bulletin and affected customers will be mailed a letter in early March.
Maybe I'll get lucky.

railer

Nov 4, 2005
Lou, call the shop. Mine was already able to tell me if my bike was on the list or not....it was. :(

I'm hoping the camshaft they replaced was with one from a bike that wasn't on the list. :) No way to tell that now tho.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Kawi4life said:
I think I'm going to go to my local Honda dealer and check the bike out anyway and see it in person, sit on it, bounce on the suspension and see how it feels, lol. :ride:

The bike feels light ... bring your checkbook.

Top Bottom