Norm

Mar 1, 2000
I've been toying with the idea of swapping the rims on my XR200 out for 19" front and 16" rear.

This is a second bike, and I'm interested in keeping it as a playbike and something for the wife to ride. I think the smaller wheels would make the bike easier to throw around, less intimidating for the wife, and would also get rid of the stupid 17" rear wheel.

The current hubs are 36 spoke, so I'm thinking it might be possible to use rims for the TTR125-L or XR100, which are also 36 spoke. My concern is trying to lace these up on the current hubs, since the spokes may not be the same length for the different hubs. And because this would be an uncommon swap, I don't think there are any aftermarket spoke kits available.

I'd be curious to learn any pointers/advice from anyone who has tried a similar swap. I realize I may have to use a custom wheel builder that would be able to measure the proper length spokes needed and put everything together. Any suggestions on who could do this or how much it might cost?

Thanks,
Norm

Top Bottom