kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
This bike is in the local classifieds for $800 canadian OBO. I was thinking if I could get the price down to 500$ it would be more reasonable for that old of a bike. I'm just starting out and 700$ is as much money as I currently have now. I'm 14 5' 7''. I thought this would be a decent beginners bike but the age and price still seems iffy to me. Any suggestions?

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
kx125412 said:
This bike is in the local classifieds for $800 canadian OBO. I was thinking if I could get the price down to 500$ it would be more reasonable for that old of a bike. I'm just starting out and 700$ is as much money as I currently have now. I'm 14 5' 7''. I thought this would be a decent beginners bike but the age and price still seems iffy to me. Any suggestions?

Sorry to say it, but you're going to hate that bike if you buy it, as you're already too big for it. At 5'7", you're at the bottom end of full size bikes, but too big for a mini, especially an older one like that which tends to be smaller. If you do get it, you'll be cramped at best, and won't be able to do much on it where your tires don't remain in firm contact with the dirt, as the suspension won't handle it very well. I'd suggest you pursue a larger bike. I know its tough at that age, with limited funds to find a bike, I've been there and done that, as have most on here, but you need a bike that fits you as well. No sense dumping your money into it, only to find out on the first ride, that you can't turn the handlebars, because your knees are jammed under them.

That is about the going price for bikes of that size and age, although condition varies. Some have been seriously abused, and are complete roaches, while others others have been looked after better and are still in decent shape.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I agree that you're too big for the bike, but I had one brand new in 1986. It was sweet then. 18.3 HP in the magazine test, as I recall. . .

Top Bottom