ChrisCoyle

Oct 30, 2007
Does anyone know where I might find information on parts interchangibility for the KDX line up? Many of the things I've tried to order for my 1986 are "discontinued". Going nowhere until I get my dead ignition coil replaced. Information on any used parts resources would also be greatly appreciated.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I think you will have nearly 100% parts overlap with '87 and '88 KDX's.

The '86 - '88 also will also have similarities with the '83 - '85. The '86 - '88 are basically '83 - '85 models with a powervalve, bigger fork tubes and a front disc brake.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Look on the www.buykawasaki.com site to see the part number and what other bikes have the same part number. I think the part number is superseded to the 1989 - 1994 coil part number.

dirt bike dave - Just about every part on the '86 - '88 bikes are different / better than the '83 - '85 models.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
FYI - Having different part numbers does not necesssarily mean the parts don't interchange. When a new 'generation' bike is introduced (such as the '86 KDX) it can get all new part numbers, even for the parts that were kept from the older version.

Trust me, the '86 KDX200 was not all new from the ground up.

FWIW, I had an '84 at the same time as my buddy had an '88. Lots of overlap on little things like clutch perches, etc.. and big things, such as the cases look the same, etc...

Below are an '85 and an '86.

Attachments

• 85kdx.jpg
    85kdx.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 317
  • 1986 KDX.jpg
    1986 KDX.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
dirt bike dave said:
FYI - Having different part numbers does not necesssarily mean the parts don't interchange. When a new 'generation' bike is introduced (such as the '86 KDX) it can get all new part numbers, even for the parts that were kept from the older version.

Trust me, the '86 KDX200 was not all new from the ground up.

FWIW, I had an '84 at the same time as my buddy had an '88. Lots of overlap on little things like clutch perches, etc.. and big things, such as the cases look the same, etc...

Below are an '85 and an '86.

The one on the left is sitting in my shed. Still runs too...Cal FRP, Jeff may have what you need

ChrisCoyle

Oct 30, 2007
Thanks to all that replied. Still have the 97 KDX220R to ride in the mean time. The 86 actually shares some parts with that. Found that out one day when we had them both out and lost the kickstarter on the 97.

bigbolx

Dec 25, 2007
hi ChrisCoyle, i've just joined the forum but might have help if your still not sorted with ign. prob's. try looking for tecate atv parts, (rmstator or rickeystator) had same problem with one of my kdx's and was quoted £350 (£'s not $'s) for the flywheel alone by the dealer.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
To the OP, get on e-Bay and find a used coil from 1986 - 1994. Get on the buykawasaki site and see what other models the part you want fits. Get back on e-bay and look for one from any of the bikes on the list from the buykawasaki site

Dirt Bike Dave, looking for the parts numbers on buykawasaki.com will help him. I didn't say it was the gospel and only way to find any help.

He said he had a dead coil, I gave him some information on that.

The '86 (and then '87 and '88) KDX200's were based on the 1985 KX125 frame. Other changes that you didn't mention are:

shock
linkage system
swingarm
rear wheel
front wheel
triple clamps
pipe
muffler
frame
engine cases
cylinder
head
seat
fuel tank
side panels
fenders
CDI
carburetor
airbox

How many YEARS has it been since you compared your '84 to your buddy's '88??

The '86 - '88 engine cases are different if just for the power valve sytem.

"The '86 - '88 are basically '83 - '85 models with a powervalve, bigger fork tubes and a front disc brake." No, sir. No, they are not.

graveser

Dec 26, 2007
80's parts

I have mid regular style front forks with triple trees and front wheel. If anyone is interested in buying them let me know.
ohioguy98 at yahoo com

chris

Top Bottom