2000 KDX 220R Base Cylinder Gasket

KDgtlX

Sep 21, 2022
Hey yall,

I have just come to notice that by the looks of it, my base cylinder gasket is leaking coolant on the exterior of the case.
I have changed the oil multiple times after various different rides and am seeing no milky coolant which gives me the idea that it isn't getting into the case.

What I'm asking is what might be the best route in which to proceed to evaluate the status of the base cylinder gasket. I understand it will be some work (removing the head, detaching the carb, etc.) and pretty much two-thirds of doing the top end itself but am curious as to anyone's idea of just taking it apart just to put a new gasket on there.

I'd rather not spend the $$$ on the top end as it's fairly fresh but I guess I would also know the state of it by taking a look at it on the way down to the base cylinder gasket. I just need some justification for putting in the work to get down there without doing the top end while I'm at it is what I guess I'm getting at.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I agree that you don't want to take it apart unless you have too. Are you sure it's leaking at the gasket? When the coolant is hot and under pressure does it spray out or come out faster? If it is leaking on the inside it will go into the crank area, not the tranny so there wouldn't be any mixed with the oil. If it was leaking into the crank your exhaust would have white "smoke", but if it's a small leak you not notice.

A leak-down test wouldn't help unless the gasket was breached all the way to the outside. Maybe you can do a coolant system pressure test but getting it hot will do almost the same thing (see above). Otherwise the only way to know is if you see where it is leaking through the gasket or pull off the cylinder and check.

Good luck!

KDgtlX

Sep 21, 2022
I agree that you don't want to take it apart unless you have too. Are you sure it's leaking at the gasket? When the coolant is hot and under pressure does it spray out or come out faster? If it is leaking on the inside it will go into the crank area, not the tranny so there wouldn't be any mixed with the oil. If it was leaking into the crank your exhaust would have white "smoke", but if it's a small leak you not notice.

A leak-down test wouldn't help unless the gasket was breached all the way to the outside. Maybe you can do a coolant system pressure test but getting it hot will do almost the same thing (see above). Otherwise the only way to know is if you see where it is leaking through the gasket or pull off the cylinder and check.

Good luck!
Thank you boss! Much appreciated, Think I'm just going to have to take a look. It smokes but I mean it's a 2 smoke and I'm not seeing any obvious white smoke when I'm riding.

Top Bottom