2001 220 expansion pipe to muffler connection

shoenber

Jun 25, 2003
This is my first 2 stroke and I have only had a chance to ride the bike twice so I am not sure what to expect...

The left rear side panel, left side swingarm, rear brake calipar and rear rim are getting splatered with exhaust goo from the coupler/joint of the expansion chamber pipe and mufler - I think its made of rubber.

In 2 1hr rides the exhuast goo is very noticible - looks like someone shot the side of the bike with grease buckshot.

I am using the Kawasaki 2 cycle oil mixed to the factory suggested 32:1 ratio.

Is this a normal KDX220 thing?

David

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
It happens on a lot of bikes, Mine seemed to do it more after I leaned out the stock jetting. Most people, Safety wire bolth ends to clamp it shut, run a bead of silicone arround the edges to seal it, or I just used some zip ties to snug down bolth ends.

GREENHORNET

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2003
Stock jetting is a mess, i have seen the black oil too- don't get up tight about it . i pack hi temp grease between the two stingers when i put it all together. It helps to have the grommet on right .

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
May I suggest working on your jetting. This is the best upgrade you can do for close to nothing, OK maybe 15 to 20 bucks on jets. That's pretty cheap in my opinion. And since this is my opinion might I also suggest this
;) http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/ ;)

That website will answer almost all of your questions. No doubt. (and I'm not talking about the band) :confused:

As for the rest of you, don't let CC know your zip tying, sillyconing, greasing, and hose clamping something that you can easily fix with the proper jetting. :eek:

Bricks88

Sponsoring Member
Mar 14, 2002
You can lean the premix out to 40:1 and try working on your jetting issues. If the spooge isnt coming out of the joint , where would you rather have it go? The proper fix would be to get rid of the excess unburnt fuel.As far as the coupling try light gauge tie wire done neatly,cheap and easy.Just my $.02

Top Bottom