2001 CR125R Shock Problem. Goes down, stays down, no rebound.

Feb 23, 2005
Posted this over in suspension too, so hope I don't offend anyone with the two similar posts...

I have an issue with my rear shock. The travel seems smooth, but when I put weight on the bike, the shock just sags and stays there. I can lift the bike up, but it's just like the shock is dead or something. I took it off and had the nitrogen recharged, but that was not a fix. The Honda shop wants $150+ to check it out. Anyone familiar with this issue? Anyone have a stock shock for cheap?

Let me know, any details or ideas are really appreciated!

acanz

Damn Yankees
Dec 7, 2004
**** is a start for a cheap replacement shock.

Id give the shock to the dealer and just take the $150 loss because I for one wouldnt feel save mucking with a high pressure nitrogen shock. If you can find a replacement shock for under $150, it might be worth it if you dont care about having used parts on your bike.

I checked ****, but I couldnt find a 01 shock... but I found an 00 and 02 shocks that are pretty cheap.

http://cgi.****.com/****motors/ws/*...tem=4529747909&category=35592&sspagename=WDVW

http://cgi.****.com/****motors/ws/*...tem=4529321905&category=35592&sspagename=WDVW

(replace the **** with the name of that popular auction site, I dont know why the name gets auto-blocked by the language filter :think: )

Oh yea to get the whole link right click it and select "Copy Link Location" and then paste it in the address bar, just incase you didnt know ;) .

kuritaro9

Nov 7, 2004
first, iwould check out the linkage and swingarm bearings.i had a 98 cr i got used.when i sat on it, it sank an inch then stopped.i pulled the linkage, and it was froze solid.eliminate all your possibilities before you decide to drop the cash.do you pressue wash the bike frequently?that can force water into the seals and cause havoc.also,dont be alarmed when the linkage needle bearing come out of the races.they are not caged like the swingarm,once they are clean,dab some grease in the race then start installing the needles.the grease will hold them in.just keep a count of how many come out of each bearing.... :cool:

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
What he said. Tear apart the rear end and check ALL the bearings in it. Be prepared to order a Pivot Works linkage kit to replace the ruined bearings you're almost certainly going to find. Grease the swingarm while you're at it.

The shock spring should push the rear of the bike back up, regardless of the state of the damping going on inside the shock itself. If it doesn't, then you have serious problems elsewhere.

Feb 23, 2005
Pivot point is frozen. I'm taking the rest of my questions over to suspension.

You guys rock, saved me $150. Thanks a huge amount!

Last edited:
Top Bottom