snwbrdfrk

Aug 20, 2009
hi so my friend receintly broke my bike and i needed a new stator and everything.. so i bought the stator and put it in and the bike started up just fine. after running it for about 4 minutes or so it just died out on me right as i was about to turn it off with the killswitch and it wont kick over anymore.. it seems as though gas will not go into my engine or something because everytime i kickstart it it wont start but im getting spark from my spark plug and i checked my carb and nothing seems to be wrong with it.. i can bump start it but i cant get any gas from the throttle so it just dies out.. ive litterally taken the bike apart and cant find anything wrong with it and its just pissing me off so if anyone knows what this problem can be please help me out.
thanks

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Do you have a factory service manual? My guess is no. It's a really good starting point to help you start to trouble shoot problems as well as how to properly do specific tasks. If the bike has spark, air and gas it should start. If no gas then you have a problem someplace between the fuel in the tank and the inlet to the cylinder. Not knowing just how skilled you really are or are not makes this a bit more difficult. See many people THINK they have cleaned and checked their carb when all they REALLY did is squirt some cleaner on the outside. How about telling us what exactly you did to check the carb? What did you set the float to? Was there ANYTHING in the float bowl? This is all pretty simple as long as you go at it in a methodical way. Getting all lathered up makes you miss simple things and do stupid stuff.

snwbrdfrk

Aug 20, 2009
well when i opened up the carb there was gas in it so i dumped that and i made sure nothing was wrong with the jets and just made sure there was nothing clogged in the carb. and as far as the float, i saw nothing wrong with it

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Really the only way to make sure nothing is wrong with the jets is to remove and inspect them under magnification. To make sure nothing is clogging in the carb you need to squire carb cleaner through each of the passages and make sure it comes out in the appropriate spot. The float is a pretty inert object but if it is not properly adjusted to hit the float vale or it the float valve is worn or damaged you can have some issues. The gas you dumped out was it fresh or old gas? Was there varnish in the bowl? Was theire grit in the bowl? Have you determined if you have a free flow of fuel from the tank? Loosen the gas cap and let it run that way for a bit, might be the cap. What color is the spark? have you checked all the connections you messed with? What about the ones you didn't mess with? What exactly is "everything" when you say "stator and everything"? Did you buy a new stator (and everything) or used? Have you goteen out a multimeter and checked the values? Is the plug wet after attempting to start it? Have you tried it with and without the choke on? Is there a rag in your airbox? When was the last time you cleaned & oiled the filter? How long ago was it when the valves were last adjusted? How many hours on the engine? When the bike was broken what were the circumstances?

snwbrdfrk

Aug 20, 2009
im pretty sure the gas i dumped out of the carb was new because i had absolutly no gas and i filled it up with premium gas like i always do and im not sure about varnish in the bowl or any of that it looked fine when i checked it out...i think the spark looked blue if i remember correctly and the connections are fine because thats what i thought was the problem in the first place but it they are all fine... when i say everything i mean i just bought a stator and a new stator case.. the stator was brand new and i dont know how to check the values so do you mind telling me how to do that. i didnt check the plug to see if it was wet or not. yes i tried with the choke on and off. there is no rag in my airbox and i have a k&n air filter that i cleaned just yesturday with k&n cleaner. i adjusted the valves yesturday also.. im not sure how many hours the engine had on it because i bought it used but the people i bought it from live in the city and it has been sitting in a barn for over a year so im guessing they didnt use it much.. when my bike was broken the only problem was that the chain broke through the stator case and the stator magneto coil and broke off part of the stator base that holds a part of the magneto coil.. i still havent replaced the stator base but that shouldnt be a problem in my opinion. and when it was fixed it started first kick and i was riding it down the road for a bit and then it died when i was about to stop it with my killswitch.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
OK that helps. Any chance you screwed up the valve adjustment? You know there are two timing marks. The air gap on the stator could be causing some issue if it is not set. I typically use the old matchbook cover method if I don't have the specification. Try again and then check the plug to see if it is wet or not. If it is dry put a tiny bit of fuel in the hole and pope the plug back in and see if it starts. If so you have a fuel delivery issue and you need to look harder at the carb. If it doesn't then you need to double check your valve adjustment and look at the electrical side.

snwbrdfrk

Aug 20, 2009
so today i totally took apart my carburetor to see if anything was clogged or just not working but everything seemed fine.. just for some reason when i try to kickstart now it seems like i dont get enough compresion but i know my valves are tight enough but not too tight. i doubt my bike is blown up because one of my friends bike blew up and his kickstart had absolutly no compresion to it and my bike isnt like that but it feels like its not as hard to kickover like it used to.. im running out of ideas

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Bent valve or they are not properly adjusted would be a good starting point. Was the bike being ridden hard? Don't feel bad my son bet the valve on his TWICE before we swapped back to valveless.

snwbrdfrk

Aug 20, 2009
haha yes the bike is ridden hard. but yeah ill take a look and see if my valves are bent but i dont remember seeing anything wrong with them when i adjusted them

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
How exactly do you plan to determine if the valves are bent? This isn't exactly something you are going to see with the tappet caps being removed.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I would suggest letting a professional do it then or get the manual and decide if you have the ability and tools to do the job.

snwbrdfrk

Aug 20, 2009
well if worst comes to worst ill just end up parting the bike.. i have some aftermarket parts on it so im hoping i would be able to part the whole bike and make about 800 off of it.. idk though i just want a yz125 haha im done with honda.. all my friends who have hondas have something wrong with them and all my friends with yamahas are always working... very strange... but thanks a lot for all your help i really appreciate it

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
It' not a Honda quality thing it's a operator & mechanic thing. So you want a YZ125? 'll make a very educated guess that you ride the little TRAIL BIKE like you want it to be that YZ125. Well that is not what it was designed to do, and thus you have bent the valves. You will therefore have similar problems down the road with the YZ125 because it too will need maintenance such as new rings, pistion, new crank, etc... and by ignoring these needs it will become a problem child as well.

snwbrdfrk

Aug 20, 2009
well the only reason why i rode this bike so hard was because i got it for very cheap and because it was my first bike and now its just not enough if you know what i mean... yeah i shouldnt ride it so hard but thats why i want a bigger bike, like something i would kinda be scared of, and if i get a yz125 i would most likely be paying over a grand for it so i would treat it better cause i dont want that grand to be wasted for nothing, if you know what i mean.

Top Bottom